Need new tires - Falken Wildpeak AT3W

moog5050

What size are you looking at?  I believe mine are 265/70r18.  In SL, standard load, 4 ply.  Pretty sure Lt's will have a little more tread depth also. I wish they had more options, I would prefer a 6 ply tire, just something in the middle, not just a choice between a 4 or 10 ply.  Other than that I'm pretty happy especially considering the price.  

10 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

And Lt is light truck. E is load range. E is an Lt. LT has a few different load ranges (weight capacity) available but they are all LT. When u go to a passenger tire it significantly lowers load range.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I understand.  Thanks. My current duratracs are 10ply.  Only option at 315/70r17.  And they do call them LTs although most tires brands have LT which is 6ply c rated and then e rated 10ply.  Only one option with duratracs in this size are 10ply and they actually are d rated. They still didn't get me great mileage.  

16 minutes ago, kcclax22 said:

What size are you looking at?  I believe mine are 265/70r18.  In SL, standard load, 4 ply.  Pretty sure Lt's will have a little more tread depth also. I wish they had more options, I would prefer a 6 ply tire, just something in the middle, not just a choice between a 4 or 10 ply.  Other than that I'm pretty happy especially considering the price.  

315/70r17.  Big 35" tires (34.4") so passenger tires are not an option at this size. 

I had a set of Michelins that were E rated when we had the camper, huge difference from PT's to those. My wife says they were they best tires ever (it was her Suburban) and we traded the damn thing less than a year after purchase of the new tires. 

Edited by Doewhacker

21 minutes ago, Larry302 said:

Remember Danny B from your bouncing days ? His Uncle owns a tire shop in Town  . 

Ha, forgot about that.  I doubt they can beat the best price online plus no sales tax, free shipping and my buddy will mount and balance for $80 all in.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

I had a set of Michelins that were E rated when we had the camper, huge difference from PT's to those. My wife says they were they best tires ever (it was her Suburban) and we traded the damn thing less than a year after purchase of the new tires. 

I don't know.  First set was E rated 10ply, second set D rated 10ply and I am still looking at new tires after 65k miles.  And I rotate every oil chance.  Wear is even.  I do have a heavy truck and almost all city driving.  Otherwise I can't explain why I wear em out so soon.  My buddy has a super duty and gets about 10k from his tires but is constantly towing heavy equipment.   At least he makes me feel better.  Lol

Worn out Firestones work for me ! Only have to be pulled out once in awhile ...

Keep moving stop on high ground . If that fails I'll pull tags walk down street and buy another car no biggie . Today was over grown so I did not know it was soupy .

ill clean it up at work tomorrow , really ill have the rookie do,it for me . Rank has its privilege as they say !

image.jpg

• Like 1

Always had great luck with Cooper tires for car. Ridgeland has had Hankook tires on it that have lasted forever 60k+. I've taken it off-road in places I should never have and they seemed to pull through whatever just fine. Winter or mud. I really like them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...
On 8/9/2017 at 4:54 PM, moog5050 said:

Finishing off my duratracs.  They have performed fine.  Got about 35k from them and decent in winter.  Ok in wet.  But these Falkens seem to have great reviews.  Anybody try them. The duratracs got loud as they wore down.  These seem to be reviewed as very quiet and have the snowflake rating for winter.  Plus, at $893 for 4, they are several hundred less than duratracs.  Thoughts?

So what did you end up with? I'm in the market for tires and love the look of the aggressive tires but not the price. The Falkens seem to hit both. An aggressive look but wallet friendly. 

3 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

So what did you end up with? I'm in the market for tires and love the look of the aggressive tires but not the price. The Falkens seem to hit both. An aggressive look but wallet friendly. 

I ended up with the new BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2.  Same tires that come on the new raptors.  They ride really nice and have handled the snow well.  They are also quiet (which drove me nuts on the Duratracs as they aged).  Only downfall is that my first set of Goodrich only lasted 33k miles but I also found this set of 4 online for $790 shipped so whatever I lose in mileage was probably offset by the cost.  Happy with them so far.

I have Kumho AT51's on my truck and they are a great tire. They seem to be lasting well and handle any snow or mud I have thrown at them. The truck is a 2003 1500 silverado 4x4.  I have 8 ply on my truck and haven't noticed a ride difference between the 6 ply other than when loaded there is a lot less "wiggle" in the truck. Going to a 10 ply from a 6 ply your fuel economy probably tanked making that much of jump. Look at www.jegs.com they have free shipping and great prices on AT51. We are going to be putting a set on the wifes Traverse next year we like them so much. I ran the Firestone Destinations A/T before these and they were ok but for the price I got these tires for a lot cheaper and a size bigger and 2 more plys to boot.

Edited by chas0218

5 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I ended up with the new BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2.  Same tires that come on the new raptors.  They ride really nice and have handled the snow well.  They are also quiet (which drove me nuts on the Duratracs as they aged).  Only downfall is that my first set of Goodrich only lasted 33k miles but I also found this set of 4 online for $790 shipped so whatever I lose in mileage was probably offset by the cost.  Happy with them so far.

Those tires used to wear like iron, sucks they don't last that long anymore.

I have always had good luck with Coopers as well. My last truck had Wranglers on it at the dealer new and I made them switch em out for BFGs on the truck next to it before I bought it new. Had Wranglers on a ride previously and they were shot at 30,000 miles. The BFGs still had decent tread when I traded the truck last fall at close to 70,000!!!

My new ride came with Goodyear's and they look sweet but I am sure they won't last just like and other GY I have had.

3 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Thats what I had on my truck before I went to the 35s. They were great at first, then about 20k later, they were downright dangerous, even just in the rain. I hope you have better luck with them than I did. BTW, the Falken Wildpeaks are great from what I have heard. Im running Nittos, been awesome so far.

7 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Thats what I had on my truck before I went to the 35s. They were great at first, then about 20k later, they were downright dangerous, even just in the rain. I hope you have better luck with them than I did. BTW, the Falken Wildpeaks are great from what I have heard. Im running Nittos, been awesome so far.

The new style is supposed to be better but the first set I had weren’t bad. Just not a long life. 

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Perhaps you didn't rotate them daily as recommended.  It only takes me an extra 1/2 hour each morning but well worth it!

Only 1/2 hour? oh right I forgot you can just pick the truck up with one hand and rotate the tires with the other. :rofl: