Miracles from Heaven

wolc123

I'll chime in for a second ;

Very close friend of mine was involved in a near fatal car accident just a few years ago. When I saw him at the hospital I wasn't sure he'd make it. Severe brain injury, couldn't talk and has rehabbed thru that and remarkably  Still in fact partially paralyzed on his left side. This guy has killed a lot of beautiful bucks, turkey grand slam, shotgun slam on turkey. To have him progress from accident to condition now, his son in his truck at the time unscathed without a scratch, was God involved, maybe so. He was a non believer himself at the time and now very much a believer.  Maybe a little over the top at times now but that's acceptable as friend believes God helped him thru from accident to now. I went to confirmation as a kid, don't go to church and not a non believer but here's my point : He's a very strong believer and last year alone sent me video of him zipping a xbow bolt center chest of a nice tom turkey, took top head fathers off another bird with 20 gauge at a close range and bird actually rolled. Both ran off. I felt really bad seeing him essentially mortally wound these birds with no recovery. But also happy to see him participate in something he loves. He admitted his shame on both instances and said he learned from his mistakes.  He called his 2 kids to have them search and none recovered. Shooting off a rest too. I'm sure his handicap was solely to blame but being a believer God did not help him in any way retrieve those birds It just wasn't meant to be.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

One has to ask the question though ,how many less wars would there be if they would have just left that one little part out about spreading the word . I guess hindsight is 20/20.

There is enough room in Heaven for everyone, so it would be selfish of me not to spread the word.   To answer your question,  I believe that the answer would be a negative number, meaning that there would be more wars had no one spread the Word about Jesus Christ.  I am extremely thankful to live in a country that identifies as about 75 % Christian and I have no intention on letting up the pressure on that other 25 %.    I love them too much for that.  They just don't know no better and it is not their fault.   

2 hours ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

And i believe at one time there were to be no Religion or Politics discussed on this site?  If not it should be implemented in.

This guy is a wack job!

Politics does have a special section but I welcome any personal attacks you care to deliver on me about my religion.  Every bullet I take for Jesus moves me one notch higher in His Kingdom someday, so thank you very much.   I have asked that the moderators let them continue and they have kindly obliged.    Carry on my friend and happy hunting this fall.   

1 hour ago, 22Plinker said:

Wolc, Honestly curious about the snowmobile accident you mention above.  Are you the guy that went off the cliff at Whetstone Gulf State Forest on a sled?  I don't know the details of your accident but I'm glad you made a healthy recovery.  The reason I ask is becaus, in my mind at least, driving a sled off a 180+ foot cliff... landing in a stony bank along a river... and being there for 48 hours alone and in the cold with dozens of broken bones is about the worst accident i can imagine.

That was not me.  Mine involved a head-on collision with a pickup truck.   I did not break any bones, but did dislocate a hip and suffer a concussion.  The doc said at the time (28 years ago) that I would probably need a hip replacement within 5 years.  It has not bothered me at all since that time.       

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I'll chime in for a second ;

Very close friend of mine was involved in a near fatal car accident just a few years ago. When I saw him at the hospital I wasn't sure he'd make it. Severe brain injury, couldn't talk and has rehabbed thru that and remarkably  Still in fact partially paralyzed on his left side. This guy has killed a lot of beautiful bucks, turkey grand slam, shotgun slam on turkey. To have him progress from accident to condition now, his son in his truck at the time unscathed without a scratch, was God involved, maybe so. He was a non believer himself at the time and now very much a believer.  Maybe a little over the top at times now but that's acceptable as friend believes God helped him thru from accident to now. I went to confirmation as a kid, don't go to church and not a non believer but here's my point : He's a very strong believer and last year alone sent me video of him zipping a xbow bolt center chest of a nice tom turkey, took top head fathers off another bird with 20 gauge at a close range and bird actually rolled. Both ran off. I felt really bad seeing him essentially mortally wound these birds with no recovery. But also happy to see him participate in something he loves. He admitted his shame on both instances and said he learned from his mistakes.  He called his 2 kids to have them search and none recovered. Shooting off a rest too. I'm sure his handicap was solely to blame but being a believer God did not help him in any way retrieve those birds It just wasn't meant to be.

I am glad that your buddy is doing ok.    Have you asked him why he thinks God let him loose those birds ?   Turkey is a lot less appealing to me than venison, but that would still hurt for a while if it happened to me.   The key is the part where "all things work to the good for those who love Him".   The "good" is not always immediate.  Fire tempers steel and pain and suffering can make one stronger.   He will be a better hunter now.   We all learn by making mistakes.  

