river bottom pics

Here are a few photos from a camera I had out last fall. It was in a location that was fairly difficult to access, down in the gorge and a river crossing is needed to get to this spot. I tore my hamstring last December, and high water kept me from getting down there in the spring, but I finally made it down and pulled the cam. After the long sweaty hike in and out I sat down with a cold beer and was pumped to see what video I had on this card...... but was pretty disappointed to see a hunter come by in the last frame.  He turned off the camera which was secured with a python lock to the tree. I'm surprised he didn't take the card too.  I did purchase a few lock boxes since. I don't touch anyone's stuff in the park, I sure wish they would leave ‌mine alone.

IMG_3474.jpg

IMG_3478.jpg

IMG_3480.jpg

IMG_3673.jpg

• Like 5

Nice deer! It always sucks when someone screw with or takes your property.. It seems that most of us hunters are a good people. But of course there is always a loser... if I stole every tree stand I passed empty in the park , I'm not sure if we would have enough room in our 16' trailer to take em home.

If the time and date stamps are right they are the reason I hate to come out of the woods...lol.. I love those river bottoms. I have been mulling over the idea of taking a little 4hr drive and hanging a camera or 2 also..

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ncountry said:

Nice deer! It always sucks when someone screw with or takes your property.. It seems that most of us hunters are a good people. But of course there is always a loser... if I stole every tree stand I passed empty in the park , I'm not sure if we would have enough room in our 16' trailer to take em home.

If the time and date stamps are right they are the reason I hate to come out of the woods...lol.. I love those river bottoms. I have been mulling over the idea of taking a little 4hr drive and hanging a camera or 2 also..

Yeah, there are jealous hunters everywhere it seems. I've had 3 cams stolen in the last 3 years, so I lock them up now and placement comes into play more too. It sucks because I don't usually put the camera in the best location to catch game moving on a trail, when I'm trying to keep the camera out of plain view and above the line of sight.  I thought this spot would be good spot to see some mature deer, but it's a real pain to get to and knowing someone else may be hunting there is a downer. It seems like any decent looking place on the river bottom has 10 stands near it.

• Like 2

When I guided in Pike county Illinois I had one of my reconyx cams setup on top of this big hill that had a small pond at the top. I was catching some great bucks like this one up there
e0d40588d5e6a96ea7e1e9e69f2de30f.jpg

About halfway through the season I pulled the card and popped it into my MacBook only to see the card come up on my desktop as "GAMESPY" and not "RECONYX" as usual. Now I've never used a game spy product in my life so I knew right away something was wrong. After looking through my pics I could tell a lot had been deleted as there were big gaps and no monster bucks. This area was pretty close to the property line and my boss told me that the neighbors weren't exactly friendly as they had issues with them in the past. I'm glad they didn't take my camera but it's pretty ballzy to mess with someone's pics like that.

At least your camera wasn't taken that's all you can ask for I guess lol. Might have to start locking up the doors on them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, genesee_mohican said:

Yeah, there are jealous hunters everywhere it seems. I've had 3 cams stolen in the last 3 years, so I lock them up now and placement comes into play more too. It sucks because I don't usually put the camera in the best location to catch game moving on a trail, when I'm trying to keep the camera out of plain view and above the line of sight.  I thought this spot would be good spot to see some mature deer, but it's a real pain to get to and knowing someone else may be hunting there is a downer. It seems like any decent looking place on the river bottom has 10 stands near it.

So true.. I have taken my stand for more than one nice walk before. Never actually putting it in a tree because all the " good spots are taken.. .lol

Seems everybody reads the same books

I have found that many of the stands  rarely get used. . From one of  of my favorite bottom spots I can see 3 other stands . I haven't seen a person there in 6 years though.

The more difficult the access,the more likely people just set up a stand and never move it..

