Are there any restrictions on quartering and packing out game?

uberyan

Are you guys cutting off genitals hunting public land? Are you quartering? I never quarter in the field, but I often wait till the garage to even tag on private land. I've lost a tag once that was zip tied to a hole in a does ear but still ripped out during a drag. Cutting out her cooter seems excessive

Public for the most part. Although I have on private land as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

If I'm packing out a doe I'm not carrying the head, law says sex so while I'm gutting I cut out the two holes under the tail and put them in my pocket with the tag zip tied to it. With a buck I cut the horns off and his dangling duo and zip tie them and the tag to the horns. The law doesn't say 1 word about antlers it says sex.

Let's look at the Transporting section in the regulations. I am assuming ( I know I know). that you have quartered it at a minimum, possibly even deboned?

Transporting

Deer and bear may be transported either inside or outside the vehicle. Doesn't apply while you are walking out. 

• A deer carcass with head and deer carcass tag attached may be transported with the taker in attendance. Well it's not a carcass any longer and has not head so doesn't apply
  • If someone other than the taker is transporting the deer, an additional tag supplied by the taker bearing the names and addresses of the consignee and taker must be attached to the carcass. Doesn't apply becasue you are there
  • All portions of deer or bear meat being transported by the taker shall be individually tagged and the tags shall include the name, address, hunting license number, the date that the portions were cut, and the signature of the taker. The previous could apply to your conditions? Packaged or boxed portions of venison need only one tag and must be labeled "venison" on the outside of the box. If someone other than the taker is transporting the portions, an additional tag signed by the taker with the names and addresses of the consignee and taker is required for each portion. Doesn't seem to apply to your condition
  • Non-resident hunters: If your home state prohibits the importation of whole deer carcasses from NY, you will need to follow the above guidelines for transportation of individual or packaged portions of deer meat while in New York State You are a resident so doesn't apply
  • A deer carcass minus the head may be transported as above, but evidence of the sex of the deer must be intact. That would be as per the first bullet point but since it is cut up it is no longer a carcass.  The point of this being if you are transporting a carcass with no head there little they can verify about the kill  becasue the head is missing and no way to verify the antler conformance per the tag.  That is why in the next section they want to know where the head is. The deer carcass tag must be affixed to the carcass, and a tag supplied by the taker must also be attached showing the name and address of the taxidermist where the head was sent.
  • Heads of male deer may be transported to a taxidermist only if a tag supplied by the taker is attached bearing the taker's signature, address, hunting license number, number of points on each antler and the name and address of the taxidermist. Doesn't apply to your condition
  • The head of a doe with antlers that are 3 inches or more can be removed for mounting. Follow the same procedure that you would use for a buck you are having mounted. (See above.) Same as two bullets up

This is from the question and answer part.   Do I need to have my deer tags with the deer meat in my freezer?
A: No, the tags remain on the carcass. When the carcass is disposed of, the tags may also be discarded. However, when you are transporting packaged venison, you must provide a tag with the meat.  Based on this answer they sure seem to  view what you are leaving in the woods as the carcass. which would leave you to apply the first half of bullet 3 ?

They actually do mention antlers in the last bullet and the other "head" references are for that purpose.  Let's face it. It will not take a rocket scientist DEC employee to count two tenderloins, two back straps, two hind quarters and two front quarters. if they can confirm in some way that you have the meat from the deer you are claiming on the tag you aren't gettign a ticket. Unless you are acting like a goof and then all bets are off and any one of us could have something written against us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belo said:

Are you guys cutting off genitals hunting public land? Are you quartering? I never quarter in the field, but I often wait till the garage to even tag on private land. I've lost a tag once that was zip tied to a hole in a does ear but still ripped out during a drag. Cutting out her cooter seems excessive :)

tag on when you get to building or into/onto a vehicle. 

wow, didn't expect this thread to blow up.

I suppose evidence of sex gets trickier when you take a doe and quarter it (like Belo said, cutting out the cooter just sounds wrong whereas taking the testicles off a buck doesn't seem so bad).

I've only got buck tags so I'm sure taking out the head with antlers is sufficient in proving sex.

I'll probably take the teabag as an insurance anyway.

Maybe throw it at slow left lane drivers on the way home. Kidding, maybe.

• Like 1

Let's look at the Transporting section in the regulations. I am assuming ( I know I know). that you have quartered it at a minimum, possibly even deboned?

Transporting

Deer and bear may be transported either inside or outside the vehicle. Doesn't apply while you are walking out. 

