Miracles from Heaven

wolc123

8 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Hopefully, He will bless us with a few fish this afternoon.      

He came thru good on the fishes this afternoon.  (10) 14 - 18 " smallmouths, out on the upper Niagara river, between the 2:00 and 6:00 pm thunderstorms, plus a few shorter ones that we released.  I just finished vacuum sealing (5) quart packages of fillets.  Accu-weather was spot-on with their predictions, which changed our plans (we were going to hit lake Ontario for salmon).  Those thunderstorms on the river made for a nice uncrowded, free, public boat launch.  They also eliminated a lot of the big cruisers which tend to run up and down the river all day long on the summer weekends, creating wakes that make it very uncomfortable out there in a small craft.  Smooth waters and hungry, hard-fighting smallmouth, it don't get much better than that.  Thank you Jesus.      

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:10 PM, wolc123 said:

He came thru good on the fishes this afternoon.  

Does that imply there are times he doesn't come through?

As a non-religious agnostic...I'm curious...Does the lord spread his love to animals as well?  Since you don't have to utter your prayers out loud, does bears not say prayers and their own language?  I wonder does the bear utter to himself "The lord came through today and blessed me with this dumb human."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elmo said:

Does that imply there are times he doesn't come through?

As a non-religious agnostic...I'm curious...Does the lord spread his love to animals as well?  Since you don't have to utter your prayers out loud, does bears not say prayers and their own language?  I wonder does the bear utter to himself "The lord came through today and blessed me with this dumb human."

The answers you are looking for may be found in the Bible.   No book is easier to find and it has led the national best sellers list for almost 2000 years.    It does say in there, that God created the fish of the sea, the foul of the air, and the animals of the earth, for man to eat. It also specifies what types should be eaten.  Whitetail deer and smallmouth bass fit the descriptions of the types that are proper for man to eat, but I am not so sure on the bears.  Those "rules" on what types can be eaten have lost all or at least most of their significance since the death and resurection of Jesus Christ.   He paid the full price of all of man's sin up there on that cross.

I would be very interested in your "non-religious, agnostic" take on the film that is the subject of this thread.  It would be worth a couple hours of your time to check it out.   Your clicking and active participation on this thread shows that you are at least open to a religious discussion, which is a very good thing.   The film does a very good job, near the end, of showing how "miracles" are all around us in everyday life.   Nothing really happens by chance.  

For example, those thunderstorms that bracketed the time that we were on the river Saturday served to "calm the waters" by eliminating most of the big boats that usually stir it up into a raging froth on weekend afternoons. The Bible tells us that "calming the waters" is something that Jesus Christ is an old pro at.      

3 hours ago, wolc123 said:

For example, those thunderstorms that bracketed the time that we were on the river Saturday served to "calm the waters" by eliminating most of the big boats that usually stir it up into a raging froth on weekend afternoons. The Bible tells us that "calming the waters" is something that Jesus Christ is an old pro at.      

I guess Jesus served you well with those thunderstorms but he was unkind to those on the big boats.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wolc123 said:

The answers you are looking for may be found in the Bible.   No book is easier to find and it has led the national best sellers list for almost 2000 years.    It does say in there, that God created the fish of the sea, the foul of the air, and the animals of the earth, for man to eat. It also specifies what types should be eaten.  Whitetail deer and smallmouth bass fit the descriptions of the types that are proper for man to eat, but I am not so sure on the bears.  Those "rules" on what types can be eaten have lost all or at least most of their significance since the death and resurection of Jesus Christ.   He paid the full price of all of man's sin up there on that cross.

I would be very interested in your "non-religious, agnostic" take on the film that is the subject of this thread.  It would be worth a couple hours of your time to check it out.   Your clicking and active participation on this thread shows that you are at least open to a religious discussion, which is a very good thing.   The film does a very good job, near the end, of showing how "miracles" are all around us in everyday life.   Nothing really happens by chance.  

Ill admit that you study religion more than i do . I have a serious question about the bible . Why was it rewritten ? What is the reason for the new as opposed to the old?

24 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Ill admit that you study religion more than i do . I have a serious question about the bible . Why was it rewritten ? What is the reason for the new as opposed to the old?

