Are there any restrictions on quartering and packing out game?

uberyan

The one compromise my wife asked for when I took up hunting was that there would be no deer carcasses hanging in the backyard.

So my only option is to drop off the deer with a processor or field quarter it and pack it out.

I prefer the second option as I like to be part of the entire process.

What, if any, are the restrictions/rules regarding packing out game?

i.e. what can be left behind? I'm going to pack out as much meat as possible but wouldn't be going as far as trying to dig out meat from between the ribs or every possible nook and cranny or anything like that. Only organs I'd be taking would be the heart, liver and kidneys.

evidence of sex, if I take a buck and bring the head out with me is that sufficient or do the actual sex organs have to be in with the packed out meat?

and one random bit I've found floating around, if I spread the meat out between multiple game bags, does each bag really need it's own tag?

I'm hoping the rules would be the same for the entirety of NY but if there are special nuances between upstate and Long Island I'd like to know as well.

Thank you fine folks.

You can leave it in the field.  They just ask that it's done out of the way if it's a public use area.  Hikers complain when hiking a trail and they see a carcass along the way.  Whatever you leave behind will be gone in a few days due to scavengers.  They gotta eat too. Some wardens do want the organs for sex.  I'm not completely certain about that part.  The game bags are simply to keep the meat clean from dirt and leaves while keeping good air circulation to prevent rotting.  Honestly, they're more designed for long hunts out west or the Adirondacks where you've hiked in hours or even days from your car.  I've processed in the woods before, carried it out to my in simple garbage bags and then dumped into a big Rubbermaid tub in my car and the meat didn't go bad.  The one restriction is in DEP lands.  They require you to process at least 100 feet or yards (can't remember) from a water source as they don't want blood or other contaminates getting into the water supply.  I follow this rule even on none DEP land.

• Like 2

If you get a buck like Elmo stated some officers want to see proof so you need to take the sex organ.  If you have all the meat in one pack I don't think you need to label every bag but when you butcher it's suppose to be labeled on every separate piece.  If you are not sure you can contact the DEC and ask, they are friendly don't be afraid! 

On LI I would just drag it out and bring it to a butcher.  Nice thing is if you do it in the field you have less chance of bring home ticks and other parasites.  This is the main reason I let someone else butcher my deer, worth every penny.  IMO.  

• Like 2

I don't agree with you guys on the sex organs. After all our tag is NOT for a buck. It is for an antlered deer with one antler 3" or over (AR area excepted)

I would (and have in the past) keep the carcass tag with the head and bring the head out with me. the other portions that were in pieces were tagged per this:

Tagging

Here's what you must do immediately upon killing a deer or bear:

1. Fill in all information on the carcass tag and report tag with ink that won't erase.
  2. Detach the carcass tag from the report tag. Once filled in, the tag may not be altered.
  3. Keep the report tag; you will need it when you report your deer or bear.
  4. The month and date must also be cut or marked in ink on the margin of the carcass tag.
  5. You do not need to attach the tag to the carcass while it is being dragged or physically carried from the place of kill to a camp or point where transportation is available.
  6. Once you get to the camp or vehicle, attach the tag to the deer or bear immediately.
  7. Keep the tag attached to the carcass until it is cut up and prepared for consumption.

You may continue to assist other hunters after you have filled all of your tags, as long as you do not shoot or attempt to shoot a deer. "Being afield with slugs after filling your big game tags is illegal; carrying a centerfire rifle may be considered evidence of attempting to shoot deer."

Transporting

Deer and bear may be transported either inside or outside the vehicle.

• A deer carcass with head and deer carcass tag attached may be transported with the taker in attendance.
  • If someone other than the taker is transporting the deer, an additional tag supplied by the taker bearing the names and addresses of the consignee and taker must be attached to the carcass.
  • All portions of deer or bear meat being transported by the taker shall be individually tagged and the tags shall include the name, address, hunting license number, the date that the portions were cut, and the signature of the taker. Packaged or boxed portions of venison need only one tag and must be labeled "venison" on the outside of the box. If someone other than the taker is transporting the portions, an additional tag signed by the taker with the names and addresses of the consignee and taker is required for each portion.