• A deer carcass with head and deer carcass tag attached may be transported with the taker in attendance. Well it's not a carcass any longer and has not head so doesn't apply
  • If someone other than the taker is transporting the deer, an additional tag supplied by the taker bearing the names and addresses of the consignee and taker must be attached to the carcass. Doesn't apply becasue you are there
  • All portions of deer or bear meat being transported by the taker shall be individually tagged and the tags shall include the name, address, hunting license number, the date that the portions were cut, and the signature of the taker. The previous could apply to your conditions? Packaged or boxed portions of venison need only one tag and must be labeled "venison" on the outside of the box. If someone other than the taker is transporting the portions, an additional tag signed by the taker with the names and addresses of the consignee and taker is required for each portion. Doesn't seem to apply to your condition
  • Non-resident hunters: If your home state prohibits the importation of whole deer carcasses from NY, you will need to follow the above guidelines for transportation of individual or packaged portions of deer meat while in New York State You are a resident so doesn't apply
  • A deer carcass minus the head may be transported as above, but evidence of the sex of the deer must be intact. That would be as per the first bullet point but since it is cut up it is no longer a carcass.  The point of this being if you are transporting a carcass with no head there little they can verify about the kill  becasue the head is missing and no way to verify the antler conformance per the tag.  That is why in the next section they want to know where the head is. The deer carcass tag must be affixed to the carcass, and a tag supplied by the taker must also be attached showing the name and address of the taxidermist where the head was sent.
  • Heads of male deer may be transported to a taxidermist only if a tag supplied by the taker is attached bearing the taker's signature, address, hunting license number, number of points on each antler and the name and address of the taxidermist. Doesn't apply to your condition
  • The head of a doe with antlers that are 3 inches or more can be removed for mounting. Follow the same procedure that you would use for a buck you are having mounted. (See above.) Same as two bullets up

This is from the question and answer part.   Do I need to have my deer tags with the deer meat in my freezer?
A: No, the tags remain on the carcass. When the carcass is disposed of, the tags may also be discarded. However, when you are transporting packaged venison, you must provide a tag with the meat.  Based on this answer they sure seem to  view what you are leaving in the woods as the carcass. which would leave you to apply the first half of bullet 3 ?

They actually do mention antlers in the last bullet and the other "head" references are for that purpose.  Let's face it. It will not take a rocket scientist DEC employee to count two tenderloins, two back straps, two hind quarters and two front quarters. if they can confirm in some way that you have the meat from the deer you are claiming on the tag you aren't gettign a ticket. Unless you are acting like a goof and then all bets are off and any one of us could have something written against us. 

I'll be honest I have read this same thing a bunch of times and still have no idea what it is trying to say.

When I first started my tent camp up north I emailed a Encon officer that worked out of the Warensburg office. I can't find the email but I have it printed at my camp. Basically what he said was as long as the meat appears to be one deer and I have something proving the sex with it I am good to go. He also said worst case scenario is to remember where the carcass is so I could bring an officer to it if need be. He also stated that boned out meat is no different than some one leaving the butcher with their meat, they don't give the head of a doe back with your meat at any butcher I have been to.

I emailed him because I had read the laws on it about 5 times and was more confused than when I started.

I'll be honest I have read this same thing a bunch of times and still have no idea what it is trying to say.
When I first started my tent camp up north I emailed a Encon officer that worked out of the Warensburg office. I can't find the email but I have it printed at my camp. Basically what he said was as long as the meat appears to be one deer and I have something proving the sex with it I am good to go. He also said worst case scenario is to remember where the carcass is so I could bring an officer to it if need be. He also stated that boned out meat is no different than some one leaving the butcher with their meat, they don't give the head of a doe back with your meat at any butcher I have been to.
I emailed him because I had read the laws on it about 5 times and was more confused than when I started.

My contacts have retired. I wish we had contacts in each region to get consensus.

My contacts have retired. I wish we had contacts in each region to get consensus.

That would be nice!

This thread has my curiosity peaked again. I'll call them in the morning and try to get something in writing.

Of course if we emailed 5 offices we will most likely get 5 different answers but something in writing means a lot more than an "I though."

• Like 1

Sorry I did not read this whole thing , what exactly are the questions to the Econ officer you guys want answered ? One hunts the farm and I know two others that I touch base with most seasons . 

Zone 8

15 hours ago, Elmo said:

In all seriousness though, as mentioned previously, antlerless bucks are treated as does anyway so I just bag out the head as well.  Not messing with genitals.

it's interesting to me that in my opinion the main purpose to field quarter is to save weight and make an easier drag. I do intend to do this if I'm lucky to get a black bear this fall. Throwing the head in there is just added weight.

