Liming

any time won't have an effect this growing season but next it will ...makes the berries sweeter and if I recall grassess and clovers as well..remember...lime is a particle to particle amendment...in that it needs to bind with the soil and it takes up to 6 mos to FULLY work...  quick acting lime is  stretching it's claims just a bit...it really takes about 3-6 weeks  so your looking at a month to two months.

https://www.thespruce.com/fast-acting-lime-for-turf-improvement-2152835

• Like 1

Has anyone tried improving a green field used for hay by liming around a tree stand??? Wondering if it pays off at all... Was thinking of trying it with a few stands I have in a green field... 
If its been a hay field for a while you may be better off with a dose of nitrogen.. What I have been finding is farmers im years past have gotten the pH to produce more hay, They also spread alot of cow dung.. well as the cow herds went away, so did the source of nitrogen, and grasses devour nitrogen. To know for sure test it.. might save yourself time amd money.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Grizzly you didn't mention what this "green field" actually is... We have green hay fields that farmers plant some containing more alfalfa and clovers for the beef cattle ...Others are horse hay with more grasses and less legume...just enough re clovers to add needed nitrogen. Then there are the fallow hay grass hay fields used for goats and sheep...These are fields owned buy locals that would be mowed occasionally..

Then due to easy access they were leased as baling hay fields with nothing done to them other then cutting...I call them filler hay...This fed as a needed roughage to animals on pelleted feed..So a field like that would need both lime and nitrogen

Edited by growalot

When adding nitrogen remember that it dissipates into the air when not incorporated into the soil...why I rarely top dress with nitrogen..add it at planting time. This also why some farm fields are liquid manure injected and some just top sprayed they have to regulate the amount of nitrogen to regulations per acre ...We have big dairy farms here so there is absolutely no loss of manure ..in fact they are having a difficult time finding enough areas to spread and stay within DEC regulations.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/agriculture/nutrient-management/nitrogen/fertilizer-urea/

I learned a lot when the well was contaminated...the farms have to have "managers"  to figure out just what how waste is managed from the "slurry ponds"the DEC has people that inspect and approve different things...She was out here a couple of times...it also goes by slope of land and surrounding water.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1