Believing in Jesus will not eliminate all bad things from happening, but it will give you more patience to wait for the good. Nothing bothers me more about hunting that the loss of game that I have shot at.  I am very thankful that it has been more than 10 years since Jesus Christ has let it happen to me with a deer.   A gray squirrel that I lost in a rock wall after dropping it off a limb with my .22, two seasons ago still bothers me.  It was right at dusk and I regretted not having my "bloodglow" CSI-type night-time tracking agent with me.  

Where was the "good" in the loss of that squirrel ?   That ugly experience contributed to my holding off on small-antlered, small-bodied bucks last fall with both my crossbow and rifle.    The much larger bodied crossbow buck showed up less that 5 minutes after I passed the little guy (Jesus delivered quick that time).   The slightly larger rifle buck showed up over a month after I passed the smaller one, but also allowed me to make the only "perfect shot" that I have ever pulled off on a deer.  He took his sweet time on that one (almost to the end of the northern zone season) but really used it to prove to me that He calls ALL the shots.              

I hear,all the time, of all these people who follow Jesus, and that's great if that's what they really believe and live their lives according to those teachings. However, what I have see, most of those people wouldn't vote for him for President if he was here today...He'd be a liberal !! So how much do they truly believe ?

2 hours ago, greybeard said:

I hear,all the time, of all these people who follow Jesus, and that's great if that's what they really believe and live their lives according to those teachings. However, what I have see, most of those people wouldn't vote for him for President if he was here today...He'd be a liberal !! So how much do they truly believe ?

I don't think He would be a liberal, because that would make Him "pro-choice" and we all know that He is "pro-life".   I think He would take about 75 % of the popular vote, based on the percentage of American's who identify themselves as Christians today, and most of the electoral votes except maybe NY and CA.  The last election showed that there is still a lot of work to do in those states.   Things are not so bad upstate in NY, but downstate where you are, I definitely understand what you are hearing.  

Well that's one take and maybe so, but I think He'd be TRULY Pro life and have compassion, which is unlike many  who profess to be. Many Christians call themselves pro-life when in fact they are pro-birth. IF they were truly compassionate and pro life one way that they would show it is that  they would all welcome the refugees who are being slaughtered. (after appropriate vetting).

He would also be for universal health care and never consider cutting medicaid from the  poor and , elderly .

He would also be pro marriage and not support divorce.

I agree, I think that he'd follow some conservative beliefs, but in my mind, he'd be more liberal.

As far as being from downstate... I have traveled quite a bit, including upstate, as well as staying well informed through reading and watching ALL sides of political issues( I watch, and read conservative news as well as liberal news). I listen to many different views and draw MY conclusions. In these times everyone seem to want to preach their beliefs in every social setting so I never have to ask how they think.

I have read quite a bit of the teachings of Jesus, as well as a number of the teachings of Buddha. Both of whom I consider great teachers of love and compassion. So,   I have a lot of thoughts on this issue, but they are MY thoughts and since this is a hunting site, and not a religion site I won't take this further. I just don't think that this is the proper forum for religion and MOST of my deeper thoughts are very personal., and I never discuss those.

So, in conclusion, I do respect true Christian beliefs and envy those people who truly believe without question because for those TRUE believers it is comforting and their path to heaven. We are all entitled to our beliefs. I don't know you, but from your posts, I assume that you are a true believer, so I applaud you for that.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hunterman7956 said:

It all comes down to one word FAITH either you have it or you don't.

I can't argue that one, and it was certainly the main theme of the movie.  One of the main characters (the little girl's father) must have told his wife "You got to have faith" about half a dozen times or more.   I don't think anyone is born with Faith, but it is available to all.  If you lack it, you can still act like you have it and someday, when you least expect it, you will be pleasantly surprised when the Holy Spirit gives it to you.   

The first thing I did to "act like I had it" was to try and get my family to Church on most Sundays.  Next, I started some regular Bible reading (I like the NIV best).   Over the last five years, at least two deer made it into our freezer as a direct result of that Bible reading, along with (3) more probables.  The first "confirmed" kill happened when I "accidently" dropped my Bible from my treestand and went down to get it with just a few minutes of remaining daylight.   Immediately a flock of turkeys decended on my position in the bush-patch below my stand (I was wearing blaze orange cammo so they would not have got close had I still been up the tree).   A wise old buck was with them, which I was able to kill from point blank range with my slug-gun before he knew what hit him. 

