First Shot Daily Pics

DirtTime

Smashing an arrow once in a while is part of the program,

Nbd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It would happen every session at short yardages though. Gets expensive fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Shot on lunch.  Feeling good. Shot  2 -20 and 1 -30.  Had one tweak to do.  

Also any advice on a sight/string issue?  I'm getting a string dead middle of my peep.  If I turn nock or peep a little it is fine for that shot but settles right back there Everytime. Is there an easy fix to this that isn't taking the sight out and then have to resight in etc?  I feel it's dialed in just worry I have to remember to turn it every time.   I have a three sting peep so I get some string in there which isn't a prob but it wants to go to the worst spot everytime now. IMG_20200812_102923840.thumb.jpg.584ad434e5120ab7e13596884315849e.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Shot on lunch.  Feeling good. Shot  2 -20 and 1 -30.  Had one tweak to do.  

Also any advice on a sight/string issue?  I'm getting a string dead middle of my peep.  If I turn nock or peep a little it is fine for that shot but settles right back there Everytime. Is there an easy fix to this that isn't taking the sight out and then have to resight in etc?  I feel it's dialed in just worry I have to remember to turn it every time.   I have a three sting peep so I get some string in there which isn't a prob but it wants to go to the worst spot everytime now. IMG_20200812_102923840.thumb.jpg.584ad434e5120ab7e13596884315849e.jpg

I should say if I turn nock string or peep it is fine for one shot. Then next shot the string is right back in the way.  Have a 3 string peep and expect some in the way.   Eh I can just turn it and it works fine. Even when it doesn't I can still shoot it just seems there ought to be a better way .  But not taking peep out to start over this season. I feel like it's dialed in and don't want to touch it. 

8 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Also any advice on a sight/string issue?  I'm getting a string dead middle of my peep.

Just my two cents but I would remove the peep. They are nothing but a pain and really serve no purpose. You can get better results or just as good by concentrating on a consistent anchor point and point of aim;  plus it is one less thing to go wrong and cause aggravation.

I tried using one after learning to shoot instinctive and just could not get consistent. I started using a sight and found it even more aggravating..

I know there are a lot of guys that really depend and count on them but there is plenty of time to get use to shooting without one and it could be worth a try.

One less thing to malfunction is a step to a successful hunt instead of a frustrating experience.

So I was going to shoot tonight for the first time since 2019 now season but now I can’t find my release. I know it was in the case when I dropped the bow off for a tune up. I specifically remember it being in there and me leaving it in their when I dropped it off. No idea what happened to it from that moment last week to today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Just my two cents but I would remove the peep. They are nothing but a pain and really serve no purpose. You can get better results or just as good by concentrating on a consistent anchor point and point of aim;  plus it is one less thing to go wrong and cause aggravation.

I tried using one after learning to shoot instinctive and just could not get consistent. I started using a sight and found it even more aggravating..

I know there are a lot of guys that really depend and count on them but there is plenty of time to get use to shooting without one and it could be worth a try.

One less thing to malfunction is a step to a successful hunt instead of a frustrating experience.

I shot without a peep or a site for years with my first bow. I shot a lot more consistent once I used both.  I think it's also because I am left eye dominate and right handed.  Prob also why I suck with a pistol.  Everything is fine with it, just that string now shows up right over my pins.  It didn't use to.  

3 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I shot without a peep or a site for years with my first bow. I shot a lot more consistent once I used both.  I think it's also because I am left eye dominate and right handed.  Prob also why I suck with a pistol.  Everything is fine with it, just that string now shows up right over my pins.  It didn't use to.  

How old is your string? Sometimes all it takes is one twist or half twist of your string to straighten the peep back out. I used to have trouble with my three string one on my old bow and went to a two string one on my new bow. I like that better.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I think it's also because I am left eye dominate and right handed

That could definitely cause some problems....I just do not like a peep and feel a lot more at ease without one. Everyone has to find their own comfort and confidence level and use what works for them. All I know is a lot of deer were shot with bows before peeps came into existence. Keeping it as simple and gadget free as possible and shooting accurately is what I strive for.

Just now, BowmanMike said:

How old is your string? Sometimes all it takes is one twist or half twist of your string to straighten the peep back out. I used to have trouble with my three string one on my old bow and went to a two string one on my new bow. I like that better.

This will be my 4th season with it this year.  Was thinking going to the two string.  Just hate to touch it when it's dialed in. Lol. 

