Fletch's Freezer Filler Fun 2017

Fletch

10/30 pm 48

Out behind the house in the far stand. Wind died down nice after that wicked wind and rain. I had the unicorn buck (4pt) do a big semi circle around me. He was just easing along eating. Did not look to be actively searching.

10/31 am 40

In the outer hole stand for two hours. It was chilly wth the wind. Has a spike way out go by then when I turned around to keep watching I saw another move and prance away. I soon figured the spike bumped him since they came right back out. A 6 with the spike following after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11/1/17 am 34

Out back in the far stand for 2 hours. I jumped some deer about 150 yards from my stand going in. Crap hate that. Got set up and had a couple somethings walk under me. Just the way they sounded I think yotes. It was a real nice morn but zip. Pulled far cam on way out. See that a big ole pine came down across my prop line trail. I grabbed the saw and went back in for a few just to open up around the edge. The cam had 4-5 different young bucks and some does. Lots of yotes, a fox.....nothing big. Have not seen any of the big ones on cam for a while.

11/1 pm 40's

Hit the field edge pine for the last hour. Once daylight savings hits I will hit this stand a bit more since it is just 50 feet off the lawn and in and out with no disturbing. I can slip in for a quick last hour hunt. The deer have been cutting through here quite a bit and there is a scrape being kept fresh. I did have the wind knock down a big old dead pine on the prop line cut. I will need to cut that out of there before gun.

All I did is sit for an hour and get my gear wet lol.

10/4 pm

Hit up Howland Island for evening. Had a crazy trip as we got there and the river was over the banks which made a good 500 yard stretch just past the bridge under water. Little hairy but we made it. I ended up wandering all over. 1st spot wind was bad. Second had a hunter so ended up in a spot I had been up once before. Due to the flooded spring also none of the fields got planted with corn so every field on the island is in weeds. So that is a big deer feed change!

I saw two shooter bucks. Both too far out and both didn't want anything to do with calls. My Bro in law was with me as well. He put a great shot on a 6 point. I had a 30-40 minute walk back to truck then another 15 or so to find him and help drag. Very happy for him it's been 8 years since he has got one with the bow. He works a lot and does not get out a bunch.

• Like 1

11/5 am 48

Out in the tower with my son this morn for 3 hours. We went in at first light when the rain eased up. I was not even settled when he saw the first yote that went across clearing. Another came out and started walking away I whistled and it stopped to look back and Conner put a bolt right in the head at 22 yards. Dropped it right there. I dragged that out the way and a bit later another came in but he couldn't get the safety off quick enough before it got edgy at the crime scene and bugged out. He saw another cross back farther out. I think the whole group was around us this morn. One less now. Beautiful cream color.
90a3f0ad83ef0109f12e8dd089eb5b4c.jpg

• Like 3

On November 5, 2017 at 11:19 AM, Fletch said:

11/5 am 48

Out in the tower with my son this morn for 3 hours. We went in at first light when the rain eased up. I was not even settled when he saw the first yote that went across clearing. Another came out and started walking away I whistled and it stopped to look back and Conner put a bolt right in the head at 22 yards. Dropped it right there. I dragged that out the way and a bit later another came in but he couldn't get the safety off quick enough before it got edgy at the crime scene and bugged out. He saw another cross back farther out. I think the whole group was around us this morn. One less now. Beautiful cream color.
90a3f0ad83ef0109f12e8dd089eb5b4c.jpg

Good going, that thing looks too healthy, they must be eating good there. Kill them all

11/7am 37

Man it got light quick this morning. Calm and cold. Sat for 2.5 hours in the far stand out back. At 8:15 I heard running off to my right and saw a deer run in. It was a doe she stopped 60 yards off my side and I saw another a ways back and I am thinking oh yea buck. But alas it was 3 flat heads. Looked like two doe and a fawn. They worked out in front of me and the slight breeze kept shifting and they got a hint and spooked and ran about 40 yards then just walked off.

I also jumped two 10 steps out the garage door this morning in the dark, that was a first.

11/8 am 25

It was a cold calm morning. First frost of the season here. Sat for 2.5 hours in the far stand and saw absolutely nothing lol.

I did think i bumped one coming out near the tower and saw running tracks. I pulled that card and the one antlered 4 point was in front of that stand at 8:30am.

11/10 pm 25

Windy and cold!! With the wind easing down from earlier thought it would be good. Zero going on.

So Thursday mid day took a trip to the island and our regular entrance was closed out to flooding. I tried the old entrance on the other side on the island 30 minutes away. That side was higher and accessible.

I then made the stupid decision to hike in to the far side with pack climber an x bow. A good 3 mile hike which at the end of I managed to lose my iPhone. That ruined the evening and I actually was back there Friday morning looking but 2 inches of snow hurt that. Just not a good couple of days.

On a side note I put up 8 cock pheasants in this field I lost the phone in. I may bring the shotgun next!

10/11

I hunted 7 hours outa the tower. Did not see a deer. The only contact I got down at 10 to hit house to warm up for a few. I get down go piss in scrape and I hear blow off my right in the thick then it starts crunching in the leaves coming towards me. I hung up on the ground for 45 minutes but never came out or left. I slipped out and back a while later.

10/12 am

In the tower for 3 hours this morn. Had one big lone doe walk through at 9:20. Nothing following. I am getting lots of daytime pics here and night. A shooter 8 is here pretty much every day or two. He is winning so far.

So I took off for my 3rd trip to the island with a borrowed metal detector to search for phone. Another 50 minute drive, mountain bike the 3 miles in and the snow had melted so searching was easier. After another hour and a half I finally found it. Once it warmed up working fine. What a dumb ass way to ruin most of my 4 day weekend!