Macy's day parade

growalot

So has anyone been? How crazy does it get there? What hotel would you book months in advance, where would you have TG Dinner? Never been to NYC. Still not sure, I have a year to convince Mr B who hhmmm...lets say emphatically said no! Though his nieces Texas color guard was chosen to be in the 2018 parade and his entire  family will be there from Texas. They want to gather there for Thanks Giving and meet River. No time to travel North to us for a visit. I Hate crowds but think it would be fun. Thinking taking the train wouldbe the smartest way to go? Or a quick flight?

Edited by growalot

I was in NY city once and swore I would never go back. I saw more wackos in the few hrs. I was there than I have seen anywhere else. No offense to the people that live there but it definitely is not the place for me.

Just like everywhere else it probably depends on where you go...and I was definitely in the wrong place. :negative:

54 minutes ago, growalot said:

So has anyone been? How crazy does it get there? What hotel would you book months in advance, where would you have TG Dinner? Never been to NYC. Still not sure, I have a year to convince Mr B who hhmmm...lets say emphatically said no! Though his nieces Texas color guard was chosen to be in the 2018 parade and his entire  family will be there from Texas. They want to gather there for Thanks Giving and meet River. No time to travel North to us for a visit. I Hate crowds but think it would be fun. Thinking taking the train wouldbe the smartest way to go? Or a quick flight?

The atmosphere and people are great.  I have been there countless times and have always found it to be a good time.  Numerous restaurants offer a TG themed dinner.  I would go through a website like hotels.com in order to find something that is close to the subway which can bring you right to the parade route.  If I can help you as it gets closer, please PM me and I will provide you with any information I can.  There is so much to see and do in the city that time of year.  

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, growalot said:

Take River to them in Texas. 

In the winter......... :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigGuyNY said:

The atmosphere and people are great.  I have been there countless times and have always found it to be a good time.  Numerous restaurants offer a TG themed dinner.  I would go through a website like hotels.com in order to find something that is close to the subway which can bring you right to the parade route.  If I can help you as it gets closer, please PM me and I will provide you with any information I can.  There is so much to see and do in the city that time of year.  

+1......lots of good stuff to take in but I'm as comfortable in a city as woods.

Train for sure.

I'd suggest American Museum of Natural History to add if you are overnighting anyway. 

• Like 1

One of my colleagues from work goes every year for the parade.  He brings the family and they enjoy it.  But he lived in the city for several years and uses his sisters apartment when visiting.  Not my thing but he likes it.  Great restaurants for sure.  I only go when necessary but always enjoy the meals. 

Edited by moog5050

I'm thinking that our sister in law will have to go with some of the organizations recommendations...to keep the kids close...I would also think we would be in some what of a tag along for they would have more access to the actual parade preparations as far as the girls having to be at a specific place.

With the families all coming along to such a thing from all over the country, perhaps they would have a specific area for them all to watch from?...I suppose that's how I would handle it if in charge...lol probably hoping for too much ...

I'm not into parades.  Seriously, I've spent pretty much all my life in the city and I've only been to 2 parades.  When Eli Manning won his first super bowl and the Mermaid Parade in Coney Island.  Add in the fact the Thanksgiving is the time I sleep in, it means I've never been to the Macy's parade.  As far as things to do, there is a ton of things to do in the city.  The real question is what are you into?

Iam Not a city person but there is so much to see and do. Top of the Rock at night, Times Square, Broadway show Rockafeller Center and much more the list could go on  and on. Do your homework and the train is the way to go.

I'm always surprised when I hear that people who live a few hours away from NYC have never been there. It is a world-class city filled with culture, history and great food, and one that has to be experienced at least once.

Do not stay in Times Square.

The time between Thanksgiving and Christmas is probably the city at its most magical. The shops pull out all the holiday stops and if you have little kids, the Santa at ABC Home may well be the actual Santa. 

Here's a helpful video for first timers.

Bonus tip:

• Like 1

Speaking only for myself, NYC has nothing that appeals to me more, than sitting in my own woods on Thanksgiving morning, hoping a deer comes by. And thinking of all the wonderful smells that will greet me when I get home. Sharing the warmth of a fire with family, before and after the wonderful dinner. Though I have enjoyed watching the parade on TV a time or two, when I was tagged out by then!

I've been to NYC many, many times for many different things. But was always more than happy to leave the hustle and bustle, to head home to my quiet rural home. I just know, I would wither and die if I lived in ANY city.

• Like 2

We went  a few years ago when my daughter marched in the parade with her high school band.  It was a lot of fun and it would be okay to do it again.  It is crowded, but not really too bad if you just take your time and arrive early.  We were up on 60th Street or so and had great views of everything happening.  If you have never been to NYC you definitely should go.  Just the museums are worth the trip.  And Berretta has a really nice store there too!

• Like 1

I worked at Macy's for a couple years. We had the option of marching in the parade but had to be there at 5am and freeze until it started. That was a hard pass from me lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Were you a " cologne / perfume spritzer " ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk