Etched buck..

wooly

First time for me trying to engrave glass with my Dremel.

I have NO clue what I'm doing, but I think it turned out alright for making it up as I go.

It looks better the further away you stand from it,lol

Anyone else here ever try this before?

DSC_0003.JPGDSC_0005.JPGDSC_0014.JPG

Edited by wooly
  • Like 24

29 minutes ago, sethf11 said:

Looks awesome. Since custom work that would be awesome with someone's harvest photo or favorite hunting photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like that idea!

I may try that once I figure a few things out.

• Like 3

I'm impressed, my friend. Very nice artwork! I wish I could have found all those dental burrs for you, but I've run out of places to look. :sorry:

7 minutes ago, wooly said:

I like that idea!

Small vignettes in the corner of a piece of glass covering a treasured photograph would be very cool. Great idea, sethf11.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wooly said:

I like that idea!

Guess I shouldn't be surprised that your first glass etching would come out beautiful!!!  Man, the art you create with your endless talent is tuly remarkable. Seems like anything you put your paws on, comes out so cool. If by chance I'm lucky enough to kill a deer this year, or my grandson kills his first. I'll take a bunch of pictures, send them to you, and have you etch one for us. I'll be honored to have such a keepsake. Whatever $ you charge will be more than worth it!  It would be like geting two trophies! Your artwork, and mine or my grandsons deer.

I've had so many people comment on the antler cross my friend. Wear it every day. It's still putting out and receiving the good vibes, more than ever.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ....rob said:

That's pretty dang good for a first try. Looks like you even have some shading and different line weights. Awesome work!
Never tried glass but gave wood burning a shot when I was younger.

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

The shading of the diamond burr lines is one of the things I can't seem to figure out yet.

I guess there's some other blending tips I need to get before I can pull that off the way I want to.

Other than a few obvious goofs this time, I'll eventually get the hang of it by asking lots of smarter people any stupid questions I have,lol

• Like 1

The shading of the diamond burr lines is one of the things I can't seem to figure out yet.
I guess there's some other blending tips I need to get before I can pull that off the way I want to.
Other than a few obvious goofs this time, I'll eventually get the hang of it by asking lots of smarter people any stupid questions I have,lol
Just a tip. To get a grasp on shading and blending, use a pencil on paper. Lift the pencil from full pressure to no pressure on one stroke. This will make the pencil go from dark to light. Plenty of tutorials out there.

5 minutes ago, ....rob said:

Just a tip. To get a grasp on shading and blending, use a pencil on paper. Lift the pencil from full pressure to no pressure on one stroke. This will make the pencil go from dark to light. Plenty of tutorials out there.

The shading is easy to figure out on glass when the picture is taped to the other side and you're tracing it.

It's all about having the right bits, brains, and technique to accomplish it now..... all 3 of which I'm still lacking ,lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wooly said:

I have NO clue what I'm doing, but I think it turned out alright for making it up as I go

Have done a lot of etching over the years and can tell you that the quality of yours is very good. Very difficult to do with a dremel or any type of hand tool. Good Job  :clapping:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Sweeeeeeeet is only word I can come up with. 

Great work as always. Do you ever scrap any attempts and not show us or simply ace every one ? Crazy as every new style or medium you use looks like you've been doing it for years. 

I screw up a lot, but since I'm not much of a perfectionist, and don't do this for a living, I just try to correct them as best I can and make some adjustments on my next piece. For me all this stuff just occupies my mind and I get more satisfaction out of the patience training than anything else. That's been the most valuable benefit for me lately.

If I only showed off perfection, I would never have anything to share.

• Like 4

Man that is a cool looking piece Matt............You ever think of getting into the tattoo business?!?!

On a different but related note, do you have any use for a cigar box of spike horns?  They are from my old buddy who passed away a few years ago.  Back in the old days, many a spiker fell to his weapons.

Maybe you could craft something out of them??

• Like 1