So are you ready or do you still have work to do ?

rob-c

Wife and I went up to the lease Sunday and cleared trails, hung the rest of the bow holders on the new ladder stands that we put up a few months ago and checked the rest of the ladder stands. Will be heading back this weekend to put up a ground blind and tighten a chain on a lose ladder stand. Then we will go up Labor Day weekend to check trails one last time. Hard to believe Its only a couple months till archery, man time flys ......

• Like 1

I'm going up this afternoon with a buddy who is going to build me an enclosed tower stand...He does the building, I help with the grunt work... We plan to lay it out today and hopefully get it built this month.

I also need to get a couple of acres plowed/disced for my fall oats/clover plot, which I would like to get in the ground by the 1st of September.

• Like 1

been working on it.  Oneida Lake is green and havent done much fishing so every weekend is getting stuff done for hunting.  Putting out cams, scouting some new (small 9 acres) ground, cutting brush and checking stands and straps etc.  On our lease property it is so brushy so started some cutting !  I enjoy the prep almost as much as the hunting!   its part of it to try and fool a deer! Only have a wheeled weedeator so this took me a while til my hands were a mess! The owner cuts a trails a few times with brushhog, but its real swampy. 

This weekend is the big work weekend for me and 2 buddies on our lease.  Get everything ready and all cams out and walk away from it til season! 

Stota cutting.jpg

I have 2 sets to get out and 1 more fall food plot of Antler King Slam Dunk to get in the ground.

Other than that just check some cams at the end of August and let it all roll. I'll get stands up in a few weeks before September. Then I let everything settle all of September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a pop up blind tower(short 51/2 ft tall) to cut and build...a stand or 2 to move, one to put together...a couple of plots to disc and parts of plots to seed...more tree cutting ...of course shooting ...going down now to start the strip plotting by laying down first run of solid turnips...then grains will go in...I also have a clover plot to plant that will get a rye over seeding in a week or two.

In between every thing else...Garden is starting it's first round of freezing veggies and peaches have to be  picked and processed...still doing berries

I need to hang 4 stands and then ill be ready. The neighbor planted corn for the first time in any spot he could between his apple orchard and grape vines, so im running a few cams there to see how the deer are effected by it. Never hunted near row crops before so im interested to see what happens. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Also Dan, I set your stand where we see pope and young bucks daily during the season.  Let me know when you are ready.   

Thanks Moog !!  I hope it's ok if I hunt there with a rifle, because I don't bowhunt anymore !

A guy couldn't ask for a better buddy than you !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Also Dan, I set your stand where we see pope and young bucks daily during the season.  Let me know when you are ready.   

Really you can't up it Booners for Dano? 

I havent even removed tags from my new camo I got at Xmas yet. I can get that 10/1 as I'm heading out back. 

5 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Really you can't up it Booners for Dano? 

I havent even removed tags from my new camo I got at Xmas yet. I can get that 10/1 as I'm heading out back. 

Selfish I know.  The booners all walk just on the other side of my property line sadly.  I wouldn't want Pygmy to be tempted. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Selfish I know.  The booners all walk just on the other side of my property line sadly.  I wouldn't want Pygmy to be tempted. 

I bet knowing he had a big fella like you to drag all his deer out would be all it would take for Dan to pile deer up like cord wood. ^_^

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Those high velocity bullets fly quite nicely across property lines...

At least that's what I've heard.....<<whistling>>.....

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

I bet knowing he had a big fella like you to drag all his deer out would be all it would take for Dan to pile deer up like cord wood. ^_^

Anything to help out my buddy that has promised to keep furry Volkswagens from gnawing on me.  

• Like 2

Always work to be done but I'm chipping away at it.

This Saturday will be a work day/party for me. My best friend/hunting buddy will be over helping me get the new field tilled up and seeded. Hopefully get another stand up and one other one moved and maybe clear some shooting lanes on others. Big focus will be on the food plot and drinking some beers lol. Wife has a friend of hers coming over also and she's trying to play match maker between her friend and my buddy haha. Guess we will see what happens there! . We will be bbqing and having a nice bonfire and lots of cold ones once the work is done that's all I know!

Outside of a few hot spots that I leave stands at all year round I still have a ton to do. I went out today cleared out a few trails with the saw hung another camera at a new path I found with a bunch of dog prints. Patterns have yet to change with the weather. When it gets colder and everything starts to die off it's a whole new ball game. Almost that time of year.

• Like 1