Shop I got it at sold me on the three string cause they said they stay better. Might have to try that.  I liked the old site picture with the old style and rubber tube and the two string would be like that.  Just heard sometimes they pop out? 

Am thinking this year just gonna deal with it. If I turn the string just a little it works fine. Was trying to figure an easy way to adjust it. 

Just now, Steve D said:

That could definitely cause some problems....I just do not like a peep and feel a lot more at ease without one. Everyone has to find their own comfort and confidence level and use what works for them. All I know is a lot of deer were shot with bows before peeps came into existence. Keeping it as simple and gadget free as possible and shooting accurately is what I strive for.

I hear ya. Hell when I got my first compound I shot it with fingers for years. Lol.  

Used to go to 3 D shoots and people behind us were always "you shoot that with fingers and no peep and no site? " I shot it pretty well too, but I def did improve with adding some upgrades. 

3 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

This will be my 4th season with it this year.  Was thinking going to the two string.  Just hate to touch it when it's dialed in. Lol. 

Shop I got it at sold me on the three string cause they said they stay better. Might have to try that.  I liked the old site picture with the old style and rubber tube and the two string would be like that.  Just heard sometimes they pop out? 

Am thinking this year just gonna deal with it. If I turn the string just a little it works fine. Was trying to figure an easy way to adjust it. 

It drove me nuts on my old bow. I think it might be time for a new string for you.

1 minute ago, BowmanMike said:

It drove me nuts on my old bow. I think it might be time for a new string for you.

Forgive me if I'm asking a stupid question. I am not a tech guy when it comes to bows. But I would need a new string just cause of that?  Is it that the string has lost some twist or has stretched or something?  It looks in good shape.  And is 4 years usual for a string? 

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Forgive me if I'm asking a stupid question. I am not a tech guy when it comes to bows. But I would need a new string just cause of that?  Is it that the string has lost some twist or has stretched or something?  It looks in good shape.  And is 4 years usual for a string? 

I had this same issue about 10 years ago  dealt work it i would have to twist the peep between 90 and 180 ° between every shot. In did it fit over a year. My buddies dad seen me doing this and offered to take it home and put a twist in or take one out of the string  i can't remember but whatever one he did fixed it and i didn't have to adjust my sight or anything.

8 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I am replacing my string every two years,but i shoot most of the year.

You should definetely replace yours before next season in my opinion.

You have to take your bow to a shop or a friend with a press to twist the string. It takes less than a minute.

9 hours ago, cdbing said:

X2 just put another twist in the string. It should not affect anything. Had a similar problem with my peep and that was what the bow shop did to fix it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Red said:

I had this same issue about 10 years ago  dealt work it i would have to twist the peep between 90 and 180 ° between every shot. In did it fit over a year. My buddies dad seen me doing this and offered to take it home and put a twist in or take one out of the string  i can't remember but whatever one he did fixed it and i didn't have to adjust my sight or anything.

34 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

I am replacing my string every two years,but i shoot most of the year.

You should definetely replace yours before next season in my opinion.

You have to take your bow to a shop or a friend with a press to twist the string. It takes less than a minute.

thanks much guys!  Will have to to do that.  Since its going into shop will prob just do a new string then too. Will do it over the winter.  Too close to season to mess around now for me. Im gonna also try turning my nock string a bit for now and see if that helps - thanks again 

10 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Did you try and see if you can spin your D loop on the string so it pulls the string back and aligns the peep properly?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Steve D said:

That doesnt sound like a great idea , the peep is supposed to align with the site housing to make sure you are consistant every shot . It should be part of the check list before releasing the arrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

That doesnt sound like a great idea , the peep is supposed to align with the site housing to make sure you are consistant every shot . It should be part of the check list before releasing the arrow.

Assuming arrows, nocks, loop, etc. are good; making sure you have a consistent anchor point with or without a peep is the most important factor for accuracy.

If you are shooting targets or competition your accuracy may improve but as long as I can shoot two or three inch groups without a peep I will not use one.

Practice and form will keep you in the groove. I don't recall ever seeing any guys that hunt with recurves ever using a peep.

If it works, improves your accuracy, and gives you more confidence, by all means use one.

If you can shoot at an acceptable level and are confident without one I see no need to have one.

I would also add a stabilizer to the list of not needed items. I know a lot of guys have them and use them but for me it is just one less thing to worry about getting snagged or getting in the way.

I just try to keep things as simple and light weight as possible but again....to each their own.