My local yotes

The_Real_TCIII

Stone your right and thanks for cluing him into that...They train coyote and actually bear dogs on a place near camp... Royal PITA for me when I bow hunt down there..they aren't quite...but I think perhaps less noisy then their trainers...Now during 4 H and we are talking years ago there were several guys in this area trapping and hunting them on one farm ...Just one farm one guy would take 5 a week off, in trap lines. One learns a lot being a 4 H leader in two separate counties...Livingston and Steuben for years.

PS.. I won't mention the owners name But I will tell you the area and that is the Atlanta area.. sorry years ago and fact. Now take into account the increase coyotes have had over the years since.

Edited by growalot

idk why everyone hates coyotes so much. To me, being able to actually call one in and shoot it would be just as much of a trophy as shooting a nice buck. Definitely harder IMO. Seems most yotes in NY are shot incidentally while deer hunting.

I agree. I spend 20-30 days a year in the deer woods for 25 years and can literally count on one hand the number I've seen. Same with bears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

But if you trap them wont the just produce more according to what is posted!???  (Sarcasm)

Not so says the trapper,  and this is not the first time I have heard a trapper say this!  If you work at removing them with trapping and other types of hunting they will have the populations lowered simple as that.  And Biz stop insulting us deer hunters, lol.  

"I'm smart, not like people always saying."  :taunt:

I figure most will know that quote.

• Like 3

BTW... I no longer have a problem...I get a couple a year but nothing like we use to and how do I know they are gone? The incessant night shots heard from my, always open 24/7 bedroom window...The crazy # of fox on our place and raccoon ...even though an average of 20 are taken here every year..Also the increase in turkey and birds of prey... see even with the increase in fox...with the coyotes gone there is an increase in prey  so the other predators can increase in #'s. So for my observations...they deserve the bad rap they have...and I'll gladly be woken up every night if need be with a hardy THANK YOU to the guys doing the shooting...if that's what keeps them in someone elses "back forty"

Edited by growalot

Same old story... Yada, yada, yada, "hide your kids, hide your wives, they're killing everything!" I've found that the people who complain about their numbers most are the ones deathly afraid of them. If coyotes are so overpopulated in these areas then you should consider deer way overpopulated because you'll see 50 deer to every coyote. Everyone is a biologist now it seems.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, growalot said:

BTW... I no longer have a problem...I get a couple a year but nothing like we use to and how do I know they are gone? The incessant night shots heard from my, always open 24/7 bedroom window...The crazy # of fox on our place and raccoon ...even though an average of 20 are taken here every year..Also the increase in turkey and birds of prey... see even with the increase in fox...with the coyotes gone there is an increase in prey  so the other predators can increase in #'s. So for my observations...they deserve the bad rap they have...and I'll gladly be woken up every night if need be with a hardy THANK YOU to the guys doing the shooting...if that's what keeps them in someone elses "back forty"

Stop being such a girl! I'm glad coyotes are here now. Gives us variety of game. 20 years ago, there was barely any mention of coyotes or bears in my area, now they are here. I wish NY had more than 2 big game species (Deer & Bear). Some states have 7-10, I think Alaska has like 15.

7 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Same old story... Yada, yada, yada, "hide your kids, hide your wives, they're killing everything!" I've found that the people who complain about their numbers most are the ones deathly afraid of them. If coyotes are so overpopulated in these areas then you should consider deer way overpopulated because you'll see 50 deer to every coyote. Everyone is a biologist now it seems.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Exactly. How many people have been killed by coyotes in NY in the last 10 years? I will go out on a limb and say 0. Therefore, probably a better chance of a human being killed by a rutting deer.

Being a girl  has NOTHING to do with it... To be honest my BIGGEST issue with them is the cluelessness the humans display in realizing just how big a predator they actually are. I don't know what it is...growing up with the road runner cartoons, the images of the little skittish western coyotes...These are NOT the same animal and when they move in on a area ...they displace other predators and prey.

20 years ago, there was barely any mention of coyotes

Really because 20 years ago sheep farmers and beef farmers were having a hard time with loosing stock and raising hell with the DEC and more than 20 years ago ...actually 35 years ago I was riding bike nightly in Avon NY watching them darting in and out of yards and across the road everywhere in the village.. are you even 30 yet  Biz?

22 minutes ago, growalot said:

Being a girl  has NOTHING to do with it... To be honest my BIGGEST issue with them is the cluelessness the humans display in realizing just how big a predator they actually are. I don't know what it is...growing up with the road runner cartoons, the images of the little skittish western coyotes...These are NOT the same animal and when they move in on a area ...they displace other predators and prey.

