Thoughts on Leupold Scopes

For many years, I've been a fan of Bushnell optics...gun scopes, binoculars, range-finders. I always viewed them as great value and dependable products.

The last few years (5?), I've been noticing their quality slipping. The last pair of binoculars I bought are pretty much useless other than 8X (variable), another scope on my turkey gun gets cockeyed when you turn it all the way to 3X (also when you turn it all the way to 9X), the last straw was a scope I bought for the slug gun a couple years ago. I took the slug gun to the range yesterday for a couple "peace of mind" shots before the fall, and noticed I was hitting a little low. I cranked the elevation a few clicks to the "UP" position, and started shooting 6" TO THE RIGHT!!. After I went a few more clicks "UP",  I started getting more towards the center but still low. More clicks "UP", and it was finally centered, but still low. WTHHHH????

Anyway, since sabots are so expensive, I gave up after wasting 2 boxes. I'm doubting it was the shells, since I always use the same brand. It was early morning so I hadn't had a beer yet that day, and I definitely had the scope seated correctly on the rings, vertical adjustment on the top and horizontal to the right. Wind was only about 7-10 MPH, and only shooting at 75 yards, so that's not it.

I decided that since I'm still working & pretty much in the peak of my earning career, from now on I'll eventually replace good glass on all of my rifles & shotguns, and with some luck, quality scopes should last for most of the rest of my hunting days. I am pretty tough on gear, but a scope should last more than a couple years, IMO. I've always heard great things about Leupold scopes, so I'm going to give them some of my hard-earned this time around, and see if you really get what you pay for. My father always bought Unertl scopes for his rifles, but it looks like they went out of business in 2008.

Anyone else have any yays or nays regarding Leupold scopes?

Edited by Uncle Nicky

I've always liked Leupold optics, and I own several. You definitely do "get what you pay for". A good rule of thumb is that you should spend at least as much on the glass as you do the rifle it's going on, otherwise you're not likely to get the full value of the gun to begin with. Buy once, cry once. Just my two cents on the subject.

• Like 4

I've used Leupold scopes for decades, on shotguns, in-line black powder guns, and rifles. Never once had a problem. My buddy uses Nikon, he seems to do great with them. I bought a rifle with a Zeiss on it. And it is amazing!

• Like 1

The only thing I didn't like about a VX1 was how stiff the power ring was.  Otherwise, I have not had any issue with leupolds.  I like my Zeiss, but then again, I have never required warranty work on optics so I can't speak to that experience with either Zeiss or Leupy or any other manufacturer.  Even the BL elite 3200 on my slug gun has held up well so far.

• Like 1

I have Leupolds on most of my guns and am extremely happy with them. Only had one issue in over 40 years of using them. I had a 3 x 9 that started to fog a little on a gun that was given to me, so maybe the previous owner dropped it or damaged it in some way that was not noticeable. I sent it back to Oregon and they replaced it with a new upgraded scope free of charge. Can't beat that for service!

• Like 3

Their may be a better scope but I am a loyal leupold customer. I probably own over 20 of them. I have had to send 2 leup olds back 1 was a 1970's VX-2 that was my grandpas and it no longer held a zero I sent it back and they told me they were going to send me a new one. The scope had sentimental value to me so I asked if their was any way they could fix it and I was willing to pay for the repairs. They said they would get back to me and a couple days later they called me back and said they did the best they could. A couple weeks later I opened the box and it had my grandpas old scope and a brand new one with a letter explaining how they tried to fix it and that it was working but they weren't sure if it would last. That was 10 years ago and I put it on a 22 that also belonged to my Gramps it's still works as good as new. I always liked their products but from that moment on I will only own their products. You can't beat that kind of customer service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Uncle Nicky said:

I like this, mind if I steal it? :D

That phrase has been around for as long as I can remember, Uncle Nicky. I don't own it, and you're certainly welcome to it. It applies to a lot of things in life when you think about it. Except maybe beer. ;-}

• Like 1

When it comes to scopes, they are all that graces my guns.

AS a matter of fact, I may just pull the trigger on a used 4x Leupold tonight.......it's in the classifieds of another site I frequent for $165.  Gloss, not matte.  WGAF about that??

