All Day Sits

nybuckboy

I don't do many all day sits until the heat of the rut and then it's not that often.  My buddy who's land I hunt, bed I sleep in and booze I drink needs help with fall chores and I'm "it".

When I do sit all day it's after the work is done or there's things I can do after dark.  I like a overcast day, cool temps and maybe a little drizzle................oh baby!

• Like 1

That's why I built the big tower stands..I can even go out at bed time unfold the cot and if it's cold turn on the big buddy heater and sleep until hunting time. Coolers are always packed with water and I pack in breakfast and lunch. Other wise my back and legs won't take sitting in the same spot for more than 4-5 hrs at a time.

In years past, I used to do all day sits quite often. Mostly during the month of of November. But if I had the time, chores done, work and family obligations taken care of, I would pull all dayers, where I could. Now, my body will not let me do an all day sit. Nor will I want to during times of low deer activity. I may be out all day though! But usually sit from before light to 11 or 12. come out to my truck, for a coffee and hard roll or something like that. Loosen up and warm all the body parts that need it. Then move to a different set up, based on time of year and what I think the deer are doing. Usually  I'm only out an hour or so then head back in. On November 10th and a few days either side of that date, I bring my coffee and eats with me. I may move to another close by set up, if the wind shifts or something. But at this point of the season, I've chosen a certain set up for good reason and will not move.

• Like 1

Even though this is post in bow hunting section I'll contribute as a gun hunter only. Drive an hour , it's my day off I took to hunt, can't shoot them from the couch. Many dark to darks for me. Had about 125 hours in for gun season last year. Most of which all day sits. Cold doesn't bother me. 

IMG_6324.PNG

• Like 5

I have done a few.  Usually at the start of the season I will do a few and sometimes during the rut when all hell brakes loose!  Hard to leave when activity is in a frenzy.  Last few days of the season in January I might do a few more.  

I can only do this in a tree, when I am on the ground I tend to move locations at least a few times a day.  Not easy to do a full days sit and my hat goes off to anyone who can!  As I get older I find I need to stretch more and MORE!

I do all day sits at the peak of the rut, opening day and sometimes during smoke pole just because its near the end of season. I make sure I'm prepared for it. Hardest sit was in December, 15 mile wind and 15 degrees but I did it! Helped that I counted 25 deer that day, well worth it. 

• Like 2

Most of my sits are all day. Even if I tag one I get it out as quickly as possible then back in stand it is. I might move from a morning stand to an afternoon stand but that is it. Once I am in the woods I'm there to stay. They will move any time and I want to be there when they do.

2 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Even though this is post in bow hunting section I'll contribute as a gun hunter only. Drive an hour , it's my day off I took to hunt, can't shoot them from the couch. Many dark to darks for me. Had about 125 hours in for gun season last year. Most of which all day sits. Cold doesn't bother me. 

IMG_6324.PNG

I know I've said this before, but your grit and determination, is rarely seen in a lot hunters! Myself included! You really are the Ever ready bunny!

• Like 4

I only hunt a handful of days each year so I go dark-dark, except if its a Sunday and the Chiefs are playing at 1pm, then I leave around 1130am.

My Dad has done 20+ dark-dark days during shotgun season the last 40+ years in a row. Many of his biggest bucks came during that 11am-2pm timeframe when other hunters are probably leaving or coming in.

• Like 2

i used to but have realized it depends on the spot and situation.  many aren't as productive comparing morning and evenings.  i'm sitting there with a plan and often i don't have a spot where specific bucks go by both in the morning and the evening.  once the first hot doe start coming in i'll hunt likely travel corridors/natural funnels if i don't have any deer specifically patterned well enough.  then i might stay at the same spot.  if action seems to have slowed a bit mid day i'll scout ridge sides and fields nearby from a distance as long as i'm not bumping deer.  late season i've sat all day in one stand watching a food source.  also when weather is getting nasty i've sat all day watching a swamp with some pines that served as thermal cover.  if i sit all day though it has to make sense to do so.  otherwise i'll burn out stands and have little opportunity to show for it.

I almost have never done and all day sit in one spot on one stand. I may spend  the whole day in the woods but may move from stand to stand or do a still hunt. But most of the time I hunt mornings and afternoons before or after work. If I hit a hot morning during the rut I have sat 5-6-7 hours. I usually need some kind of break if just to walk back to the house or truck for 30 minutes.

• Like 1

Opening day of gun season is an all-day sit. I just sit there staring off into space, drinking coffee, and munching down sandwiches. My luck during gun season relies on a major escape route, which depends on hunter movement. And that movement can come at anytime during the day. The rest of the gun season is all still hunting for as long as my old legs can take it.

Bow season is generally a couple hours in the morning and a couple hours in the afternoon on stand. I try not to make it a test of endurance.

21 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I almost have never done and all day sit in one spot on one stand. I may spend  the whole day in the woods but may move from stand to stand or do a still hunt. But most of the time I hunt mornings and afternoons before or after work. If I hit a hot morning during the rut I have sat 5-6-7 hours. I usually need some kind of break if just to walk back to the house or truck for 30 minutes.

Agree. I should clarify that my previous post about dark-dark is not 1 spot for 14 hours. Its not moving from dark - 10/11am, still hunting midday and then sitting still from 1-2pm - dark.

Actually, my still hunting in gun season looks more like very, very slow progress through certain stretches of woods that is basically a series of many stand hunts. Walk very slow for 50 to 100 yards and then sit for a half hour or so and then repeat. So in a way, it can be considered an all-day stand, just not at one place. The all day stand on the gun opener is truly all day in one place.

• Like 1