I think you are referring to new vs. old testament.  The old testament are all books written before the birth of Jesus and primarily tell the history of creation and the Jewish people (with many prophecies about the coming of Jesus in the future).  The new testament is comprised of all books written after the birth of Jesus and the first 4 books are gospels that recount his life and teachings.  There are various translations over the years where scholars did their best to translate original writings into contemporary language easily understood.  As I recall, the old testament books were written in Hebrew and Aramaic while the new testament books were originally written in Greek.

• Like 3

The expand on the comments initiated by Jeremy K, as recently as Pope Francis who was elected in 2013, he has already made certain changes in the view points of the church that differ slight from earlier attitudes towards several issues.  What does that say about all those "poor souls" who came before Pope Francis?

Hypothetically, it would be kind of messed up if the church is states "X, Y, and Z is bad" and people suffer because of this and then 30 years later, a new Pope is elected has he's like "X, Y, and Z...nah, it's all good."

One of the first changes Pope Francis made was clarifying that children who pass away prior to being baptized would still receive the same heavenly treatment as those who have been baptized.  It took till 2013 for the church to make this change.  Think about all those years where parents mourned thinking their children are stuck in limbo forever because he/she died shortly after birth.

In fairness Elmo, church doctrine or dogma does not always adhere to biblical teachings.  That's true for the Catholic church, among many many many others.  In fact, based on my reading of the Bible, I disagree with some limited teachings of the church I attend, albeit not significant ones.  If you want to know the biblical stance on an issue, go to the source.  If you want to know the catholic church's view on issues, I guess you can rely on that church's doctrine as stated by the pope.  We all have a direct line if we choose to use it.  I am not here to argue religious doctrine/dogma, right or wrong, but I prefer to avoid suggesting that Christian beliefs and teachings are synonymous with Catholic pronouncements on various subjects.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2017 at 8:57 AM, grampy said:

On 8/12/2017 at 9:09 AM, greg54 said:

Someone here needs professioal help, brainwashed for sure.

that's a little salty. While wolc maybe a little out there with his beliefs, there's no need to attack him over it.

On 8/12/2017 at 9:37 AM, Doewhacker said:

Zero deer wounded or lost and don't believe in god. Now what? Must be.......Satan? 

Im sorry you suffered a brain injury, clearly that affects your thinking. Perhaps from the surgery or medicine that cured you. 

Last year you took a quartering to shot with a crossbow and the infamous butt hole bullseye with the gun. That's not a good idea on either account. 

you've never wounded or lost a deer? Man just when i thought stubby had the market cornered we have another all-pro hunter. 

On 8/12/2017 at 10:36 AM, grampy said:

For me, over the last 15+ years, I've had no deer not recovered. But I've learned my lessons well from a couple deer not recovered early on in my hunting career. And from others mistakes, by blood tracking for Deer Search. I only take high percentage shots, and let a "lot" of deer walk, if I'm not "almost" 100 percent sure of  making the shot count. My faith, does not come into play, when lining up a shot. Only my past experiences. And still, there is no guarantee, it will never happen to me again. But by limiting myself to only "high percentage" shots, within my own capabilities,  I put the burden on myself, not my faith. That is only fair to the animals I respectfully hunt. And when the hunt is over, and I'm kneeling over my deer. It is then, that I give my thanks to the animal and to Him.

This is my approach to how the lord has helped me. I don't believe he guides my arrows. I don't believe he just "does it" for me. I believe he has helped instill virtues like patience, dedication and intelligence which drives me to be better at what i do. He is not the tool, but the road map to success. Follow the golden rule and generally things will work out ok.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Elmo said:

The expand on the comments initiated by Jeremy K, as recently as Pope Francis who was elected in 2013, he has already made certain changes in the view points of the church that differ slight from earlier attitudes towards several issues.  What does that say about all those "poor souls" who came before Pope Francis?

Hypothetically, it would be kind of messed up if the church is states "X, Y, and Z is bad" and people suffer because of this and then 30 years later, a new Pope is elected has he's like "X, Y, and Z...nah, it's all good."

One of the first changes Pope Francis made was clarifying that children who pass away prior to being baptized would still receive the same heavenly treatment as those who have been baptized.  It took till 2013 for the church to make this change.  Think about all those years where parents mourned thinking their children are stuck in limbo forever because he/she died shortly after birth.

it's like baseball man. people don't like change. Men tinkered with religion. thousands of years ago it was also a political tool. I think we're having our "come to jesus" moment to reflect that. 