The bigger the better for mounts/fur. No reason for humans to be scared of coyotes.

16 minutes ago, growalot said:

Really because 20 years ago sheep farmers and beef farmers were having a hard time with loosing stock and raising hell with the DEC and more than 20 years ago ...actually 35 years ago I was riding bike nightly in Avon NY watching them darting in and out of yards and across the road everywhere in the village.. are you even 30 yet  Biz?

I said "in my area". I'm 33 and when I first started hunting they were barely seen or heard of, but in the last 20+ years they have continued to grow in population and its really cool. I enjoy hearing them howl nearby when I'm hunting deer waiting for the sun to rise or actually seeing one in the woods, though I missed one last year.

• Like 1

Grow my dad has been trapping 50 years. There were hardly any yotes to speak of even 20 years ago. When you caught one you made front page of the trapping newsletter and everyone knew about it. I'm sure there was a few...but again it was people exaggerating the population level back then too. 1 dead calf pig goat or dog and all of a sudden we are over run with coyotes....same story different time.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

OK stone ..hey Add blind to delusional as well because..... the many many times Shirley and I would be standing at Tell Em Where You got It shop...because she was always working the counter...We both never went out to actually look at the coyote haul guys would stop in with.. many usually from around the Castile areas or Canisteo if I recall but a damn good many from the Wayland,Dansville, Mt Morris areas as well... I understand...if you and your dad haven't seen it, well never happens... there are few coyotes out there. Hey I'm done ...until the next I told you so a rises that is,I can wait.

• Like 1

Growie - It's a good thing you don't live out west. You have a tough time with yotes and wild dogs. I can only imagine the headaches you would have with the addition of wolves, mountain lions, badgers, grizzlies, jackrabbits, and kudamundi's.

• Like 1

I don't mind some yotes but growie is right in one respect at least around more populated areas. And that is they tend to be more bold. This is due to not being harassed, trapped, hunted and shot at. There is also a lot more of those "toy" dogs out there these days. No self respecting old timer would have a 4 pound dog!! That's a snack lol.

They get shot on site around here, I see them quite often and run a bunch of cams. Where I hunt they rarely are in any kind of pack. Moms and pups, a pair but mostly solo. Up north in the Dacks I've seen more run together but also a lot of singles. So I guess my yotes have less wolf in them than those big packs? By the way does anyone have cam picks of there own of packs they want to share??

• Like 1

I love the fact you say things like that when I'm out in the woods with these animals on a daily bases ...I go out hunting 1 1/2 before day light and sometimes an hour after...I will go out at mid night to track a deer and Gut it in the dark surrounded by eyes with nothing more than a knife in my hand and I go to camp to bow hunt bear ...all by my self...you are rich, really ..I challenge you to do what I do with two bad knees and arthritis...It slows you down a bit...but bring plenty of TP because I have no doubt that if you ever have some of the encounters I have had over the years...you'll need it...

This Pit Bull was saved as a baby by this owner who found him cowering near his home in a corner scared and alone.  Unable to bring him to a shelter as they will only kill "Those Types of dogs" they ended up keeping the dog and it has never bit any other cat or dog in the area yet after an attack on there goat that killed the animal this dog ended up killing a coyote the very next day!  GO SPIKE!!!

Warning graphic content of a dog killing a sick looking coyote.  

Weird video. The coyote is obviously sick. Why would you let your pet near it to possibly get rabies or something. If they wanted to put it out of it's misery shoot it. Why sit there and watch a dog maul it. A bit sick in my opinion, put your pets at risk unnecessarily and cause any animal suffering it did not need to have and most likely for the entertainment of posting on you tube.

• Like 1

What history is there in North America of coyotes killing an adult human ?  I know of one, a female singer who was killed in Quebec a few years ago...She probably ran...

I'm old and fat and I'd take on any coyote in the woods with a stick and a rock.....I'd rather have a firearm, however, and I usually carry one when I am out and about, so that is a moot point..

What history is there in North America of coyotes killing an adult human ?  I know of one, a female singer who was killed in Quebec a few years ago...She probably ran...
I'm old and fat and I'd take on any coyote in the woods with a stick and a rock.....I'd rather have a firearm, however, and I usually carry one when I am out and about, so that is a moot point..

I believe 2 all time in history and that number isn't going up anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1