Food plot help fast PLEASE

I finally had the time to clear 3 areas on my land. I tested the soil and I am at 5.8 on ph. I have one that is on a slope over looking the pond that will get clover as its easy to maintain and I can cut it with my sickle mower. My 2 other spots are in the woods. One is a 1/2 acre field surrounded by woods and thick brush with one trail going in the other  is horseshoe shaped. What should I plant ASAP that will grow? Yes I want have a plot for fall but it's late I also want something that will keep the weeds down. Even if it's temporary until next year is fine. I will disk it in and plant something next spring/ summer. Any help would be appreciated.

I would do a blend consisting of Cereal grains (Forage oats or Winter Wheat or Cereal Rye) with a brassica mix( turnip, radish, kale etc) and maybe annual clover, depending on where you are in the state you should have time to grow brassicas and some bulbs. All of these will grow in lower ph soils.  And if only a 1/2 acre a pure stand of brassicas would likely be wiped out. In the other plot you can do Cereal grains with Radish and Winter peas.  if looking for a bag off shelf (WI Winter Peas would work here).

Less exspensive would be the plot shot at Tractor supply...even the stuff I stored in my basement all winter grew great. I bought it after season for 8 dollars a 40 or 50 # bag...in season price I think is 29.00, but they always have 10% off coupons available. That and on line sales with free shipping to store pickup.

Well I just came back from Agway in Stamford. I picked up white clover for the hill. I got kale, radish and turnips for one plot that's over 1/2 acre. The back plot just under a 1/2 acre is what they call wild life mixture which is ww, clover and some other stuff. Right now late in the season I am just looking for some green growth and maybe a a few deer hit it. It's my first try so something is better then nothing. I am hoping to keep the weeds down too. Next year I'll disk it in and start earlier in the year. Just forward progression 

The WW & clover mix should do good for you.   Winter wheat is more attractive to deer than winter rye and it will keep the weeds at bay, allowing the white clover to develop good for next season(s).  They like oats even better, but the first good frost kills that off and will probably hit early on this "cooler than normal" season.   The wheat should give you some good attraction this fall.  It is often hit or miss with the turnips.  On our farm, they hit them real hard after a hard frost, but at my folks place (about 20 miles away) they never go near them.      

16 hours ago, The Engineer said:

Well I just came back from Agway in Stamford. I picked up white clover for the hill. I got kale, radish and turnips for one plot that's over 1/2 acre. The back plot just under a 1/2 acre is what they call wild life mixture which is ww, clover and some other stuff. Right now late in the season I am just looking for some green growth and maybe a a few deer hit it. It's my first try so something is better then nothing. I am hoping to keep the weeds down too. Next year I'll disk it in and start earlier in the year. Just forward progression 

Good thing i read through all your posts because before reading this one i was going to suggest that you go to agway in Stamford and speak with them. They will steer you right and have lots of seed variety, lime and fertilizer.  Im in harpersfield, and thats where i go for all my plot essentials. They will also deliver lime by the truckload based upon your soil tests. They also do soil tests as well. 

McDowell & Walker in Afton is a great resource also. The have lots of food plot seed varieties, do soil tests and will apply lime for you as well.

I would go with turnips this time of the year. They should really grow great in virgin soil as long as you can turn it over a little.

I just got off the phone with them. They a lot there free soil tests and for $30 test your property in multiple area and set up fertilizer and soil amendments. Much easier for me being I am a weekend warrior thank you all for your help. Now just st waiting for the rain to stop so I can fertilize and seed