Anybody else's bucks disappear

sethf11

I was on some bucks and had some photos then the last card pull I got skunked. I got some does and some activity so I k ow if the does are there the bucks will be too but they became ghosts. Totally elusive. Didn't help that my best camera set was pointed too far up in the air and got 0 photos (new stealth cam I'm getting used to). But I managed to put a micro plot in is PlotSpike Clover. Hopefully I timed it right and it turns out good. I'm gonna get in a bag of Slam Dunk in a about 2 weeks as well. Hopefully the bucks show back up. The corn is up around head height it a little taller. Good tracks on the edge of the cornfield. Maybe they have taken some cover in there.

Here is the micro plot I got in today.

c2e3a408d788d13f7e04f5bc99b9d1bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I love not seeing bucks during the summer...Never in any years that I have had high summer buck sightings have I had good hunting...HERE the bachelor groups edge the doe out off the property...some will be around but not normal #'s Then come fall the (bucks) disperse to other properties looking for the doe They go to where the doe have spent the summer raising their fawn...an area they will hang in until late season. This year I have many fawn and a lot of doe a few yearling buck...So the bucks will disperse and hopefully we will have some of the beauties others have seen with in this 3 mile area decide to come in and check out the girls and pushing the yearlings out to other properties ...cover, water, and food should keep them interested in waiting out the first to come in season.

• Like 1

I love not seeing bucks during the summer...Never in any years that I have had high summer buck sightings have I had good hunting...HERE the bachelor groups edge the doe out off the property...some will be around but not normal #'s Then come fall the (bucks) disperse to other properties looking for the doe They go to where the doe have spent the summer raising their fawn...an area they will hang in until late season. This year I have many fawn and a lot of doe a few yearling buck...So the bucks will disperse and hopefully we will have some of the beauties others have seen with in this 3 mile area decide to come in and check out the girls and pushing the yearlings out to other properties ...cover, water, and food should keep them interested in waiting out the first to come in season.

Yeah. I hear ya. I'm not worried yet. Looking back to last season I didn't have much buck activity at all until late August to mid September. That's when I started getting them on camera. I'm in a good agricultural area so there is food everywhere. I know I'm on a good fall pattern. Just amazed at the run ways in seeing that are mud runways and not much deer sign on them right now. Look at the runway to the right side of this photo and I only got about 4-5 deer on that trail in the past 2 weeks.

33beab41597fc7e5ac2d9b6016df26a3.jpg

That's a pretty deep path any other animals using it...I get a bit surprised at how warn a wood chuck trail can get....How I know they are chuck paths is they lead to where they  burrow under the field fencing...BTW...is that a dead hawk or owl in that pic?

If you've seen good ones on cam you'll have them around eventually. Some just have a home property they stay on...might be a better food source right at this time that has them traveling different. Apples are getting an interest and black berry are in full swing right now...I know my red oaks are dropping tiny acorns and something is eating them...Farmers are cutting wheat ,opening up a lot of fast growing tender red clover...Hay fields are recovering from being cut and bailed...All new tender growth...Best of luck this season.

• Like 1

I did get the bucks on camera real early in June so I think it's just they are on the summer pattern and will return to home range here soon. I'm not too concerned. I did get photos of 2 bucks earlier in June that I was chasing in this area last year so I k ow they are alive and well. I'm sure they will be around.

That's an owl in that pic in the lower corner. It's also a deer runway. It crosses a creek about 20 feet behind the camera and is torn up with deer tracks. I have gotten 1 fox on that trail as well.

Here is what it looks like about 20 feet behind the camera.

959dd542f72aa1357901e86acf39746e.jpg

• Like 1

This is one of those years where I had a bachelor group living on our place...one reason why I don't plant soybeans often any more...I don't think I got a buck that year..if I did it was a 6pt...I also had a difficult time getting a doe...But man the pics were Awesome...lol:wink:

WGI_0033.JPG

WGI_0034.JPG

• Like 3

Thanks fellas for the input. Makes me feel better. I gotta just calm down and relax. I know it will come. I did have quite a bunch of does and fawns on one camera. All at night though. But I just gotta relax and let it happen. I know the area is good and I have some real good sign in the area and runways. I did put out some Smokeys lure for my mock scrape and it's not getting activity at all yet.

last yr i didnt have any buck pics to speak of till very end of october then i got some big boys.. this year hundreds of does and fawn pics a few small bucks, and only got one good buck back in june, but come the rut the boys will def be around. i figure on my 90 acres i got about 15 does calling it home and at least 6 to 7 fawns... im sure they travel more then 90 acres but this appears to be there core

• Like 1

I haven't pulled a card yet...........hence, I haven't spotted a buck to have disappear. 

Cameras have been out 4 weeks now and I certainly look forward to seeing WTH is in the mix this year.  I think I'm due to kill a monster buck............ :)

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

About time you stopped shooting all those dinks for meat.:jester:

I know, I know..........

Speaking of meat, my daughter is out of the dorms at UB and soon to be in an apartment with 3 other girls.  They'll be preparing their own meals.  We talked about the mega benefits of 30+ pounds of ground venison when dinner is on THEIR dime.  She agreed, the girls are going to be eating venison this fall!!  It may take some trickery to convince a couple of them but I have some plans to take care of that small detail  :)

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Hoping to shoot a dink identical to his 2015 dink if I recall correctly.  

LOL, yea that'd be great.  I wish I'd have had a tag in my pocket the morning I shot the doe last year. She was pushed by me by a buck that looked considerably better than my '15 buck.  I'm pretty that stud took a bullet during gun season though. 

3 out of 4 dandy bucks I had on film last year never saw Xmas day..............and they ain't on MY wall. :)

With all the fruit out bucks will zoom in on what is at the top of there list. I have one apple tree already half dropped and the bucks are under it 4 times a day right now. In another 2 weeks it will be done and they will be hitting another somewhere else.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

I know, I know..........

Speaking of meat, my daughter is out of the dorms at UB and soon to be in an apartment with 3 other girls.  They'll be preparing their own meals.  We talked about the mega benefits of 30+ pounds of ground venison when dinner is on THEIR dime.  She agreed, the girls are going to be eating venison this fall!!  It may take some trickery to convince a couple of them but I have some plans to take care of that small detail  :)

That's what tacos are for ,the ultimate in trickery.

• Like 1

The bucks on my property do the opposite. They reappear. My place hold does and fawns all summer and rarely any bucks until mid to late September. I know they aren't far though, my buddy has been getting pics of a bachelor group all summer across the road from me. According to him we have some nice bucks to look forward to seeing once hunting season gets here.

• Like 1