My local yotes

The_Real_TCIII

I think year-round open season for trapping and hunting coyotes would be good here in NY state.   Unfortunately, it will probably take the loss of a toddler, and the resulting lawsuits for that to occur.  Under the current restrictions, it is not so much a matter of "if", but "when" this will happen. 

Also, what makes things difficult in areas like where the OP dog-attack occurred, is the urban sprawl and the difficulties for hunters and trappers to gain access to the problem areas.   I live just a few miles to the north, in a more agricultural area, and the coyotes are much less of a problem here.   They would be virtually non-existent here if we could target them year-round.   At no time are they easier to kill than they are out in the hay fields, after it is fresh cut and they are less than a year old.   With current regs, they are "safe" at that time, except for the few strays that get struck by lightning or fall ill for some other mysterious cause.     

11 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I think year-round open season for trapping and hunting coyotes would be good here in NY state.   Unfortunately, it will probably take the loss of a toddler, and the resulting lawsuits for that to occur.  Under the current restrictions, it is not so much a matter of "if", but "when" this will happen. 

Also, what makes things difficult in areas like where the OP dog-attack occurred, is the urban sprawl and the difficulties for hunters and trappers to gain access to the problem areas.   I live just a few miles to the north, in a more agricultural area, and the coyotes are much less of a problem here.   They would be virtually non-existent here if we could target them year-round.   At no time are they easier to kill than they are out in the hay fields, after it is fresh cut and they are less than a year old.   With current regs, they are "safe" at that time, except for the few strays that get struck by lightning or fall ill for some other mysterious cause.     

Oh they get struck by lighting a lot around these part's. Perfect sunny afternoon and BAM, Lightning Strike's!'

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

.   At no time are they easier to kill than they are out in the hay fields, after it is fresh cut and they are less than a year old.   With current regs, they are "safe" at that time, except for the few strays that get struck by lightning or fall ill for some other mysterious cause.     

Hard to believe a God fearing man would even hint about doing something like that.

• Like 4

Come on now we resort to killing them as babies....no true sportsman outdoorsman person would purposely want to kill baby animals. That's messed (use of a better word) up.

Sure I'll admit to taking a fawn or yearling or 2 a year but they are not on mom still and fend for themselves and many areas I hunt have 6 possible doe tags. But as legit babies....sicking to me

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I agree,nor should they be irradicated,that said people need to wake up. They need to wake up on a lot of animal issues and realize they are changing. WE are forcing those changes to happen faster and differently then we are actually taught change happens in nature. I'm not talking physical,well to a point  for these easterns arent your western coyotes they bred with wolves..we now know that. Just like grizzlies and polar bears are doing..Which over the course of history has happened occationally. Though now is increasing at an excelerated rate.. Like coyotes they will addapt and move. They just won't breed like rabbits....coyotes seem too. Deer...mess with them and what do they do? Change how they view their territory and adapt...safe zones,nocturnal,muliple births,and a difference in sex ratios in fawns...What does the DEC do in areas where this occurs more frequently? They lengthen seasons increas tags practically advertise nuisance permits out of season. They need to stop being on the defensive with the public about coyotes and start being straight about the VERY REAL dangers they can and are increasingly posing. I don't  give a danm about how many adults they have actually killed.  No one will the first kid attacked and maimed or killed. I remember years ago on here talking about the pack that stalked and surrounded me..I was called names and delusional ,ect,ect..then sat back and watched as GUYS mentioned being stalked,charged meniced over the years. With those stories increasing. So now I'll sit back and watch as stories such as in the original post increase as they have been,waiting to see when you'll wake up.

