First Shot Daily Pics

DirtTime

6 minutes ago, grampy said:

After getting dialed in pretty good Sunday with broadhead, I was all over the place last night!!  So aggravating to say the least!!!  I did tighten things up a little better after quite a few shots. out to 30 yards. But sight is maxed out all the way up, and 40 yards is hitting real high......argg!! Perhaps a new sight will be better for this bow. May put an HHA on it??  Still not confident in this bow since I put on the broadheads. Was a dream with field points. I may be going back to my old bow to hunt this year. Never had to change a thing with that old Mathews from FP's to BH's. 

Getting close now, might just break out old reliable to get my confidence back.

Dave

It sounds to me like tune is off somehow.  I never had an issue going from FP to BH.  Give me a buzz.  Perhaps we can figure it out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, grampy said:

After getting dialed in pretty good Sunday with broadhead, I was all over the place last night!!  So aggravating to say the least!!!  I did tighten things up a little better after quite a few shots. out to 30 yards. But sight is maxed out all the way up, and 40 yards is hitting real high......argg!! Perhaps a new sight will be better for this bow. May put an HHA on it??  Still not confident in this bow since I put on the broadheads. Was a dream with field points. I may be going back to my old bow to hunt this year. Never had to change a thing with that old Mathews from FP's to BH's. 

Grampy,do you have a drop away rest on that bow? I had the same thing happen to me,shooting lights out with field points,but the BH lighted nock combo was all over the place. I kept turning my nocks a quarter turn and found the sweet spot. Now the BH fly nice and hit where i want. 

With a drop away it doesn't matter much where your fletchings are.

I felt really bummed when my BH were all over the place. I was ready to screw with the rest and other things.

Now i am happy again,dead on at 30.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Dave

It sounds to me like tune is off somehow.  I never had an issue going from FP to BH.  Give me a buzz.  Perhaps we can figure it out. 

Two weeks ago, had the bow gone over axle to axle, for almost three hours, by the owner at an Obsession dealer bow shop. He checked everything. Then we paper tuned at the end, and it was perfect! Between then and when I put the broadhead and lighted nock on, it was shooting darts, out to 40 yards. With nice groups. Even got a robinhood! 

Shot a nice tight group with FP's at 20, then shot the BH. It was about 8" high and 5" right. WTH???... My old bow was always dead on making the switch to BHs. So I shot another one and another and another, all hitting the same spot. OK... So just adjusted sight. And got it better but not great. As one shot would be on and the next would be way off! Not consistent at all. Tried four different makes of fixed 100g broadheads, and three different kinds of arrows, two different spine stiffness. Seemed to be better near the end of the day, after chasing the arrows with sight adjustments. 

Then yesterday, first shot way off!!! Couldn't hit  two arrows within four inches of each other! Up, down, and both sides, just all over the place! Now my sight is maxed out high, and can't get the 40 yard pin closer than 10" high.

I concentrate on holding my form. Been bow hunting well over 40 years, so I got the basics down. But it's been a long time since I've lost my confidence like I have now in this set up. I've tried everything I can think of. Never had this problem before with any other bow. Maybe I should just take all the fancy stuff off, put on a whisker biscuit and a single pin sight, and go back to basics?

Oh....shot the same arrows I'm have the problem with from my 20 year old bow. Dead nuts on........

Sorry for the long post that is off topic.

2 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

Grampy,do you have a drop away rest on that bow? I had the same thing happen to me,shooting lights out with field points,but the BH lighted nock combo was all over the place. I kept turning my nocks a quarter turn and found the sweet spot. Now the BH fly nice and hit where i want. 

With a drop away it doesn't matter much where your fletchings are.

I felt really bummed when my BH were all over the place. I was ready to screw with the rest and other things.

Now i am happy again,dead on at 30.

Will try this the next time I shoot this weekend! Thank you.

7 hours ago, grampy said:

your tune is messed up, either nocking point is too high or low or your rest is not at a point to make our arrow level. Id start from square one with an arrow bubble level, then shoot through paper.

(just saw your post) yes id check to make sure your not getting vane contact, you shouldn't have to move your sight at all for fixed broad heads. 

Edited by Hock3y24
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, grampy said:

Two weeks ago, had the bow gone over axle to axle, for almost three hours, by the owner at an Obsession dealer bow shop. He checked everything. Then we paper tuned at the end, and it was perfect! Between then and when I put the broadhead and lighted nock on, it was shooting darts, out to 40 yards. With nice groups. Even got a robinhood! 

