What arrows do you use?

nybuckboy

13 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Nobody else shooting Victory Gamer Rip 400 V3's ?

6a3c6f496eb1a39c058edcb059e2ff27.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't remember what they are because it doesn't leave the case often but my wife shoots Victory arrows.  That help?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

an older gentleman that i consider a friend of mine has an older bow.  i think it's also a Mathews.  he's updated some accessories since and has obviously upgraded strings.  he shares the same mind set and it works.  he's taken over 50 deer with the same bow and aluminum arrows i believe.

Ha-ha....That's not to say that I didn't have my day with keeping up with the Jones's. Back when I was heavy into tournament, I created a wall full of bows and an armful of arrows and a couple of big drawers of every trinket and go-faster that anyone could conjure up. I have no idea how much money I spent on archery equipment back then. I still have that wall full of recurves and compounds, and a whole pile of fiberglass, wood and aluminum arrows. I also still have drawers full of broadheads and other hot selling gadgets, but as far as what I actually use for hunting anymore, it has been refined down to those things with a proven track record.

Hey, I've turned into a cheapskate ..... What can I say?

Edited by Doc

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Ha-ha....That's not to say that I didn't have my day with keeping up with the Jones's. Back when I was heavy into tournament, I created a wall full of bows and an armful of arrows and a couple of big drawers of every trinket and go-faster that anyone could conjure up. I have no idea how much money I spent on archery equipment back then. I still have that wall full of recurves and compounds, and a whole pile of fiberglass, wood and aluminum arrows. I also still have drawers full of broadheads and other hot selling gadgets, but as far as what I actually use for hunting anymore, it has been refined down to those things with a proven track record.

The "cheapskate" thing comes from retirement I'd bet. :)

17 hours ago, Doc said:

I also have a huge supply of aluminum 2117 Gamegetters also that I use as back-up. They also fly excellent and I have taken a pile of deer using them as well. The only accuracy problems that I have ever experienced with aluminum arrows, is when I fouled up the spine choices. I know arrows make a convenient excuse for misses, but the fact is that properly matched and tuned arrows shot from properly tuned equipment will seldom be a real excuse for misses.

By the way, they shoot super well out of my Damon Howatt Super Diablo recurve too.

My "go-to" hunting bow is a 1999 Mathews MQ-32. That old critter has shot a lot of aluminum arrows into a pile of deer. I now operate under the rule of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and as you can see that rule has been in effect for a lot of years in my archery equipment once I got past the experimental stages of my archery.

Not sure if you ever saw the diameter of the gamegetter 300s but after shooting micro diam arrows for the last 5 years, the 300 gamegetters literally seem like shooting telephone poles.  lol  They fly fine and I am sure will kill deer.  They are tough to fit in my quiver they are so big.

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Not sure if you ever saw the diameter of the gamegetter 300s but after shooting micro diam arrows for the last 5 years, the 300 gamegetters literally seem like shooting telephone poles.  lol  They fly fine and I am sure will kill deer.  They are tough to fit in my quiver they are so big.

there used to be an old belief that when the arrow was in a deer the larger diameter kept the wound open more and was more surface area for blood to draw out which led to a better blood trail.  idk.  i just take my mechanicals, high KE bow, and send one in one side and out the other.  times have changed i guess.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

Hunting - vforce hv by victory
3d - x-ringer by victory105672e64d3c05a822027062252629b9.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I shot the Winter league with the x-ringers for at least six years, I cant believe how well they hold up. They feel like theyre made out of potato chips I thought id bust up the whole dozen in a few weeks

12 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

there used to be an old belief that when the arrow was in a deer the larger diameter kept the wound open more and was more surface area for blood to draw out which led to a better blood trail.  idk.  i just take my mechanicals, high KE bow, and send one in one side and out the other.  times have changed i guess.

Im with you, give me an exit hole every time

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Doc said:

i'm kind of still that way now but not as bad as i used to be.  i have a whole at home shop to where i can almost do anything with a vertical bow.  i only have a half dozen bows hanging now.  i have a indoor fancy chrome and blue target bow i think i should get rid of.  i don't shoot indoors anymore as it conflicts with indoor pistol during the colder months.

13 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

two holes small holes are far and away more damage and bleeding than one big one.

YES, and this is even more important when shooting most mechanical broad heads.  In my opinion one should not take a shot at a deer with mechanicals unless you are fairly confident that you will get an exit hole.  I have observed many entrance wounds with mechanicals (mostly mine but also others I hunt with).  It is common for the entrance hole to be just a round bullet shaped hole as the blades have not had a chance to deploy yet.  The exit hole is usually massive.  So, for me, shots are limited to broadside or nearly broadside.  This isn't about just killing the deer, it's about an easy recovery.

jperch

2 hours ago, Belo said:

surprised nobody is shooting the CE red's. That was going to be my next arrow. Maybe i'm marketing brainwashed. 

Awesome arrows , I just did a some for a guy I shoot with. His overall weight was a touch low so I told him to shoot 125s to get the weight up and add some FOC,  he shoots really well with them.

20170803_223156.jpg

5 minutes ago, jperch said:

YES, and this is even more important when shooting most mechanical broad heads.  In my opinion one should not take a shot at a deer with mechanicals unless you are fairly confident that you will get an exit hole.  I have observed many entrance wounds with mechanicals (mostly mine but also others I hunt with).  It is common for the entrance hole to be just a round bullet shaped hole as the blades have not had a chance to deploy yet.  The exit hole is usually massive.  So, for me, shots are limited to broadside or nearly broadside.  This isn't about just killing the deer, it's about an easy recovery.

jperch

some designs you can have this happen despite they do still work.  i really only use Rage 2 blade broadheads.  slipcam design opens on entry and exit.  holes look the same.  definitely easier when you have two holes though.

10 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

I shoot ce piledrivers a bit beaver shaft they shoot great and have punched thru every deer so far

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

i've thought about trying these but they were green and looked overly out of place on all my bows.

18 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

The "cheapskate" thing comes from retirement I'd bet. :)

It started before then, but now that I am retired, it is really locked in ..... lol.

But seriously, there did come a time when I realized just how simple archery equipment could remain and still be effective. About the same time I decided that there are many people out there who create "needs and promises of guaranteed success" to sell me.  There are those who make a living selling us on the idea that we absolutely cannot engage in bowhunting without their new and improved product that gives us benefits that they are willing to convince us that we need. It's a lot like the fishing lure industry that is aimed at catching more fishermen than fish.....lol.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Doc said:

It started before then, but now that I am retired, it is really locked in ..... lol.

But seriously, there did come a time when I realized just how simple archery equipment could remain and still be effective. About the same time I decided that there are many people out there who create "needs and promises of guaranteed success" to sell me.  There are those who make a living selling us on the idea that we absolutely cannot engage in bowhunting without their new and improved product that gives us benefits that they are willing to convince us that we need. It's a lot like the fishing lure industry that is aimed at catching more fishermen than fish.....lol.

I agree with you 100%. I'm still shooting a Bowtech Patriot from 2002. it still shoots like the day I bought it and has killed more deer than I can remember. I haven't changed a thing to my setup in years. Fixed blades, aluminum arrows, one pin. It's a simple setup and gets the job done out to 30 yds.