Another coyote attack

silent death

The more I hear of this goin on and Dec does nothing about the problem makes me wonder..  Why don't they change the season dates so people will actualy hunt for them I mean come on I think opening coyote season the same day deer opens is just plain stupid . If they made the season open earlier than October it would make a difference because allot of coyotes are more responsive to calls now than say deer season when there are allot of people in the woods...just a rant

• Like 4

All I was trying to say was if the season was earlier more people would participate...most people are deer hunting comes october.. and coyotes come to calls now more than winter months cause they are to busy chasing deer when the snow gets deep and the weather gets cold

Edited by silent death

All I was trying to say was if the season was earlier more people would participate...most people are deer hunting comes october.. and coyotes come to calls now more than winter months cause they are to busy chasing deer when the snow gets deep and the weather gets cold

I can't imagine too many people being out hunting coyotes during the summer, between the bugs and the heat and the worthless pelts. Realistically I don't think a longer season would make much difference at all maybe a few more opportunistic kills but then again they happen now all the time from farmers and landowners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My point is it ain't no hotter now then it has been in October the last couple years ...and I am sorry to tell you the bugs are no different up here in the caskill mountains than they are comes october or even November ...I think more people would be in the woods coyote hunting right now if they were open than say deer season. 

• Like 2

I don't hunt them because I have no idea how to take care of the pelts, the pelts aren't worth anything either and you can't eat the meat. That's a triple whammie. I've never tried hunting then but it may be fun. Also I deer hunt and that is my main season. Then it's too cold and I'm too burned out from deer hunting to care come January and February.

23 minutes ago, Wrangler said:

I'm curious if hunting is the answer. How many people actively hunt coyotes?  

I do I have guns that are made just for hunting them both have atn night vision scopes on them ..go on predator master forum and bark at the moon or any of the predator hunting sites there's more than you think 

Edited by silent death
  • Like 1

It's the same reason I went to the trapping class last September and I have the certificate in my pocket but have never trapped or even got the license.

Not many people out there willing to teach anymore how to do this stuff.

Nowadays if you don't grow up doing something then you likely will never do it.

My point is it ain't no hotter now then it has been in October the last couple years ...and I am sorry to tell you the bugs are no different up here in the caskill mountains than they are comes october or even November ...I think more people would be in the woods coyote hunting right now if they were open than say deer season. 

Here in the southern ADK's the bugs have been unbearable and they will be gone after the first frost usually around oct1. Around here when people see a coyote they shoot it. Other than the few people that run them with hounds very few guys actually hunt coyotes. I hunt around 11 big farms in the area and I'm the only one that coyote hunts on any of them.

I can't imagine too many people being out hunting coyotes during the summer, between the bugs and the heat and the worthless pelts. Realistically I don't think a longer season would make much difference at all maybe a few more opportunistic kills but then again they happen now all the time from farmers and landowners.

You would be surprised how many dogs can be" Struck by Lightning" for a week or so after taking hay off a field. Young of the year are not real bright then and a fella can put a good dent in the local population Well that's what I hear anyways!

• Like 3

You would be surprised how many dogs can be" Struck by Lightning" for a week or so after taking hay off a field. Young of the year are not real bright then and a fella can put a good dent in the local population Well that's what I hear anyways!

That's what I have heard ;)
There isn't a tractor or field truck around these parts that doesn't have some kind of a rifle in them. Woodchucks and coyotes aren't very well liked.

• Like 1