Shot a nice tight group with FP's at 20, then shot the BH. It was about 8" high and 5" right. WTH???... My old bow was always dead on making the switch to BHs. So I shot another one and another and another, all hitting the same spot. OK... So just adjusted sight. And got it better but not great. As one shot would be on and the next would be way off! Not consistent at all. Tried four different makes of fixed 100g broadheads, and three different kinds of arrows, two different spine stiffness. Seemed to be better near the end of the day, after chasing the arrows with sight adjustments. 

Then yesterday, first shot way off!!! Couldn't hit  two arrows within four inches of each other! Up, down, and both sides, just all over the place! Now my sight is maxed out high, and can't get the 40 yard pin closer than 10" high.

I concentrate on holding my form. Been bow hunting well over 40 years, so I got the basics down. But it's been a long time since I've lost my confidence like I have now in this set up. I've tried everything I can think of. Never had this problem before with any other bow. Maybe I should just take all the fancy stuff off, put on a whisker biscuit and a single pin sight, and go back to basics?

Oh....shot the same arrows I'm have the problem with from my 20 year old bow. Dead nuts on........

What weight is your inserts, A FOC weight addition would help i bet with those fixed heads, my magnus black hornets fly better than field points half the time. 

7 minutes ago, grampy said:

BH hitting high from FP suggests that it’s planning nock low.   I would start by moving the nock point/d loop up 1/8”.  If it is planning nock low, they will be all over.  Just a guess from a distance.  Sometimes you need slightly higher than 90 degrees to string. It’s got to be something simple Dave. 

The fact that you are maxing out on sight would also suggest nock low. 

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

One more thought Dave, you could try dropping the rest a bit instead of raising nock point so long as there is clearance.  

I will try this Brian. Looks like there is room to lower it without hitting the riser. About an eighth of an inch or so ya think?

Thanks fellas for the help! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hock3y24 said:

What weight is your inserts, A FOC weight addition would help i bet with those fixed heads, my magnus black hornets fly better than field points half the time. 

Not sure of the insert weight. But I did shoot some Bemen weight forward arrows with the same results. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Like moog said, it's likely something simple. Just have to find what it is? I will work on it over the weekend. I do love this bow. And do have time to get it right and rebuild my confidence. I still plan to get some blood on it this season! Just hope it's not mine!!..lol

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

1/8 is a lot, start with 1/16

I would move it one hash mark on the QAD - not sure what that is exactly.  Then shoot one BH followed by a FP.  Both should be low but hopefully close together.  If the BH is still higher than FP drop a bit more and if the FP is higher, you went too far and need to raise it back up a bit.  Once they are together, adjust sight.

Of course, you may not want to listen to a word I said because the wheels fell off this morning with the longbow.  No idea why and couldn't shoot through it.  Hopefully it was merely a brain glitch and I will be back to normal next session.  lol 

• Thanks 1

Just now, moog5050 said:

I would move it one hash mark on the QAD - not sure what that is exactly.  Then shoot one BH followed by a FP.  Both should be low but hopefully close together.  If the BH is still higher than FP drop a bit more and if the FP is higher, you went too far and need to raise it back up a bit.  Once they are together, adjust sight.

Of course, you may not want to listen to a word I said because the wheels fell off this morning with the longbow.  No idea why and couldn't shoot through it.  Hopefully it was merely a brain glitch and I will be back to normal next session.  lol 

walk away, come back later

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Thanks again my friend!  

Not too much can go wrong with a longbow. Just an off morning for ya perhaps?

17 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I have a feeling hes a 1/4" out of the bull and thats the "wheels coming off" at his skill level lol

Thanks for the confidence but lets just say that if it were golf, I went from shooting mid 70s to mid 90s overnight.  I will get it back if it kills me though.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Dave

21 hours ago, grampy said:

Dave if you're having troubles maybe we can meet up. what was loose?

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

Dave if you're having troubles maybe we can meet up. what was loose?

Thanks so much! I appreciate the offer my friend. Going to try a couple things before I really hit the panic button. My time just got very limited. So I'll have to shoot when I can.

14 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

All you did was swap tips on the same arrows you've been shooting and the groups went to hell?

Yes. FP's were shooting great. Shot six arrows with field points into a nice tight group at 20 yards. Picked the "best" arrow and installed a lighted nock and broadhead, and the next shot was way high and right. With or without the lighted nock made no difference. Even tried different broadheads and arrows. Still all over the place.

I will try some stuff this weekend. see what that does.

Again......thanks to everyone trying to help me out of this!!!