Uberyan- I have skinned, and deboned deer right at the truck once I got them out if I knew it was hot and I wanted to get the meat on ice. I do this a lot in the NZ early Muzzleloader. I've pulled them up with just rope in a pinch but having a small gambrel and pulley set up is very nice to have in the vehicle to assist in this. 

Something like this  http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/ridge-hunter-4:1-gambrel-system?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions

Deboning in large chunks is very easy for an Officer to determine if a single deer is in possession and having the tagged head seals the deal for identification. 

• Like 1

If you get a buck like Elmo stated some officers want to see proof so you need to take the sex organ.  If you have all the meat in one pack I don't think you need to label every bag but when you butcher it's suppose to be labeled on every separate piece.  If you are not sure you can contact the DEC and ask, they are friendly don't be afraid! 
On LI I would just drag it out and bring it to a butcher.  Nice thing is if you do it in the field you have less chance of bring home ticks and other parasites.  This is the main reason I let someone else butcher my deer, worth every penny.  IMO.  
I agree as much as I'd like to process my own my local guy (good friend) does a fantastic job would take me years to get to where he is and I just don't have time. Drop off fill out what I want made and pick up. No mess no insects no hurry..my .02

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I cut up a small doe in the field last season, but I have to admit, I wasn't really aware of the propper procedure I needed to follow before-hand aside from filling out the carcass tag.

I had reduced the meat to 1 inch stew meat cubes anticipating it would all be turned into ground or used as is.

The remainder of the carcass I left behind in one pile and I put a trail cam over it. I suppose if there were any legal questions that needed to be answered, I could just return to that spot with whoever was asking and there would be enough evidence there to confirm a legal harvest. The meat was transported out bagged up in my backpack with the tag and packaged and labeled at home a short hike later. The thought of saving a "pocket puzzy" as gender identifier never occurred to me. 

IMO, anyone caught leaving the field with something like THAT should be found guilty of "illegal tagging",lol

• Like 3

i understand marriage is about compromise... but do you have a garage, big shed or barn? That's where most of us do our hanging processing anyhow. I would really avoid yard hanging for many reasons. bugs, animals, heat/wind/rain etc.

would she mind if you hung it in the garage? typically overnight is all that's really "needed" for a good drain. getting into aging is a whole nother discussion.

13 hours ago, Steve D said:

Say "yes Dear: and hang it in the front yard.

Ha, my wife would not be surprised if I went that route just to spite her. But then I'd have to contend with all the other wives in the neighborhood. I don't know if my neighbors are antis but the area in general doesn't scream hunter friendly.

1 hour ago, Belo said:

i understand marriage is about compromise... but do you have a garage, big shed or barn? That's where most of us do our hanging processing anyhow. I would really avoid yard hanging for many reasons. bugs, animals, heat/wind/rain etc.

would she mind if you hung it in the garage? typically overnight is all that's really "needed" for a good drain. getting into aging is a whole nother discussion.

I guess you're not familiar with Long Island... most of your barns are probably the size of our property lots.

Honestly, not bringing home the entire thing is not a big deal to me. I'm sure it's a little easier when you have it hanging but I've been watching a lot of tutorials on Indian quartering and the like. I'm sure it will take longer the first few times but it doesn't look too bad.

And like NFA-ADK mentioned, I get to leave the ticks and other critters in the field.

So the plan, all contingent on filling my *first* tag - quarter and place into separate game bags, mostly for organization sake. Hams in one bag, shoulders in another, backstraps and loins, and organs. 4 game bags total into a garbage bag into the pack with a teabag on top for extra confirmation of sex. And a nice 10pt head strapped to the pack (wishful thinking).

Basically coming home with groceries and with my end of the bargain held up, wife can't give me grief about boiling the skull in the backyard for euro mounting.

