First Shot Daily Pics

DirtTime

Probably a dumb question but I have to ask. After flipping through a few pages I must say there is some pretty fine shooting going on but don't any of you shoot or practice from a elevated position?

I am lucky enough to be able to shoot off my deck that is approx. 10' off the ground and often thought that it may not be high enough. I do know there is a difference on impact and yardage and once I am sighted in on level ground start shooting from a elevated position.

Considering most of my hunting time is in a tree stand and have never shot a deer with a bow from the ground,  I always thought it would be best to practice off the ground if possible.

I mainly practice to work the muscles required, and to work on maintaining a constant shooting form so when and if the time comes it will be almost automatic. It is not uncommon  for me to shoot 50-60 arrows in a practice session and this time of year am practicing three to four times a week all from a elevated position and move my bale each and every round. I like to make the first one count but also like to build the confidence I can do it again and again at different yardages.

Maybe I am practicing to much if there s such a thing.

• Like 1

Sounds like a good routine and 50-60 arrows is not too much, that is what you would shoot in a league night.  It is good to shoot from different angles, not just broadside.  Be great if you have a 3D target too.   I shot tonight from the ground and most of my shots were 20 yards on a quartering away deer. 

Probably a dumb question but I have to ask. After flipping through a few pages I must say there is some pretty fine shooting going on but don't any of you shoot or practice from a elevated position?
I am lucky enough to be able to shoot off my deck that is approx. 10' off the ground and often thought that it may not be high enough. I do know there is a difference on impact and yardage and once I am sighted in on level ground start shooting from a elevated position.
 Considering most of my hunting time is in a tree stand and have never shot a deer with a bow from the ground,  I always thought it would be best to practice off the ground if possible.
 I mainly practice to work the muscles required, and to work on maintaining a constant shooting form so when and if the time comes it will be almost automatic. It is not uncommon  for me to shoot 50-60 arrows in a practice session and this time of year am practicing three to four times a week all from a elevated position and move my bale each and every round. I like to make the first one count but also like to build the confidence I can do it again and again at different yardages.

We setup a stand last year at the Academy but not this year. I'm going to shoot out my window but it's sure not the same as off a stand. Sad to say but most years I do not practice from a stand but it hasn't seemed to hurt me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

We setup a stand last year at the Academy but not this year. I'm going to shoot out my window but it's sure not the same as off a stand. Sad to say but most years I do not practice from a stand but it hasn't seemed to hurt me

And this is the subject we chatted about earlier today over the phone.......as I said, for years I've been flinging a arrows from my 2nd floor bathroom into a Block target.  Usually first thing in the morning so neighbors don't get alarmed. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Otto said:

Sounds like a good routine and 50-60 arrows is not too much, that is what you would shoot in a league night.  It is good to shoot from different angles, not just broadside

I stick 3 balloons blown up to about three inches to my foam bale with small finishing nails. Shoot til I pop all 3,  blow 3 more up, move the bale to a different yardage and angle and do it again. Each time I am shooting at a different target/color.

The best part is I don't blow up the balloons, I have a small compressor in the basement that does a fine job.

Balloons are fairly cheap and easy to dispose of.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

And this is the subject we chatted about earlier today over the phone.......as I said, for years I've been flinging a arrows from my 2nd floor bathroom into a Block target.  Usually first thing in the morning so neighbors don't get alarmed. 

The club has an elevated platform ,larry and i are allowed to bring guests too. 

13 hours ago, Steve D said:

Always shoot off my roof ,each year . I also practice from the ground with my feet close together ,like they are on a stand , while leaning  against a tree .

I also shoot at least one field point from my stand each sit . That one arrow is worth more then a dozen shot in my yard .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nomad said:

also shoot at least one field point from my stand each sit . That one arrow is worth more then a dozen shot in my yard .

I also carry two target arrows when I am hunting. I don't shoot one every time but quite often will shoot one just to make sure. My favorite target is dead stumps so I don't have to look all over for the arrow.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Steve D said:

Did that this morning for the first time. 

Switched to broadheads and shot this from the ground at 18 yards. 

image.thumb.jpeg.55bcabc96bc30eb62839b2b957b273f3.jpeg

Then moved into a stand and shaved a feather at 15 yards from the bottom of the stand.  

image.thumb.jpeg.c76f3236e28a248bd3cebd0ec750e917.jpeg

First time shooting from the stand. All my fancy footwork went right out the door as I struggled to figure how to pretzel my body on the little platform to get a decent aim. 

I was hitting the safety rail with my bow, the carabiner in my safety line was clanging against the stand, the knife on my belt was banging against the harness buckle ... I was a one-man band of noise  

This will not be easy. 

Edited by left field
  • Like 2

Sunday evening after last light. Peep rotated, anchor different, or form was a little off based on each shot being consistently at 4 oclock from dead center. Who knows it was pretty dark.

Forgot range..... 20 yards.

3483f47b309ddf025d1f8ff98359482e.jpg&key=653fbfe660fcaccf53a2e50be44e72db5faedfba6a8dadca6313222a761066b4

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

IMG_3438.JPGIMG_3437.JPG
b6c92234ae8006ad6d019cb4bcc75e3d.jpg

2 shot group was 25yds and 28yds.

3 shot group was 29, 32, and 34

Single shot was 35yds

All 6 shots were using 25yd hunting pin and just aiming by feel on height and lobbing it in. Feeling good. Took 13 total shots

• Like 2

20 hours ago, left field said:

I was hitting the safety rail with my bow, the carabiner in my safety line was clanging against the stand, the knife on my belt was banging against the harness buckle ... I was a one-man band of noise  

Just goes to show there is more to practice than just shooting. I have probably made about every mistake a bow hunter can make but will more than likely come up with a new one. I always seem to find a new reason to kick myself.

Should of, would of, could of :huh:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Just goes to show there is more to practice than just shooting. I have probably made about every mistake a bow hunter can make but will more than likely come up with a new one. I always seem to find a new reason to kick myself.

Should of, would of, could of :huh:

But I'm already famous for finding new ways to tangle a fly line. "Man, you really LF'd that one."

You'd move your rest to shrink a 1/4" group at 40 yards?

No the sight has a micro adjust I wanted to move the whole group not shrink it lol. At 20 and 30 it’s just a hair to the left of center so I don’t care at 40 it drifts a little more left

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1