14 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

That would be nice!

This thread has my curiosity peaked again. I'll call them in the morning and try to get something in writing.

Of course if we emailed 5 offices we will most likely get 5 different answers but something in writing means a lot more than an "I though."

I agree with culver's point. If you've quartered and tagged your deer of either sex, i doubt you're getting any grief from an officer with or without proof of sex. The only time I think you're getting some grief is if you have antlers in your sack and a doe tag attached, not the other way around. 

but... if this is really a concern, i stand by my statement of skinning and quartering in the garage :):):) 

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Belo said:

it's interesting to me that in my opinion the main purpose to field quarter is to save weight and make an easier drag. I do intend to do this if I'm lucky to get a black bear this fall. Throwing the head in there is just added weight.

got any plans for the hide?  Mount?  Rug?  

32 minutes ago, Belo said:

Preference.  If I ever get a bear and make a rug, I want the head attached.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

got any plans for the hide?  Mount?  Rug?  

1 hour ago, Elmo said:

Preference.  If I ever get a bear and make a rug, I want the head attached.

that's exactly my plan. head attached rug. I am going in with very little expectation. Just an excuse to go to the cabin and something to do. 

• Like 1

On 8/10/2017 at 3:37 PM, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I don't agree with you guys on the sex organs. After all our tag is NOT for a buck. It is for an antlered deer with one antler 3" or over (AR area excepted)

Just to be clear, 2016's regulations (I assume the same will apply for this year) did require proof of gender remain attached until final butchering or taxidermy work if the carcass is transported without the head:

A deer carcass minus the head may be transported
as above, but evidence of the sex of
the deer must be intact
. The deer carcass
tag must be affixed to the carcass, and a tag
supplied by the taker must also be attached
showing the name and address of the taxidermist
where the head was sent.

5 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

So if it is skinned and quartered or even deboned, is it still a carcass?

Not sure on the skinned and quartered part.  I'd assume by the time you've actually deboned and packaged the meat for final consumption you'd no longer need proof of sex.  

The paragraph I quoted was on the same page as the quotes you provided if you want to get further details on the regulations.  

21 minutes ago, Padre86 said:

Not sure on the skinned and quartered part.  I'd assume by the time you've actually deboned and packaged the meat for final consumption you'd no longer need proof of sex.  

The paragraph I quoted was on the same page as the quotes you provided if you want to get further details on the regulations.  

This is from the question and answer part.   Do I need to have my deer tags with the deer meat in my freezer?
A: No, the tags remain on the carcass. When the carcass is disposed of, the tags may also be discarded. However, when you are transporting packaged venison, you must provide a tag with the meat.

Based on DEC's answer it would appear anything other than the meat would be the carcass. So once it is reduced to "meat" the part you were trying to reference wouldn't apply?

This is the exact reason for the last 3 pages, if I cut a deer up and walk out of the woods with nothing but a garbage bag of boned meat and a filled out tag what else do I need.

I have sent an email to my Dec. Contact and will post the reply. The book contradicts itself about 4 times on that one page.

22 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

This is the exact reason for the last 3 pages, if I cut a deer up and walk out of the woods with nothing but a garbage bag of boned meat and a filled out tag what else do I need.

I have sent an email to my Dec. Contact and will post the reply. The book contradicts itself about 4 times on that one page.

I would think that if you're caught strolling out of the woods with nothing more then a sack of meat and a tag, you're going to have a lot of questions to answer....I don't see it as being the same as walking out of a butcher's shop with your processed deer or stopped with it neatly packed into a cooler on your way home after a weekend of hunting.

10 minutes ago, jjb4900 said:

I would think that if you're caught strolling out of the woods with nothing more then a sack of meat and a tag, you're going to have a lot of questions to answer....I don't see it as being the same as walking out of a butcher's shop with your processed deer or stopped with it neatly packed into a cooler on your way home after a weekend of hunting.

If you bring the head out along with the meat there is absolutely nothing you would need to worry about.  I was stopped once at a road block by the DEC and had a box full of cut up meat and the head of a doe in bag laying on top of it with the proper tag filled out.  The DEC had no issue with the way I was transporting it.  There is no need to cut off the deers genitals because it will solve nothing.  You can kill a deer with antlers and you'd need to put a buck tag on it, yet the genitals could be of a doe and the DEC would not have any issue against you since the deer is properly tagged as an antlered deer.  So yanking off the genitals serves no purpose.