Everything comes up Milhouse...

• Like 1

Also less clean up when processing in the woods.  I processed in my dad's garage and he said it smelled for several days.  The second time I did it in the garage, I bleached the crap out of it but it means scrubbing.  Doing in the woods, I lost some meat but like you said, it's the small stew/burger/sausage meat scraps so it's not that big of a deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uberyan said:

Ha, my wife would not be surprised if I went that route just to spite her. But then I'd have to contend with all the other wives in the neighborhood. I don't know if my neighbors are antis but the area in general doesn't scream hunter friendly.

I guess you're not familiar with Long Island... most of your barns are probably the size of our property lots.

Honestly, not bringing home the entire thing is not a big deal to me. I'm sure it's a little easier when you have it hanging but I've been watching a lot of tutorials on Indian quartering and the like. I'm sure it will take longer the first few times but it doesn't look too bad.

And like NFA-ADK mentioned, I get to leave the ticks and other critters in the field.

So the plan, all contingent on filling my *first* tag - quarter and place into separate game bags, mostly for organization sake. Hams in one bag, shoulders in another, backstraps and loins, and organs. 4 game bags total into a garbage bag into the pack with a teabag on top for extra confirmation of sex. And a nice 10pt head strapped to the pack (wishful thinking).

Basically coming home with groceries and with my end of the bargain held up, wife can't give me grief about boiling the skull in the backyard for euro mounting.

Everything comes up Milhouse...

i'm familiar with LI. I live in the burbs too. I just put a hoist in my garage. Do you not have a garage? Even if cars are parked in there, you can't get yourself a temporary 6x6 space to hang and cut a deer? You can buy portable hangers and even those that mount to a hitch, check cabelas.

I know you're new to hunting and maybe you didn't mean to come off the way you did, but I'm trying to help. I repeat, you do not want to hang a deer outside anyhow. 

The only reason anyone quarters a deer in the field is because it's in a location that's really hard to drag it out. Typical game that is quartered in the field is larger animals like elk and moose. You want to hang your deer if at all possible, you can read the 780 articles online that explain why. But just the act of field dressing can be a pain. There's nothing fun about it when it's really cold... or really warm or even worse if it's raining. Then you're going to have to skin it while it's quartered which isn't ideal, or skin it in the field which will leave your meat exposed and covered in hair and dirt. Heck lets not forget dressing a deer in the dark! I imagine you'll get tired/annoyed and then sloppy and end up wasting meat. Again, this is hard enough in a nice garage with the deer hanging. You'll also need a nice sized cooler which isn't cheap and some ice and then you'll have to clean that mess out too.

What you're asking about isn't impossible or wrong, but it would be my last resort. I would pay a butcher before I quartered a whitetail in the field. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Belo said:

i'm familiar with LI. I live in the burbs too. I just put a hoist in my garage. Do you not have a garage? Even if cars are parked in there, you can't get yourself a temporary 6x6 space to hang and cut a deer? You can buy portable hangers and even those that mount to a hitch, check cabelas.

I know you're new to hunting and maybe you didn't mean to come off the way you did, but I'm trying to help. I repeat, you do not want to hang a deer outside anyhow. 

The only reason anyone quarters a deer in the field is because it's in a location that's really hard to drag it out. Typical game that is quartered in the field is larger animals like elk and moose. You want to hang your deer if at all possible, you can read the 780 articles online that explain why. But just the act of field dressing can be a pain. There's nothing fun about it when it's really cold... or really warm or even worse if it's raining. Then you're going to have to skin it while it's quartered which isn't ideal, or skin it in the field which will leave your meat exposed and covered in hair and dirt. Heck lets not forget dressing a deer in the dark! I imagine you'll get tired/annoyed and then sloppy and end up wasting meat. Again, this is hard enough in a nice garage with the deer hanging. You'll also need a nice sized cooler which isn't cheap and some ice and then you'll have to clean that mess out too.

