7.62x39

I killed a few deer with my mini 30 when I lived in NC. Was never impressed with the performance. I tried Hornady sst's and the Winchester X's. I beleve Barnes is making a 123gn bullet now. If I was going to hunt with it now I would probably hand load some of them to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've killed several deer with my mini 30, it's my go to rifle for deer if I'm not using my muzzloader. It's close to a 30/30, plenty of good hunting ammo out there and even more to plink with 

Edited by sbuff
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2017 at 9:25 PM, Borngeechee said:

Bought me a CZ 527 in 7.62x39. Cant wait to try it out. Anyone else huny with a 7.62x39? 51eea7809b9d5367569653d2f1af2fe3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Sweet looking rifle!  Hope to see a picture of it lying across a deer this fall! 

Yes in a mini... Here are a few things Ive discovered along the way.... Is the barrell a .308 or a .310 in bore.. This affects how everything performs. My mini happens to be a .308 bore, which is great when Im running reloads because of the wide bullet selection. Now most .308 bullets are designed to hold up in a 308 win or 30'06 which can end up being almost twice the velocity of the 7.62x39. So when you use them in the smaller chambering the termanal performance is poor ( minimal to no expansion). So what I ended up using was a Sierra Varmit TnT 123 gr. Its a weak bullet that opens fully at slower velocity. (also comes apart out of th '06 when loaded heavy) Lots of trial and error but I do carry it in the woods off and on through the season and Im now confident in it within reasonable expectations.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yes in a mini... Here are a few things Ive discovered along the way.... Is the barrell a .308 or a .310 in bore.. This affects how everything performs. My mini happens to be a .308 bore, which is great when Im running reloads because of the wide bullet selection. Now most .308 bullets are designed to hold up in a 308 win or 30'06 which can end up being almost twice the velocity of the 7.62x39. So when you use them in the smaller chambering the termanal performance is poor ( minimal to no expansion). So what I ended up using was a Sierra Varmit TnT 123 gr. Its a weak bullet that opens fully at slower velocity. (also comes apart out of th '06 when loaded heavy) Lots of trial and error but I do carry it in the woods off and on through the season and Im now confident in it within reasonable expectations.

It's .311 from my understanding

I've hunted with a Mini 30 in the past.  Found it a bit on the heavy side.  But the 7.62x39 is an adequate deer round out to at least 100 yards.  Good factory hunting ammo works well.  Avoid the military surplus stuff, even if it is a soft point.  It's really substandard IMHO.

I've hunted with a Mini 30 in the past.  Found it a bit on the heavy side.  But the 7.62x39 is an adequate deer round out to at least 100 yards.  Good factory hunting ammo works well.  Avoid the military surplus stuff, even if it is a soft point.  It's really substandard IMHO.

I use the surplus just for fun but bought the hornady sst ammo for actual hunting

• Like 1

It's .311 from my understanding

There are too many variances.. Measuring is the only way to know, or just load some different stuff and see what it likes the best.. Example.. My mini prefers Nosler ballistic tip 150 gr. (.308) with a max load of reloader 7, shoots clover leafs at 100 yrds but you can run faster then the bullet. (1000 to 1100 fps crono) and that particular bullet likes 2500 fps ( out of the '06) to fully open up. The TnT 125 gr will shoot 1in groups but cronos at 1600fps which is fast enough to make them open.

Found it online.   CZ 7.62x39 bore diameter is 0.300, groove diameter is 0.312.

I suggest that you continue to shoot and enjoy your rifle with standard, proven components. If you will be reloading, just remember that the .311 bullets might not work as well with the fastest powder you use with the .310 bullets and all should be fine.

• 1 month later...