Edited by growalot

I agree,nor should they be irradicated,that said people need to wake up. They need to wake up on a lot of animal issues and realize they are changing. WE are forcing those changes to happen faster and differently then we are actually taught change happens in nature. I'm not talking physical,well to a point  for these easterns arent your western coyotes they bred with wolves..we now know that. Just like grizzlies and polar bears are doing..Which over the course of history has happened occationally. Though now is increasing at an excelerated rate.. Like coyotes they will addapt and move. They just won't breed like rabbits....coyotes seem too. Deer...mess with them and what do they do? Change how they view their territory and adapt...safe zones,nocturnal,muliple births,and a difference in sex ratios in fawns...What does the DEC do in areas where this occurs more frequently? They lengthen seasons increas tags practically advertise nuisance permits out of season. They need to stop being on the defensive with the public about coyotes and start being straight about the VERY REAL dangers they can and are increasingly posing. I don't  give a danm about how many adults they have actually killed.  No one will the first kid attacked and maimed or killed. I remember years ago on here talking about the pack that stalked and surrounded me..I was called names and delusional ,ect,ect..then sat back and watched as GUYS mentioned being stalked,charged meniced over the years. With those stories increasing. So now I'll sit back and watch as stories such as in the original post increase as they have been,waiting to see when you'll wake up.

I'll refrain from laughing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey TC.  I was out shed hunting our area this spring and saw these 2 yotes coming.  Did a mouth call (have to turn volume up to hear it) and they circled downwind, checked me out and meandered off.  Pretty cool encounter.

First ones I've physically seen in our area despite the immense amount of time I spend in our woods.  I think they are around, but not abundant.

IMG_3571.MOV

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NFA-ADK said:

Personally I don't believe the theory:  (If you shoot to many coyotes they will just reproduce more.)  Can't reproduce if they are dead.  

This is true with biology of all animals.  Deer are a great example.  They drop fawns based on the carrying capacity of the land.  In tough conditions with scarce food or water, they will drop a single fawn or possibly not even breed.  In abundant years they will drop twins or triplets.  Coyotes are no different inasmuch as they will product pups up to their ability to sustain a population.

• Like 3

Growalot, I don't know you and haven't been on this site as long as you have but... It seems like you have stories about being stalked and attacked by a lot of animals in the woods? More than seemingly everyone else combined. I'm not calling you a liar but surely you can see where that comes off as hard to believe? I spend an immense amount of time in the woods (I work shift work so essentially I'm in the woods all day for half the month, more during hunting season) and I've never been threatened by any animal, never bumped into a rabid one (that I know of) etc... That's not to say it can't happen, but the frequency that it happens to you is alarmingly high, don't you think?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Growalot, I don't know you and haven't been on this site as long as you have but... It seems like you have stories about being stalked and attacked by a lot of animals in the woods? More than seemingly everyone else combined. I'm not calling you a liar but surely you can see where that comes off as hard to believe? I spend an immense amount of time in the woods (I work shift work so essentially I'm in the woods all day for half the month, more during hunting season) and I've never been threatened by any animal, never bumped into a rabid one (that I know of) etc... That's not to say it can't happen, but the frequency that it happens to you is alarmingly high, don't you think?

It's obviously because the packed up wolfyotes tend to go after the injured, you must not have the list of ailments grow does.

• Like 2

I get a little uneasy whenever there are toothy critters that begin to lose their natural fear of humans no matter what they are. And yes details of coyote attacks are not exactly hard to find anymore with at least one death that I have heard of. We have all seen the stories and pictures of coyotes moving into cities and becoming brazen challengers of residents there. Any of these predators that are allowed to multiply unchecked, will sooner or later result in some nasty encounters with humans. So I may not be quite as eager as some to imply that someone is stretching the truth.

• Like 1

I get a little uneasy whenever there are toothy critters that begin to lose their natural fear of humans no matter what they are. And yes details of coyote attacks are not exactly hard to find anymore with at least one death that I have heard of. We have all seen the stories and pictures of coyotes moving into cities and becoming brazen challengers of residents there. Any of these predators that are allowed to multiply unchecked, will sooner or later result in some nasty encounters with humans. So I may not be quite as eager as some to imply that someone is stretching the truth.

