too wet to till

I've started prep for a new food plot, (see need a york rake blog) and I have access to the tractor this weekend only. I am afraid it is going to be too wet to work it? We have had a lot of rain lately and it came fast and heavy. The ground is really wet! I'm going to give it a try but I am afraid I'm just wasting my time. If I don't do anything now I won't be able to get back at it until at least September 16, will that be too late to put in a mix of turnip/radish and clover? 

Can't say with out knowing what the weather will do...you could get away with WG and still get some good growth with the clover in the WW , WR might out compete the clover in spring.

I have 150 #'s of WW & WR  to put in I want to plant clover in the WW. This is fine because later is better to beat Hassian flies in the wheat Sept 5-15 is the Hassian fly dates for here...I dont worry about the rye it will be cut early spring. That can be planted earlier with turnips for a good double crop. Now is good planting for this,but yes too wet here as well. Discing will cause  clumping ..a pain to break up.

Edited by growalot

Well I went out and tilled the plot with the rototiller and it was real wet. But the tiller turned it up pretty good so I'm hoping that between the wind and the sun over the next couple of days it should dry enough so I can get it planted Monday after work. I'll probably add some powdered lime at the same time, it shouldn't hurt? I'll post some pics when I get it planted. After I finished with the tiller I switched to the brush hog and finished up mowing lanes. I got the tractor stuck when I straddled a large log I didn't see until I was on top of it. Had to walk back to my truck, get a chain saw and cut it out. No biggie just a pita! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Let em Grow, you were right, I went out last night to set a stand downwind of the food plot and it is a carpet of green, looks like the brassica is coming up. Although it doesn't look like its growing much, only 2-3" in a month. I think once it cools down and we get some rain it will get going. I don't think it has rained here in over 2 weeks, Mother nature is trying to make up for the soaking she gave us in July and August! 

• 10 months later...

Got out yesterday and worked up 2 food plots, the round up didn't kill nuch. I should have used a stronger solution. But I disked it up , added some 10-10-10, and planted a mix of forage oats, brassica, and winter peas. Now we need to get some rain. 

IMG_20180818_164910529.jpg

IMG_20180818_144709972.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 2012_taco said:

We haven't been getting much rain all summer, everything passes south and east of us! I just walked out to replace the cards on my trail camera and the 2 food plots are bone dry.

Similar here.  We aren't bone dry, but we are still way below average.  This past week was the first week that I haven't watered my garden all summer.

I wish I could send you some of our rain...Except for one two week spell back in early July. I have been mowing my lawn every 4-5 days all summer...Hoping now that my food plots will dry enough this week so I can finish discing them and get some seed in the ground..

You got it in.......

IF you can get back there in febuary, or nytime in the winter, frost seed some more clover.  About 4lbs an acre.

MY goto is wheat and oats in a good tilled and preped spot.  If till isn't great, I go with oats and rye with clover.

I dress turnips and some clover seed in clover plots this time of year.  Usually right after a weed spraying.  Usually 2lbs of turnips and 4lbs of clover an acre on an existing clover plot.

Ideally, I spray ot kill old stuff.  Then till 2 or 3 day later.  Then a week later if it rained some, till lightly again to kill new weed seed growth.  If it's dry, I wait until I seed something growing  touch.   I'd spread fertilizer and deeper tilled in seed before the 2nd light till.  I then spread clover right on top.  After that, use what you got to roll it in.  Aired up ATV tires (10psi vs 3-5psi), pickup truck, or tractor.

When its wet, you could just mow it down, spread seed, and roll it in with tires.  It would grow.

Edited by sailinghudson25

10 hours ago, sailinghudson25 said:

You got it in.......

IF you can get back there in febuary, or nytime in the winter, frost seed some more clover.  About 4lbs an acre.

MY goto is wheat and oats in a good tilled and preped spot.  If till isn't great, I go with oats and rye with clover.

I dress turnips and some clover seed in clover plots this time of year.  Usually right after a weed spraying.  Usually 2lbs of turnips and 4lbs of clover an acre on an existing clover plot.

Ideally, I spray ot kill old stuff.  Then till 2 or 3 day later.  Then a week later if it rained some, till lightly again to kill new weed seed growth.  If it's dry, I wait until I seed something growing  touch.   I'd spread fertilizer and deeper tilled in seed before the 2nd light till.  I then spread clover right on top.  After that, use what you got to roll it in.  Aired up ATV tires (10psi vs 3-5psi), pickup truck, or tractor.

When its wet, you could just mow it down, spread seed, and roll it in with tires.  It would grow.

I had some clover still growing in the plots and I hated to till it in. i was thinking of going back and just adding some clover but i think I will try to frost seed it in next spring.