5 minutes ago, Belo said:

This is my approach to how the lord has helped me. I don't believe he guides my arrows. I don't believe he just "does it" for me. I believe he has helped instill virtues like patience, dedication and intelligence which drives me to be better at what i do. He is not the tool, but the road map to success. Follow the golden rule and generally things will work out ok.

Big thumbs up.

6 hours ago, moog5050 said:

In fairness Elmo, church doctrine or dogma does not always adhere to biblical teachings.  That's true for the Catholic church, among many many many others.  In fact, based on my reading of the Bible, I disagree with some limited teachings of the church I attend, albeit not significant ones.  If you want to know the biblical stance on an issue, go to the source.  If you want to know the catholic church's view on issues, I guess you can rely on that church's doctrine as stated by the pope.  We all have a direct line if we choose to use it.  I am not here to argue religious doctrine/dogma, right or wrong, but I prefer to avoid suggesting that Christian beliefs and teachings are synonymous with Catholic pronouncements on various subjects.

The "church" thing reminds me of another little "miracle" that we got to see last weekend.  In addition to clearing the parking spaces at the public boat launch, and calming the river with a couple of well-timed showers on Saturday afternoon, He answered a prayer from my youngest daughter in church on Sunday morning.   We had skipped church the week prior due to a schedule conflict.  We did watch the movie together that evening (see thread title), and I think the girls got more out of it than they do from a typical church service.  

I had noticed her and her sister in a conversation before the start of this Sunday's service.   There were no other young kids there then, and they had talked about going up front for the "children's sermon" that was shown in the printed schedule.  At 13 and 14 years old, they thought they were a little too old for that, but they thought that the guest pastor had probably put a lot of effort into writing his "kids" sermon, and that he would be sad if no "real kids" showed up.  

About 2 minutes before it was scheduled to start, I noticed her hands folded in prayer next to me in the pew.  She whispered to me that she had prayed for some kids to show up, so that she would not have to go stand up front with her sister.  Less than a minute later, a father and mother with three young kids walked in, just as the guest pastor was walking to the center to start his "children's sermon".  My daughter looked at me then and smiled, for now they were off the hook.            

7 hours ago, Belo said:

you've never wounded or lost a deer? Man just when i thought stubby had the market cornered we have another all-pro hunter.

He said last ten years, zero lost or wounded. I gave a couple hair cuts over the back when I was a kid starting out 25 years ago. Not an all pro and don't claim to be either, I shoot good, make good shot choices and can track. Sue me. 

I also find it disturbing that you are claiming to be a religious man after some of the comments you made in the political section recently.  

1 hour ago, Doewhacker said:

" We had skipped church the week prior due to a schedule conflict." 

But you had plenty of time to post on here, tisk, tisk. JC is watching, with Santa. 

We try not to skip too often but like I said, they got more out of watching "Miracles from Heaven" than they usually do from a church service.    I am glad to see that you are still following this thread.   

12 hours ago, Doewhacker said:

He said last ten years, zero lost or wounded. I gave a couple hair cuts over the back when I was a kid starting out 25 years ago. Not an all pro and don't claim to be either, I shoot good, make good shot choices and can track. Sue me. 

I also find it disturbing that you are claiming to be a religious man after some of the comments you made in the political section recently.  

I can't be both religious and still not find issue with dudes who want to be woman and vice versa? Maybe I don't subscribe to the man made laws. Maybe I subscribe to what Jesus said. Love thy neighbor. 

Edited by Belo

18 minutes ago, Belo said:

I can't be both religious and still not find issue with dudes who want to be woman and vice versa? Maybe I don't subscribe to the man made laws. Maybe I subscribe to what Jesus said. Love thy neighbor. 

That's not Gods will, if he is the great creator I would think that altering his will goes against everything about the religion.

That wasn't the point though, I was referring to some of the nasty comments you made in that thread.

34 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

That's not Gods will, if he is the great creator I would think that altering his will goes against everything about the religion.

That wasn't the point though, I was referring to some of the nasty comments you made in that thread.

34 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

I guess i don't remember what I said that was nasty. I thought it was a pretty good back and forth discussion. I don't know how to search a thread for content i posted and if I did say some nasty stuff than i'll eat crow, I just don't remember it. There's really only 1 person on this site who gets under my skin and theres only one other person who I troll. 

was it me encouraging steve to try assplay with his wife? I think ole JC can be down with that.