water Hole

haha... aside from the high fenced property pond photo i pulled off the internet.......

in all honesty a shallow 100-200 gallon watering tub buried in the ground works great with a density no more than 1 per 20+ acres.  less is more in this case.  if you can tie it into a spring with an out flow it's the perfect situation. it'll stay clean that way and won't freeze up completely.  huge late season draw.  otherwise you need to be able to access it with gravity flow water tank on my of atv, utv, or truck to fill it.

Whether one puts food out, plants food for wildlife, sets stands up according to natural food, or commercially planted fields. Your using it to your advantage .. call it baiting.. call it scouting call it whatever. But I think "building up" a property only adds value to it. In more ways than one. A corn pile doesn't. Water holes and manicured fields/plots also supports more then a few whitetail or coon mouths.. vs bait piles

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

lol..whats up with that color?
Honestly I don't know. Supplements in the water? I do know Greenlakes sp has the same look due to mineral content, precipitate formation, and other factors like layers of its water doesn't mix. Idk. Maybe ask fsw. Farm deer are his wheel house.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just a quick point not to confuse, in all logic once a bait pile is gone thats just it, its gone. A food plot and / or water source can potentially sustain wildlife year round (thats my intention). Those are 2 huge variables. Thats why i take insult when people say food plots are bait or unethical. You dont have to agree, but dont cast stones.

Edited by NYBowhunter
Spelling
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Gringo said:

While "unethical" might be a bit strong of a word  I will say that personally I do not agree with planting of food plots to attract deer. However, that is only my thought on the matter, obviously everyone is free to do as they wish upon their own land.  

Do you hunt your own land, someone else's, or public?  It's fine that you don't agree with food plots. Have you ever planted anything? Worked you own ground at all? Even a small garden for yourself and family? Tried to improve any wildlife habitat? Tried to give back to the animals you hunt? You are entitled to your opinion and preffered way of hunting. As long as it's legal, it's all just hunting to me. And I will never put down a method of hunting because I don't do it or agree with it. I don't think that accomplishes anything. Why narrow our opportunities? Still hunting is a cool way to hunt. Killed a couple of my biggest bucks still hunting. But I don't limit myself to one way of getting it done. I've found challenge and enjoyment, in hunting many different ways and places. As long as it's within the law, it's all good! 

• Like 2

There is an entire facebook group dedicated to NE food plots.    The work is insurmountable.    It requires heavy equipment, hours & hours of intense labor.    And it's expensive.    I wouldn't exactly call it baiting, like throwing out a bag of corn.

I manage my little 3 acres, not for deer.   Just to keep it looking nice as my house sits on the middle.   Wooded and grass.   It's a lot of work.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Our best food plots are the beans and corn planted every year on the property next door.  

A few acres of uncut corn, helps not only the hunter in late season but also the deer and other critters that survive after the hunting season. Give and take. It's been a few years since I've killed a deer near one of our plots. I actually prefer to hunt hemlock swamps, oak ridges, and thick funnel areas. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, grampy said:

A few acres of uncut corn, helps not only the hunter in late season but also the deer and other critters that survive after the hunting season. Give and take. It's been a few years since I've killed a deer near one of our plots. I actually prefer to hunt hemlock swamps, oak ridges, and thick funnel areas. 

Most of the time we don't put plots in but when we do, it's not to hunt over the plot.   Honestly the best year I had hunting, we put 0 plots in.  My buddy put a bean plot in this year but it's middle of a field so not really to hunt over (at least with bow) and not growing anyways. Lol

not to step on this post,but when I bought my property I was told you can't alter the water. there's a pond in the back and a stream up by my house I wanted to dig out a small pond in the stream.who would I call to find out if I can town,county or dec?? 

47 minutes ago, rachunter said:

not to step on this post,but when I bought my property I was told you can't alter the water. there's a pond in the back and a stream up by my house I wanted to dig out a small pond in the stream.who would I call to find out if I can town,county or dec?? 

You likely need a permit from DEC.  I would start there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rachunter said:

DEC and the army corps. Of engineers. Start with your local DEC.

• Like 1

I have to agree with Jerry and Grow.  If I feed 12 and shoot 1, I call that a fair trade.  The deer don't have to come to a plot, or a specific spot on the property, and they don't have to do it during daylight hours.  My reason for planting plots is to feed deer year-round, and to see deer.

I grew up on a small dairy farm.  Is a 19 acre hay field a food plot?  Is hunting on it baiting?  It's an interesting debate.  Somehow I don't think Gringo is interested in a debate.  Last year was the first time I shot a deer near a food plot.  I killed a buck, with a bow, on the edge of a food plot.  He was checking a scrape under an apple tree that is older than me.  I don't know if the food plot played a role, and I don't care.  I do care that several does raised fawns on a 12 acre property that I have access to.  To each his/her own.  If you don't agree with baiting or food plots or doe-in heat scents ... just do the noble thing and don't use them.