Land purchase opinions.

So i'm in the process of trying to buy some land to build my new shop on but I also want a piece that I can hunt. I've searched a bunch of real estate apps to find land but it's always hit or miss some stuffs good But allot is crap. Where does everyone go to search for land for sale? Hunt real estate seems to have the best options so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, DeerSlayers said:

So i'm in the process of trying to buy some land to build my new shop on but I also want a piece that I can hunt. I've searched a bunch of real estate apps to find land but it's always hit or miss some stuffs good But allot is crap. Where does everyone go to search for land for sale? Hunt real estate seems to have the best options so far

IMO, probably better off finding land that isn't marketed as "hunting land". try Zillow, trulia, craigslist, etc. and search by acreage amount descending. Good Luck!

• Like 1

Yeah I don't search hunting land just land I general. I've tried Zillow, Trulia, realtor, hunt realtors, Craigslist. And probably more I can't think of. Everything's always 1 acre or smaller. I'm looking for at least 5 as long as there's woods or deer habitat nearby

14 minutes ago, DeerSlayers said:

Yeah I don't search hunting land just land I general. I've tried Zillow, Trulia, realtor, hunt realtors, Craigslist. And probably more I can't think of. Everything's always 1 acre or smaller. I'm looking for at least 5 as long as there's woods or deer habitat nearby

what county? i'll find something for you.

what county? i'll find something for you.

Madison county, the closer to Bridgeport the better, trying to find something 5-10 acres unless it's priced well. Currently looking at 5 acres for 15,000 also something that's not swampland as my wife has a horse she wants to have there

5 minutes ago, DeerSlayers said:

Madison county, the closer to Bridgeport the better, trying to find something 5-10 acres unless it's priced well. Currently looking at 5 acres for 15,000 also something that's not swampland as my wife has a horse she wants to have there

I don't know anything about that area, but I see the following (which are just a few of many examples).

32 acres in Lebanon for $39K.

18 acres in Brookfield for $25K

15 acres in Eaton for $24K

I don't know anything about that area, but I see the following (which are just a few of many examples).
32 acres in Lebanon for $39K.
18 acres in Brookfield for $25K
15 acres in Eaton for $24K

Eaton isn't too bad, got a link to the listing? Brookefield is a bit far for me tho

Is this "shop" going to be a business? Because that right there should be your main concern as to where to buy land...Zoning in small towns can be a tricky thing to navigate...So my suggestion go to the different towns that you think you want to be and thoroughly go over their zoning regulations and call town clerks about what hoops are required to jump through to open a business...many have this on line . That said...many rarely update...  look at the penny savers people still use them

Is this "shop" going to be a business? Because that right there should be your main concern as to where to buy land...Zoning in small towns can be a tricky thing to navigate...So my suggestion go to the different towns that you think you want to be and thoroughly go over their zoning regulations and call town clerks about what hoops are required to jump through to open a business...many have this on line . That said...many rarely update...  look at the penny savers people still use them

Yes, most places I've found are commercial. That's why i'm looking in certain places

• Like 1

Remember Commercial doesn't mean in a small town certain businesses would be allowed...IE It took one guy years and years to get permission for a car wash in a town...Another town refuses to allow scrap yards and trailer parks...you get the point. Commercial or not, restrictions could nix a project...Again personal ads(ppl selling) and hey checking on out of state owners...That's how we got 24 1/2 acres for 10,000 not too many years ago...

Remember Commercial doesn't mean in a small town certain businesses would be allowed...IE It took one guy years and years to get permission for a car wash in a town...Another town refuses to allow scrap yards and trailer parks...you get the point. Commercial or not, restrictions could nix a project...Again personal ads(ppl selling) and hey checking on out of state owners...That's how we got 24 1/2 acres for 10,000 not too many years ago...

I've lived here my whole life so I've been looking into what's aloud where. I do small engine repair so I'll have a 36X48 barn for my buiseness

• Like 1

I have been looking as well. We are about a year and a half away from buying (need that daycare money back in my pocket). Wife is totally on board. We are looking at 40-50 acres. Going to hold it as recreational property and pay it off for about 15 years. Then we will both be retiring, selling the current house and building the retirement home on it. Wife gave the ok to do what I please for hunting on it as well.

Everything is so expensive in my area though. We are just looking at areas and taxes and stuff as well. Kids will be out of school by the time we make the move so that's a bonus.

Good luck in your land hunt. Don't forget to check taxes. Land may be cheaper but higher taxes in some areas. And remember, taxes never go down. The payment will but the taxes won't.

All luck to you in your land purchase! That has been my dream for a long time.

It was part of a 10 year plan I started a year ago when I started up the buiseness out of my home garage but when I found this one piece of land so close to home and lost it I went into overdrive trying to get the ball rolling

It was part of a 10 year plan I started a year ago when I started up the buiseness out of my home garage but when I found this one piece of land so close to home and lost it I went into overdrive trying to get the ball rolling

Sounds like you have your ducks in a row. The property I have bought none of it has been "officially" for sale but I had cash and made offers. I think that is the best way to go about buying land. People might be struggling and not thinking about the value of their property.

Sounds like you have your ducks in a row. The property I have bought none of it has been "officially" for sale but I had cash and made offers. I think that is the best way to go about buying land. People might be struggling and not thinking about the value of their property.

Thanks, I had my own house at 23 and now plan to have some land with a shop by 30 and i'm currently 25. I've looked at some pieces of property that just sits around and I've searched the owners names on OnXHunts app but haven't had luck getting ahold of them. Hopefully I'll have something soon

• Like 1

Thanks, I had my own house at 23 and now plan to have some land with a shop by 30 and i'm currently 25. I've looked at some pieces of property that just sits around and I've searched the owners names on OnXHunts app but haven't had luck getting ahold of them. Hopefully I'll have something soon

I went to the town building and looked at the tax map, I'm in the same boat at 30 I have land and my own house. I live without a lot of other things and am debt free but I am living my dream!

• Like 1

I went to the town building and looked at the tax map, I'm in the same boat at 30 I have land and my own house. I live without a lot of other things and am debt free but I am living my dream!

That's awesome! I have too many toys and allot of credit card debt but i'm working my way down the debt list lol. Gonna sell allot of toys so I can get land with the least amount of financing

I could be wrong but I don't think you'll get a mortgage from a bank on vacant land without 3/4 down so keep that in mind

Personal loan or home equity loan and through a credit union. That's the way to go. You have to pay off the loan when you sell your current house though if you do home equity.

Personal loan you can do with very little down and home equity requires nothing down. Also advise the credit union or on home equity your plans with the land and that you are going to improve it.