Interesting read on barrel length

moog5050

You will be sacrificing some velocity.  It makes sense that accuracy may improve with a shorter barrel, because the bullets get out sooner.  There is a lower limit on that though, because some length of rifling is necessary to impart a spin on the bullet.  I am guessing that would take about 12 inches in a .308.      

I think I will sight in my new Marlin 336 BL 30/30 on the bench from 75 yards within the next couple weeks.   It will be interesting to see what kind of "precision" I can get out of it from the bench with open sights at that range.   My last 336 had about 4" more barrel length but it also had a 4X scope.

I don't care so much how this one does on the bench, but if it will give me a 6" group offhand at 50 yards or leaning against a tree at 75 yards, then I will be very happy with it.  I could probably live with 12" in each case (but so might the deer).  

I really am not looking for too much "precision" from this gun, but I am looking for something that is easy to carry thru thick cover and that won't be hindered by rain, sleet and snow.    That short barrel and open sights should open up a whole new world in those areas.        

Nothing is free, there is a loss in velocity although much smaller than many thing and there is more noise and muzzle flash. Of all the deer I have killed with a rifle the longest barrel I have ever killed a deer with was 22" and that was on a Winchester 94 30-30. Everything else is under 19". A 30-06 with a 18" barrel is a ballistic twin to a 308 with a 22" barrel a 270 with an 18" barrel is a ballistic twin to a 7mm-08 with a 22" barrel with the same bullet weight. There isn't a deer in the world that will know the difference. But you sure will totin the gun around all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The theory that a longer barrel is more accurate than a shorter barrel goes back to the days when nearly everyone was using open sights..

A longer sight radius allows for more precise  shooting... With optical sights the  shorter barrel ceases to be an issue. as far as accuracy is concerned..

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

The theory that a longer barrel is more accurate than a shorter barrel goes back to the days when nearly everyone was using open sights..

A longer sight radius allows for more precise  shooting... With optical sights the  shorter barrel ceases to be an issue. as far as accuracy is concerned..

Did not know that.  So cool to have hunters of your vintage, eh I meant experience Pygmy!

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Pygmy said:

I know you aren't a fan of those ugly single shots but on a Thompson Center page I am on, it is amazing the accuracy some of the guys are getting out of really short barrels. Several are running barrels in the 16-1/4" (to avoid the short barreled rifle issue). I have been watching several threads of barrels that were not very accurate in a longer form but were shortened to find their sweet spot.  I have been reading a lot about the stiffness increase of a shorter barrel in comparison to a longer. Interesting stuff. 

• Like 1

Hehehehe...Nope, TC Contender/Encore  is not my favorite firearm because I consider them ugly as a side order of s**t...

I do like many single shots, however..The Ruger # 1 is a thing of beauty...So is the Sharps...

I think Winchester Hi walls are very cool, as are Remington Rolling blocks..

I even admire Trapdoor Springfields , but that may be because I saw them in so many John Ford westerns..

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Shorter barrels are often more accurate, as minor differences in length are not a big factor regarding accuracy when all other variables are accounted for, but will give up some velocity.  One thing mentioned I think needs to be addressed though.  Going with a .30-06 with an 18" barrel, rather than a .308 with a 22" barrel will not save a lot of weight, or even that much length, as the .30-06 is a long action vs the .308's short action.  The barrel is 4" less, but the overall length of the rifle will only be about 2.5 inches less in many cases.

If you go with a short barrel for ease of handling, a short action, or even a single shot action, will maximize the benefit of the short barrel.

A loss of a little velocity is not much of a concern for shots less than 300 yards, but muzzle blast and less aiming stability are.  Short barrels do best when fired from a solid bench rest with ear plugs in place.  In the field they are quick and nimble, but can be harder to steady on target for long shots, especially if you've been pumping up your heart rate while running uphill to get a shot at a deer.  Light and nimble is harder to steady under those conditions, and a nice steady rest isn't always available for a quick shot in the woods.

Muzzle blast is a concern if you shoot the rifle a lot while hunting without ear plugs, especially if a tree happens to be just off to the side and in front of the muzzle when you shoot.  That blast sound will be directed back at your ears with extreme prejudice.  The same can happen with a 22" barrel, but it is worse with an 18" barrel.  I have experienced this first hand and it interfered with my hearing for a couple of minutes.  Muzzle blast has also been known to cause flinching, which is bad for accuracy as well.

