Need new tires - Falken Wildpeak AT3W

moog5050

Finishing off my duratracs.  They have performed fine.  Got about 35k from them and decent in winter.  Ok in wet.  But these Falkens seem to have great reviews.  Anybody try them. The duratracs got loud as they wore down.  These seem to be reviewed as very quiet and have the snowflake rating for winter.  Plus, at $893 for 4, they are several hundred less than duratracs.  Thoughts?

Never heard of them, that doesn't help but... I had a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3's put on after I got a flat up in Maine. So far I like them, I got them specifically for when we go to Maine as much of my driving is off road there. Little noise but nothing terrible and supposed to get good wear. We shall see. 

41 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Thanks doewhacker.  Kinda hoping someone had direct experience with the falkens.  Found a real solid deal on the bfg ko2s too but they were only ok when I ran them previously.   This is the newer version though. 

I looked at the ko2's as well but I didn't think they would survive highway driving and I don't tow anything so I passed. They do look sweet though. 

I'm assuming you looked on tirerack etc for ratings. 

9 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

I looked at the ko2's as well but I didn't think they would survive highway driving and I don't tow anything so I passed. They do look sweet though. 

I'm assuming you looked on tirerack etc for ratings. 

I actually had the old model.  Worked fine.  For $780 shipped, it's a steal.  They have the snowflake rating.  Look good.  Were much quieter than the duratracs. Hard to find good tires for less than $250 per at this size. Overstocked at 4wheelparts now but all new 2017s. If Price were no consideration I might buy something else but at this price and having experience with the old model, I will take em.  The sales guy took $20 off just because I asked.  Never hurts.  

Cost me $1300 for the duratracs installed.  This will be $860 all in.  

Edited by moog5050

Out of curiosity. Were your duratrac LT or not ? My last set was not Lt and only lasted about 45k in half ton. My previous last set was on a 3/4 ton and were LT, had 60k and plenty of meat to pass inspection. New truck I got LT but only have a few thousand so far. This is my 3rd pair. Also, my 3rd truck. Tires seem to be lasting longer than my trucks....

As far as the bfg's I hope they work for you. Had the ta/ko and regular ta. Both wore out under 30k

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

My sister had bfgs on her raptor and ram 1500. Neither one made it over 30k. But some people somehow get more out of them so you could get lucky moog.

Next time around take a look at the coopers like others have mentioned. The at3s have great traction and seem to last longer than everything else I've tried. I beat the snot out of these tires and haven't had an issue yet and this will be my 3rd set now.

3 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

My sister had bfgs on her raptor and ram 1500. Neither one made it over 30k. But some people somehow get more out of them so you could get lucky moog.

Next time around take a look at the coopers like others have mentioned. The at3s have great traction and seem to last longer than everything else I've tried. I beat the snot out of these tires and haven't had an issue yet and this will be my 3rd set now.

I didn't pull the trigger yet, but still am inclined to do so for the price.  I liked the KO2s well enough except for the wear but at 2/3 of the price of most of the tires, I can live with 2/3 of the wear I guess. I only got 3-4k more from the duratracs and they are quite a bit more expensive.  Not sure how tree guy gets so much mileage.  Perhaps because most of my driving is city driving. 

Lots of love for the coopers.  I would like a tire that looks a bit more aggressive for the sissy truck though as silly as that sounds.  Its a lot of rubber under that truck and I do want them to fit the image of the truck.  Maybe some all pink tires with aggressive tread.  lol

• Like 1

I didn't pull the trigger yet, but still am inclined to do so for the price.  I liked the KO2s well enough except for the wear but at 2/3 of the price of most of the tires, I can live with 2/3 of the wear I guess. I only got 3-4k more from the duratracs and they are quite a bit more expensive.  Not sure how tree guy gets so much mileage.  Perhaps because most of my driving is city driving. 
Lots of love for the coopers.  I would like a tire that looks a bit more aggressive for the sissy truck though as silly as that sounds.  Its a lot of rubber under that truck and I do want them to fit the image of the truck.  Maybe some all pink tires with aggressive tread.  lol

Check out coopers website. They have a bunch of more aggressive ones than the AT3s. I was so close to going with their STT Pros. They look cool and have good reviews. Wife talked me out of them since the truck spends most of its time on pavement these days. But with that beast of a truck you got, they would look sweet!

Not LTs on the duratracs which you would think means they would last longer.   I won't even get 35k from this set.  Real loud now too. My original TA KO2s lasted about 32k.  At $780, that is ok by me. 
That's where I saw the difference. If you change your mind and do duratrac, get the LT. More ply and harder rubber...longer life. Most of my daily driving is city like. I also stack 40k a year on. Also, rotated the tires every oil change. Makes a world of difference.

26 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

That's where I saw the difference. If you change your mind and do duratrac, get the LT. More ply and harder rubber...longer life. Most of my daily driving is city like. I also stack 40k a year on. Also, rotated the tires every oil change. Makes a world of difference.

Maybe I am misunderstanding but the LT on most tires are actually the lesser 6ply vs. 10ply. 

Moog, I'm currently running the Falkens on my 2013 tundra.  I'm running the P's not LT's.   I've got 15k on them right now, I believe they are a 55k tire.  I should make it there, before they are shot.  I ran them in the winter and I was pretty happy, they are a softer compound and grip well. Hang out till september for labor day sale through discount tire direct.  Also I got a discount by joining tread lightly, Falken was a sponsor, I got $100 off after joining.  All said and done I was in less than $600 installed.  Let me know if you have any questions.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, kcclax22 said:

Moog, I'm currently running the Falkens on my 2013 tundra.  I'm running the P's not LT's.   I've got 15k on them right now, I believe they are a 55k tire.  I should make it there, before they are shot.  I ran them in the winter and I was pretty happy, they are a softer compound and grip well. Hang out till september for labor day sale through discount tire direct.  Also I got a discount by joining tread lightly, Falken was a sponsor, I got $100 off after joining.  All said and done I was in less than $600 installed.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks . Very helpful

13 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Lt = light truck = more ply. P or ps is passenger= less ply

Tree guy the two I was comparing are LT which are 6 ply and E rated which are 10ply.  They don't make a passenger in my size.