Knife making (testing imgur hosting)

I'm trying to replace photobucket and testing out some images here.

Going on a hunt in Oct. and want a new knife to take along so doing a scandi grind bushcraft style knife, 01 tool steel. I have lots of wood for scales (handle); maybe some couple hundred year old American walnut, or maybe some Turkish walnut left over from a stock, not sure. Spent an hour on the smaller of two this morning annealing and giving it some shape from some internet pattern.

Need to build a small furnace for heat treating next

QwJWp7m.jpg?2

9UpedcG.jpg?1

Vj6JpnW.jpg?2

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Shaped up and ready for heat treating and tempering. Many don't pre grind any bevel, but I wanted the practice as the techniques are the same but on a soft blank. The edge isn't complete, about .020 left to grind and that should prevent warping on the cutting edge.

Heating to 1375 in my home built forge for 10 minutes and then quench in warm vegetable oil, and then heat to 400 for an hour two times waiting for slow cool down in between. I've done small woodworking bits, we'll see how this goes.

rMDoDqo.jpg?1

• Like 7

Wish I wasn't so damn busy at work or it would already be done. LOL

Managed to get Customs paperwork for rifle this week so hunt planning is almost done. Just need more shooting time and to tinker with this project a bit more.

Using leftovers from rifle stock project for the handle, Turkish Walnut (shown here with a little oil).

a0nid9U.jpg?1

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, helmut in the bush said:

That's cool, what steel did you did you use?

O1- That is a Letter O. it is tool steel. Good Carbon content for knives. can be a little touchy to quench so Dinsdale was spot on leaving the narrow blade section a bit thicker. Thinner sections are prone to warping if over quenched. Quenching in pre-heated oil is  recommended.Holds a great edge. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

looks great!! Have you played around with stabilizing any of the wood for the scales?  I tried this on another type of project (pens) and it worked surprisingly well. I will be using this method on any wood I use for the knives. 

I came home from last trip to South Africa with some "sneezewood" and did similar to fill some fairly loose material but with epoxy (West Systems) for some pens. Came out nice and sent them back as gifts to some friends there.

This Turkish takes oil quite well so that's what it will get.

Wood is easy part; I have several thousand board feet  to choose from and when I get some unique figure I have stock piled that for many years for personal projects.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/17/2017 at 1:43 PM, Culvercreek hunt club said:

O1- That is a Letter O. it is tool steel. Good Carbon content for knives. can be a little touchy to quench so Dinsdale was spot on leaving the narrow blade section a bit thicker. Thinner sections are prone to warping if over quenched. Quenching in pre-heated oil is  recommended.Holds a great edge. 

Heat treating came out easier and better than expected. Pre warmed vegetable oil to 125* for quench and then tempering at 400* for an hour.

Handle still might get whittled on a bit.....

d6iCqA9.jpg?1 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

It looks great Dan!

How about a sheath?  I have a sneaking suspicion it won't be Kydex........... :)

Tandy Leather box came yesterday. LOL

Nothing fancy, as I don't really like a knife on my belt, just a simple sheath for in a pack.

12 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Awesome stuff right there   Great work ! 

I'm not very handy and can barely make a bowl of cereal let alone something so neat as that !

Thanks;

This was loads of fun and I decided to do almost everything by hand even with a shop full of equipment.

I started from scratch as part of the project; build a knife and take it on a specific hunt as a keepsake......but kits are easy and cheap.

Already looking to make another when I'm not so busy!