Rifles that are light and nimble have advantages, but be aware of the disadvantages too.

Shorter barrels are often more accurate, as minor differences in length are not a big factor regarding accuracy when all other variables are accounted for, but will give up some velocity.  One thing mentioned I think needs to be addressed though.  Going with a .30-06 with an 18" barrel, rather than a .308 with a 22" barrel will not save a lot of weight, or even that much length, as the .30-06 is a long action vs the .308's short action.  The barrel is 4" less, but the overall length of the rifle will only be about 2.5 inches less in many cases.
If you go with a short barrel for ease of handling, a short action, or even a single shot action, will maximize the benefit of the short barrel.
A loss of a little velocity is not much of a concern for shots less than 300 yards, but muzzle blast and less aiming stability are.  Short barrels do best when fired from a solid bench rest with ear plugs in place.  In the field they are quick and nimble, but can be harder to steady on target for long shots, especially if you've been pumping up your heart rate while running uphill to get a shot at a deer.  Light and nimble is harder to steady under those conditions, and a nice steady rest isn't always available for a quick shot in the woods.
Muzzle blast is a concern if you shoot the rifle a lot while hunting without ear plugs, especially if a tree happens to be just off to the side and in front of the muzzle when you shoot.  That blast sound will be directed back at your ears with extreme prejudice.  The same can happen with a 22" barrel, but it is worse with an 18" barrel.  I have experienced this first hand and it interfered with my hearing for a couple of minutes.  Muzzle blast has also been known to cause flinching, which is bad for accuracy as well.
Rifles that are light and nimble have advantages, but be aware of the disadvantages too.

It's no secret but I'll take short and light every time, the odd ball is a Remington model six low serial number low production that I haven't had the codds to make normal yet.f62de6d51e8f454d03ab74758913b60a.jpg

• Like 1

I'm of the opinion that cutting a barrel to lessen the rifle's weight, is the least favorable way to do it.  I feel short barreled rifles are for short range work.  But that's just my opinion.  For open country I much prefer a barrel 22" or more.  I've owned single shots with 26" barrels that were no longer overall than many 22" barreled rifles.  Many rifles with longer barrels will weigh less than rifles with short barrels too.  One has to consider the totality of the tool we call a rifle, when deciding on it's ability to do a job.  Your's are working for you.  Mine are working for me.  It's all good.

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 5:22 PM, moog5050 said:

I like short barrels because they are easier to move through the woods and most of my shots are closer range.  But I always thought I was sacrificing accuracy.  Maybe not:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.wideopenspaces.com/the-truth-about-barrel-length-muzzle-velocity-and-accuracy/amp/

barrel length has zip to do with accuracy,  our MOA handgun matches in sundance are shot at 500, 750, and 1,000 yards with handguns, can't get much shorter rifle barrels than handgun length.

as for rests with short barreled rifles, you have a sling on your rifle??

then you have a rest....walking stick, hiking pole, tree, fence, pair of tree limbs laying on the ground...don't ever discard basic rifle skills because you have a fancy modern toy.

the weight issue is another flash in the pan, when guiding people they'd be following me into kit fox or Lydia and they'd be talking about their ultralight hiking boots and how they took the labels out of their clothes( #$@T you not), and how they had cut the handles off their toothbrushes...meanwhile I have a full packbasket with a watermelon in it and a 14 foot rowboat on my head and their ripping labels out of their shirts? ....

go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here. ;)

Edited by slickrockpack

I'm of the opinion that cutting a barrel to lessen the rifle's weight, is the least favorable way to do it.  I feel short barreled rifles are for short range work.  But that's just my opinion.  For open country I much prefer a barrel 22" or more.  I've owned single shots with 26" barrels that were no longer overall than many 22" barreled rifles.  Many rifles with longer barrels will weigh less than rifles with short barrels too.  One has to consider the totality of the tool we call a rifle, when deciding on it's ability to do a job.  Your's are working for you.  Mine are working for me.  It's all good.

You bring up a great point with single shots, Im a bit of a single shot nut and probably own around 15 single shot centerfires. The problem with single shots when looking for a short gun is that usually when you're looking for a short gun it's because you're still hunting/tracking. Those are the times when a quick follow up is often needed most. On the rare occasion when I'm stand hunting around e house more than likely I have a single shot in my hands and most likely it is 35cal or larger.

• 2 months later...
On 9/10/2017 at 12:12 PM, Rattler said:

^ what he said +1