I am just the opposite, I trust a wild dog more than a strangers "pet." I at least know what the coyotes intentions are.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chrisw said:

Simple answer....Growie probably TASTES better than you do, Chris...

Well pygmy...your mind aside:wink:...I probably did...when I called the DEC about it the sargent asked me exactly what happened step by step... I was hanging my outer hunting clothes in the goat barn as a cover scent...and stopping on the way out to put them on..."Thats it, you smelled like breakfast".. We agreed that with the coyotes in the area I needed to find a different cover scent..I washedthem and started dragging walnut shells stom poo ed in a mesh bag...lesson learned

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

Well pygmy...your mind asidekolobok_wink.gif...I probably did...when I called the DEC about it the sargent asked me exactly what happened step by step... I was hanging my outer hunting clothes in the goat barn as a cover scent...and stopping on the way out to put them on..."Thats it, you smelled like breakfast".. We agreed that with the coyotes in the area I needed to find a different cover scent..I washedthem and started dragging walnut shells stom poo ed in a mesh bag...lesson learned

Every time I read these posts this is what I picture
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, beachpeaz said:

This is true with biology of all animals.  Deer are a great example.  They drop fawns based on the carrying capacity of the land.  In tough conditions with scarce food or water, they will drop a single fawn or possibly not even breed.  In abundant years they will drop twins or triplets.  Coyotes are no different inasmuch as they will product pups up to their ability to sustain a population.

Carrying capacity is a big factor when relating to food resources and that has a direct relation to health, if winters are light that adds to additional good health equaling more animal, no argument their. 

The X-factor is US, we can simply wipe out any species we want if we really try, I am talking big game and medium like yotes.  Look at any animal we considered "pests".  They all went onto the endangered list at one point to basically save them.  Next was regulations to save even more.  Deer we decimated to less than 300,000 at one point the only thing that saved them was conservation.  We have the ability to decimate just about any population if the demand is high enough, we have done it many times throughout history.  Today we have more and better weapons. 

9 hours ago, NFA-ADK said:

Carrying capacity is a big factor when relating to food resources and that has a direct relation to health, if winters are light that adds to additional good health equaling more animal, no argument their. 

Just a personal belief here, but I think the coyote may be one of the few critters that actually comes out of a severe winter stronger, and in better condition than they would a mild one. Thinking back a few years ago when we got blasted by that polar vortex that wouldn't let go, there were critter carcasses laying everywhere that year. Severe winterkill of other species made it easy for the coyotes to find a free meal without expending any more energy than they had to by hunting/chasing  down live prey.

I'm not sure there's any truth to my theory, but I do recall a woods that was void of any other signs of life, was then covered with an overwhelming amount of coyote tracks and other sign connecting the dots from carcass to carcass.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, wooly said:

Just a personal belief here, but I think the coyote may be one of the few critters that actually comes out of a severe winter stronger, and in better condition than they would a mild one. Thinking back a few years ago when we got blasted by that polar vortex that wouldn't let go, there were critter carcasses laying everywhere that year. Severe winterkill of other species made it easy for the coyotes to find a free meal without expending any more energy than they had to by hunting/chasing  down live prey.

I'm not sure there's any truth to my theory, but I do recall a woods that was void of any other signs of life, was then covered with an overwhelming amount of coyote tracks and other sign connecting the dots from carcass to carcass.

It is definitely easier for them to run down mature deer in the deep snow than it is without.  Those big padded paws are almost like snowshoes, while the narrow hoofs on a deer sink right thru, wasting tons of energy and making for an easy run-down.   Nothing is easier for them to catch than an old rutted-out buck in the deep snow.   While the fat does and yearlings leave him behind in the loose powder, he quickly becomes coyote food.  After spring fawning season, that is the second "happy time" each year for the coyotes up in the north country.       

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1