What you're asking about isn't impossible or wrong, but it would be my last resort. I would pay a butcher before I quartered a whitetail in the field. 

We have to get you some pointers on your techniques becasue I can't see any of what you said. Listening to so of the guys on this forum talk you would think we are discussing building a space shuttle. It really isn't that hard to do it and have it be sanitary and quick.  I have to find someone out by me with nuisance tags, I think I just figured out a great education event to put on for our branch.  

• Like 2

Personally I like to butcher the deer right away after I find it. Ill drag it to the spots that I have set up for skinning a deer and then I skin and butcher the deer in the field. Start to finish takes about 2 hours for me (a little longer for the first one of the season and a little longer if its pretty cold out). Ill never bring home a deer that still has its hide on, because the last thing I want to do is bring ticks home to my family. Sometimes Ill just quarter the deer and bring the quarters home if its late and im too tired to do the butchering there. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Personally I like to butcher the deer right away after I find it. Ill drag it to the spots that I have set up for skinning a deer and then I skin and butcher the deer in the field. Start to finish takes about 2 hours for me (a little longer for the first one of the season and a little longer if its pretty cold out). Ill never bring home a deer that still has its hide on, because the last thing I want to do is bring ticks home to my family. Sometimes Ill just quarter the deer and bring the quarters home if its late and im too tired to do the butchering there. 

I hang head down. cut off front legs at the knees. skin it down and head and cut head off. take the front shoulders off. remove backstraps. remove tenderloins. take the meat off each hind quarter in one chunk. done. in a pinch I have done it on the ground and did a side of the deer at a time. skinned belly to spine. did the same as above . rolled deer over and repeat on other side.  the only bones left in it are the front shoulders. Gut to meat bags in an hour.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I hang head down. cut off front legs at the knees. skin it down and head and cut head off. take the front shoulders off. remove backstraps. remove tenderloins. take the meat off each hind quarter in one chunk. done. in a pinch I have done it on the ground and did a side of the deer at a time. skinned belly to spine. did the same as above . rolled deer over and repeat on other side.  the only bones left in it are the front shoulders. Gut to meat bags in an hour.  

I always hang the deer up also. Only thing I like to do on the ground is to gut it...other then that its always hung up. 

• Like 2

We have to get you some pointers on your techniques becasue I can't see any of what you said. Listening to so of the guys on this forum talk you would think we are discussing building a space shuttle. It really isn't that hard to do it and have it be sanitary and quick.  I have to find someone out by me with nuisance tags, I think I just figured out a great education event to put on for our branch.  

So you quarter and skin in the field?

But like I said, you hang and quarter... just like me.

I wasn't allowed to hunt if I couldn't gut and butcher my own deer. I grew up watching my dad and uncle take care of their deer and when I shot my first deer my old man helped walk me through everything but after that I was on my own and he wouldn't let me take any deer if I wasn't going to do the work myself. Maybe that's the old school way idk but I always felt it was the way it's supposed to be.

The only time I will drop a deer off to be butchered for me is if I'm on an out of state hunt. At home I will gut them in the field and hang them from the apple tree in the back yard. If I'm hunting somewhere way back in, I will quarter it up in the field and pack it out instead of killing myself dragging.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

I wasn't allowed to hunt if I couldn't gut and butcher my own deer. I grew up watching my dad and uncle take care of their deer and when I shot my first deer my old man helped walk me through everything but after that I was on my own and he wouldn't let me take any deer if I wasn't going to do the work myself. Maybe that's the old school way idk but I always felt it was the way it's supposed to be.

The only time I will drop a deer off to be butchered for me is if I'm on an out of state hunt. At home I will gut them in the field and hang them from the apple tree in the back yard. If I'm hunting somewhere way back in, I will quarter it up in the field and pack it out instead of killing myself dragging.

Ha-ha-ha ..... what a difference. Back then you had to earn the right to hunt, and now you have to beg kids to hunt. Oh well.....

• Like 2

Dragging and gutting is a right of passage!
  • Like 2