Fisher denied. Don't mess with my cat!

Our chicken coop got raided overnight last week. Lost a bird and some eggs. I suspected a Raccoon or a Opossum as this is kind of an occasional event. I put a havahart trap out and set up a trail cam. Got a big male Opossum the first night, but when I pulled the card the other day, I saw that this smallish Fisher was looking for an easy chicken dinner during the daylight hours. Our outdoor cat has her own "apartment" in the coop and has become the defacto rooster for our little flock. She's gotten sick and tired of getting raided so she had a skirmish with the Fisher and ran it off. No harm to her, no harm to any birds. Funny thing is, she's very docile and has an indoor cat personality. She gets extra canned food and extra attention for the next week!

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender1.jpg

FullSizeRender2.jpg

FullSizeRender3.jpg

Edited by Steuben Jerry
Spelling
  • Like 15

That's a tough cat right there...wish Jade was a bit more aggressive...she sits and watches as every wild animal around raid her food dish on the porch...leaving me nasty little(not always so little) "gifts"

We had a cat before jade.... Oliver...He was 3x's the size of jade and one day while I was baby sitting a pit bull I heard a screaming from the back porch play room...Oliver had that full grown pit in a corner ...fanny up above the window sill head on the rug screaming as Oliver sat on his haunches pounding that poor dogs face like Ali in a prize fight...You could hear the skin ripping....Ohh boy That was a mess and one angry dog owner...

Yep your cat needs lots of love for that go around...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, greg54 said:

That is so cool! I would give her Fancy Feast for a week! Good Kitty!

Full can of exactly that this morning! I have to admit, from the little I know about Fishers, I would have expected it to kill the cat. I'm pleasantly surprised at the outcome. I've never been any kind of cat person, but I did get attached to her. I'm thinking the Fisher is a juvenile, and I expect it'll be back. Camera will stay out, and I think I'll move another near it and set it on video.

• Like 2

Fishers, like most wild predators, are not looking for a fight...They are looking at getting some protein with the least amount of energy AND the least  risk of injury involved,,,

I have seen an aggressive 10 pound housecat  take on a 40 pound springer spaniel and send the dog running for cover..

I think the fisher was very prudent in making a rapid retreat....It was probably well fed...If it were starving, the results may have been different..

• Like 2