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

AS a matter of fact, I may just pull the trigger on a used 4x Leupold tonight.......it's in the classifieds of another site I frequent for $165.  Gloss, not matte.  WGAF about that??

There's a 2.5x fixed matte for 175 on 24hr from "NTO" ..... done business with him, good seller.

Spent my fun and gun money for the year......and next. LOL

2 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Both of my fixed 4X Leupys are gloss, and so is my fixed 6X Leupy...

KISS me, you fool...!!!

• Like 2

Had a Leupold 2-7x Compact purchased in '85. Last year, it started acting like Uncle N's.  Sent it to the factory. Got a NIB 3-9 Ultralight VX2 in a couple of weeks.  No questions asked. Paid something less than $150 for the Compact and got a $300+ scope as its replacement ("repair") .

Decent prices, very good features & glass, top flight service, made in America.  What is not to like?

• Like 5

I have Leupolds on almost everything I own, from .22-250 to 45-70 ( including three 1.5 x 5 powers...which I love for most things)

Several years back I bought a used 1.5x5 online for my 45-70. Before mounting it I gave Leupold customer service a call to find out how much it would cost to have them check it out before mounting.

Nothing. I was instructed to send it to them, they would return it to factory new specs and return it postage paid within the week.

Cant beat that.

• Like 2

you have a 3 to 9 on your turkey gun?

anyhow, i love leupold. I have a vx-2 on my slug gun and vx-3 on my rifle. they're very nice optics. I can't say my nikon on my mz is inferior but you can tell the difference. I recommend the threaded scope caps if you get one. price is hard to swallow, but they really complete the setup.

• Like 1

Like the OP I am a long time user of Bushnell products and for the most part I have zero complaints especially with their binoculars and rangefinders which I really like a lot and are a best buy in my opinion. One of the first new scopes I ever bought was a Bushnell Scope Chief which mounted on two hardened studs instead of a conventional base and it worked great even though it turned out to be a flop marketing wise. Their "Elite" scope line has been getting very good reviews, from all accounts I have read the folks that have purchased them love them.

I own quite a few scope brands mounted on various rifles I have and am not afraid of trying different brands of scopes if I believe the quality is decent, and most times the performance has been good even on what some would consider low end. The thing is I match the scope to the way the firearm will be used and it's caliber. 

I classify my rifles basically in two categories, general, casual, and fun use and then there is my get serious use go to hunting guns. All my get serious big game rifles and get serious varmint rifles have Leupold scopes mounted on them because of absolute reliability. Mostly Vari X 1s and 2s as I have found the return going to the substantial higher end cost Leupolds is just not there for me. I have never had an issue when hunting game with the Vari 1s and 2s  that would have caused me to be unsuccessful because I was using them over the higher end models.

The rest of my firearms collection falls under the fun and recreation category and they are topped with a hodge podge of most of the other scope brands that have been available through the years and make no mistake about it , there are some other very good brands, they have served me well in the ways they have been used.  Most scope failures that I have seen are caused by one of two things, heavy recoil or being subjected to a good soaking. These casual use fun guns will for the most part never be out in wet foul weather and are mounted on rifles with low to moderate recoil. I just purchased a used like new Burris Timberline on ebay to mount on a repro Miroku Winchester 52 sporter 22 LR, no Leupold by any means but a solid decent scope that should hopefully do the job for which it is intended.

So I guess what this long winded post is trying to get across is if money was no object I would certainly have a Leupold scope on every single firearm that I own. Unfortunately with the glutton firearms habit I seem to have I am not in that position so for my get serious stuff I subscribe to Philoshop's "buy once and cry once" and mount a suitable Leupold and for the rest I buy the best possible scope I can afford at the time.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Belo said:

you have a 3 to 9 on your turkey gun?

Currently, yes, along with see-through mounts for rainy days.  I rarely move it past 3 unless I'm looking into a large field and don't have binoculars, and no, I don't look at people through it. I hate wearing glasses in the woods, they always fog up, and get knocked off my head. I never "got" the whole red-dot thing, it's much easier picking things up with the old-fashioned crosshairs setup (for me).