Buck Forage oats

I'm putting in about two acres of oats within the next week....I have always planted just triple washed oats, but am considering spending the extra $$ this season on the  expensive forage type oats...The purpose is for a kill plot for late bow season and rifle season...Are the bags with the deer on them worth the extra money ?

Oats are different .... I dont know about buck forage, but white tail oats  plus are suppose to be more cold hardy...might want to check out their video on them.. I just plant seed oats as a cover for clover and alfalfa plots..they are hitting them some..I have no Idea how hardy they arebut they should provide some assistanceagaibst ground heaving...and other crop damage..we will see.

• Like 1

I love Wades I use to order from them when Mr B was doing the school job there. Yes I know..but may just give you a leg up in t h e spring turkey woods..don't they have clove in them as well?.You should sign up.for their e-mails..they have "specials" they run...right now it's but 3 bags of bow stand get one free with free shipping just under 20 a bag.

It has some other stuff in it..Can't remember what..However I am seeding a clover mix along with it anyway..

Steve  Wade and I went to school together...He dated my sister....We even chased girls together a few times..

The store is  about 200 yards down the street from my house....

I was just chating with one of our daughters friends today at Rivers party ..she's a hunter as well and found out we all know many of the same people from around that area they have land in  the Savonna area. We started listing off names and  we know many of the same people....small world.

• Like 1

Not sure about buck forage but looking at the ingredients on some of the different seeds with deer on them is sad, many have the 2nd or 3rd ingredient as "inert material". I have had such good luck with feed oats that I have never considered anything else. I have found that they love a LOT of fertilizer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used buck forage oats a couple of times with clover and had good results except last years small strip that was consumed by late October. My experiences seem to be that the bfo are like candy to the deer. I have 4 strips along wood edges that are getting bfo and clover this year. There are plenty of ag crops nearby so they get candy from me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have mine in alfalfa and alfalfa clover,also mixed into the shotplot...cams aren't picking up too much usage. Though they aren't planted in the area much..usually just winter grains...though we have an absolute  ton of food around now...even the maples are dropping a ton of seed.

• Like 1

Yesterday I plowed up the 2 acre plot that I had in buckwheat last year...It worked up nice as ground usually does after a crop of buckwheat. I'll be discing it today and hope to get it planted within a week..I have decided to try the forage type oats  accompanied with a clover mix ( Rut-N-Strut)

Yesterday was my first day with my new ( to me)  tractor..It is and International Harvester 60 HP diesel...

WOW  !! What an improvement over my old Ford 9N....It is like comparing a Caddilac  to an old jalopy !!

• Like 5

Go with Whitetail Forage Oats Plus. I always paid the extra because they work. I am not one to plant big buck bags anymore but haven't had the chance to pick apart each seed specifically from this bag. But I am sure if you went to a local ag shop and asked for forage oats or winter oats, winter wheat and winter tritacle you would be satusfied. Regular oats will rot with frost. I know this WI Oats plus will turn surgary with frosts and thrive for most of the winter. Then regrow come spring which is great to nurse clovers.. 

In fact i have pulled a few of these greens that were left in February and ate them myself. Still very sugary tasting! My neighbor planted them side by side with an Agway brand forage oat and didnt notice too much difference in deer preference. But the Whitetail oat stayed a darker green longer into Winter. 

20150926_115345.jpg

Yesterday I plowed up the 2 acre plot that I had in buckwheat last year...It worked up nice as ground usually does after a crop of buckwheat. I'll be discing it today and hope to get it planted within a week..I have decided to try the forage type oats  accompanied with a clover mix ( Rut-N-Strut)
Yesterday was my first day with my new ( to me)  tractor..It is and International Harvester 60 HP diesel...
WOW  !! What an improvement over my old Ford 9N....It is like comparing a Caddilac  to an old jalopy !!
Show us a picture of this new workhorse

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, TACC said:

Show us a picture of this new workhorse

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

I'd love to, but I  am too ignorant to post pictures..

Do a Google search on International Harvester  574 diesel...They gots  LOTS  of pictures there  and you can check out the other specs also..

• Like 1

I went to the feed store today to pick up  my seeds, and DANG IT ! , they only had one 50 pound bag of the forage oats left...

I bought it and two bags of  triple washed oats....I calculated the acreage on my plot and I am planting about 1.5 acres...I hope to get them in the ground this weekend...  I am pondering now whether to seed the forage oats separate ( on 1/3 of the plot) or whether to seed the forage oats and the feed oats  uniformly over the entire plot..

Put them closest to your stand...or right smack dab in the middle

The thing is though they have the seed that will survive the winter and thrive in fall...So unless you plan on over seeding the regular oats with clovers and brassica or buying a bag of WW to mix in ...you'll have some bare spots come late season and spring...You can see my pot pics of mixed greens and what I just mentioned in "Wheres those plots"...The one plot is mainly oats to act as a nurse to the alfalfa and the clover...I added turnips to that...Works well.

Edited by growalot

Thanks for the input, Growie...

I am seeding clover along with the oats....One advantage I thought of  regarding putting them in one area is that I can get a direct comparison of how well they work compared  to the cheaper feed oats..

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1

Id do them separate and the forage oats closer in your favor for sure! The others imo are a waste, i bought them a few years ago when the local seed guy told me they were forage oats and they rotted out after a frost or two. Im going to try and find WW or triticale this weekend. or Forage oats all mixed.. Whatevers cheapest lol If my wife found out how much i spent on seed already this year... id be a dead man lol  

Another reason i forgot about to not like him anymore lol   

• Like 1

I expected my feed oats to die back ...nothing ever serve just one purpose in my plots...mixing them in with other things assures that when they do die back they are there rotting, feeding the soil and the bulbs that are still there to feed the deer late...or to provide that much need cover for the legumes and help crowd out weeds until the brassica are in full leaf...also  they do help in keeping the brassica leafs from getting wiped out over night....If nothing else...just plain ole rotting into the ground makes them worth 12.00. The roots and leafs add to the soil better than a 15.00 bag of fertilizer. If you find triticale in NYS let me know where please.

• Like 1

I planted the oats today...1/2 acre in forage oats and one acre in  feed oats, so I'll get a good, side by side comparison..

I seeded 36 pounds of clover mix  with the oats...Now it would be nice to get a little rain in the next few days..

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I planted the oats today...1/2 acre in forage oats and one acre in  feed oats, so I'll get a good, side by side comparison..

I seeded 36 pounds of clover mix  with the oats...Now it would be nice to get a little rain in the next few days..

I finished the winter wheat / white clover plots at my place today.  I gave up on waiting for my nephew with some soybeans to mix in.  One spot was a little on the wet side when I planted and the cultipacker was not cleaning very well.  The other spot was just right.   I made it over to my folks place for lunch (17 mi away), and the wheat I planted there last Sunday was sprouted and up about 3 inches.   I was happy to see that because what I planted here today was from the same batch of old leftover seed.  Hopefully it will sprout as good here as it did there.   I have never planted oats late like this.  When we planted them for cattle feed it was always early, before the corn.    I have heard that deer like them better than wheat, which I know they like better than rye, having used lots of each.  If we get an early frost, I don't know that I would expect too much action during gun season from oats.  They might do ok during archery season though.