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

When I guided in Pike county Illinois I had one of my reconyx cams setup on top of this big hill that had a small pond at the top. I was catching some great bucks like this one up there

About halfway through the season I pulled the card and popped it into my MacBook only to see the card come up on my desktop as "GAMESPY" and not "RECONYX" as usual. Now I've never used a game spy product in my life so I knew right away something was wrong. After looking through my pics I could tell a lot had been deleted as there were big gaps and no monster bucks. This area was pretty close to the property line and my boss told me that the neighbors weren't exactly friendly as they had issues with them in the past. I'm glad they didn't take my camera but it's pretty ballzy to mess with someone's pics like that.

At least your camera wasn't taken that's all you can ask for I guess lol. Might have to start locking up the doors on them.

Wow, what a monster from Pike county!  

I've had 4 trail cameras stolen in the last 3 years in the park. I guess I didn't wise up fast?  The last one was 15 feet up on a tree, door locked and needed a code to use the cam.  Now........ I use pyhon locks and door locks on everything. I just picked up a lock box for my new Browing which I will bolt to the tree.... and use a python lock.   Most of my cams are a mile or more off the road, some are not but it hasn't seemed to matter.

Putting out cameras to get wildlife photos is one of my favorite hobby's that I do year round. Having a few nice cameras stolen has taken a lot of the fun out or it for me. It has angered me no doubt and I've thought about putting a decoy out to try and catch someone at it, but I really don't want to waste my time, plus I'm not sure what it would accomplish. I'll go with the locks, and lock the doors too, plus place the camera up high on a tree and point it down (which limits the amount of area the photo will capture), and see how it works out.

• Like 2

Wow, what a monster from Pike county!  
I've had 4 trail cameras stolen in the last 3 years in the park. I guess I didn't wise up fast?  The last one was 15 feet up on a tree, door locked and needed a code to use the cam.  Now........ I use pyhon locks and door locks on everything. I just picked up a lock box for my new Browing which I will bolt to the tree.... and use a python lock.   Most of my cams are a mile or more off the road, some are not but it hasn't seemed to matter.
Putting out cameras to get wildlife photos is one of my favorite hobby's that I do year round. Having a few nice cameras stolen has taken a lot of the fun out or it for me. It has angered me no doubt and I've thought about putting a decoy out to try and catch someone at it, but I really don't want to waste my time, plus I'm not sure what it would accomplish. I'll go with the locks, and lock the doors too, plus place the camera up high on a tree and point it down (which limits the amount of area the photo will capture), and see how it works out.

Man that sucks to hear you have lost that many. You really should try setting up a dummy cam to see who and if anyone messes with it. Trailcampro.com sells dummy cams for like $10 a piece I think. If your losing that many cams it's probably worth the 10 bucks to try and catch someone. Not like it would really affect the wildlife your trying to capture anyways. Hope you don't lose any more!

One year I hunt my climber on a downhill ridge...as dark approached I climbed down and left my summit climber on the tree in the dark for morning hunt...only to have it stolen
..no stand there the next morning...i always thought bowhunters were more ethical
Too many hunters in the park sometimes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 8/16/2017 at 11:49 AM, DanielT said:

One year I hunt my climber on a downhill ridge...as dark approached I climbed down and left my summit climber on the tree in the dark for morning hunt...only to have it stolen
..no stand there the next morning...i always thought bowhunters were more ethical
Too many hunters in the park sometimes

That is crazy! 

• Like 1

Another year in the park... I found an awesome spot with a bunch of 3 foot wide scrapes so I set up right nearby seeing deer on every hunt was excited got in there early in the mornings hunted 3 days in a row on the fourth day came out to my truck after the morning hunt to find Park police going through my truck I said is there a problem officer he said another Hunter reported that you were staying in the woods overnight
I told him no sir just got in early.
In hindsight..was thinking it was a hunter who wanted that spot and couldn't get there early enough to beat me to it

On the bright side of all of this, those are some great pics Genesee Mochican !! I look forward to seeing any photos you have from this year! Do you have any?? I was hoping someone would post some park photos on here this year.

That is really disappointing to hear about your cameras and stand Genesee Mochican and DanielT. With the cost of hunting equipment getting more expensive every year, I have a feeling the problems are only going to get worse 

• Like 1