The second "Bible deer" was my ML doe last fall (see last season's ML harvest thread if you want to see that story).  The three probables also happened on days when I took my Bible with me and read it up in the stand.  You can even see what was the last verse that I read on last year's crossbow harvest thread.   I call them "probables" because they may have happened without the Bible, while the two "confirmed" would have been impossible for me to kill as I did without it. 

Another, and maybe the most important thing you can do to "act like you have Faith", is to do things for others, expecting nothing in return.   There is lots of truth in the saying "it is better to give than to receive"  Prayer is another big one, and the more your faith grows, the more of those will be answered.  It gets a lot easier to recognize the little miracles around us everyday as that Faith grows.  That movie did an excellent job of portraying that in the closing scenes.    

Edited by wolc123

On 8/6/2017 at 0:54 PM, Four Season Whitetails said:

Cool. That means it's ok when we call it out if a wack job brings religion into about every thread on the site!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The moral of the story for most is that we don't have a problem with anyones faith. We dislike it constantly being shoved in our face.  

• Like 1

On 8/7/2017 at 8:09 AM, Jeremy K said:

Here's one I can't get an answer from the people that come to my house handing out pamphlets . Why does the Lord create gay people and then forbid them to see each other . 

Human's f'd up a lot of Jesus' teachings. As a catholic I blame my group the most. I firmly believe the nonsense rules created thousands of years ago in many religions was man's way of trying to further an agenda, start a war, become wealthy. It was never the intent of the lord. And that's why religion has fallen to where it is today. I see Pope Francis doing good things. I hope he continues down that path.

Edited by Belo

i accepted the idea of having faith in God later in life by choice and not as much up bringing. i'm sure like others may have here, i always find myself humbly asking for help or sometimes for things to be fixed when i or those close to me are in a time of need. more often than not i believe the little things in life, like harvesting a deer successfully, are on me.  at the most I'd only ask to be empowered to have my crap together to get it done.  i don't expect those things to simply be done for me, with lack of reasonable diligence on my part.  if i didn't i think it'd rub people the wrong way.  like Grampy i believe stated, religion of exists differently within everyone.  i've learned if you're over the top and too preachy you're words are only meant for those that are the most devoted and leaving out everyone else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, growalot said:

Belo, when you take time out of your life to belittle others for ABSOLUTELY no reason..... all you do is belittle your self...

no, i take time to call you out on your illegal dumping and double standards. And do so in a coherent, and grammatically correct fashion. 

:rolleyes: I know with new members coming on line you would love to continue your BS and painting me in a bad light..seriously you spend your time following me around being nasty...I'm use to it Belo. Note Yes I will answer your attacks, but I do not follow you around trying to find miss spelled words or uncaught corrections ...saying nasty ,spiteful little things. Oh and most have me on block..I really wish you did. If fact I rarely pop in on your post. 

What I do, do is spend my time  trying to help others,finding proper links that are informative and start conversations others can choose to make their points of views on.. Giving picture of different projects  to give others ideas   and such...So you go ahead and continue your foolishness Belo...it really is of no consequence to me.

7 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

i accepted the idea of having faith in God later in life by choice and not as much up bringing. i'm sure like others may have here, i always find myself humbly asking for help or sometimes for things to be fixed when i or those close to me are in a time of need. more often than not i believe the little things in life, like harvesting a deer successfully, are on me.  at the most I'd only ask to be empowered to have my crap together to get it done.  i don't expect those things to simply be done for me, with lack of reasonable diligence on my part.  if i didn't i think it'd rub people the wrong way.  like Grampy i believe stated, religion of exists differently within everyone.  i've learned if you're over the top and too preachy you're words are only meant for those that are the most devoted and leaving out everyone else.

It's good to see all the posts on this thread, which is clearly all about religion.  This is very relative on a hunting websitse, because  I would have liked to know at 25 what I found out at 50, concerning the connection between Jesus Christ, and the fate of every living creature.   If I knew then, what I know now, the (6) deer that I wounded and lost more than 10 years ago would have ended up in my freezer.   If I can help someone else avoid making those same mistakes, then that is great.    

13 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

If I knew then, what I know now, the (6) deer that I wounded and lost more than 10 years ago would have ended up in my freezer.   If I can help someone else avoid making those same mistakes, then that is great.    

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and everyone has the right to voice their opinions but stuff like this part here is what scares me.

• Like 1