I think I have an orphaned fawn

Water Rat

Yesterday I noticed the turkeys giving alarm putts towards the overgrown flowerbed in my back yard. Upon inspection , I noticed a little fawn hiding in there. It came out briefly to walk around and then walked under my deck. It then went back to bed down in the same area. I never saw the doe anywhere , but that's not to say she wasn't around. I just looked and he's back in there. I haven't seen any dead deer in the neighborhood  , but the doe could have staggered off somewhere to die if it was hit by a car. I don't think it was abandoned , as it appears healthy. I'm guessing the doe is dead. Judging from the photo's , do you think it is still nursing and needs the doe or do you think it will survive on it's own ? Why does this shit have to happen to me ?IMG_1313.JPGIMG_1328.JPGIMG_1321.JPGIMG_1324.JPGIMG_1326.JPGIMG_1327.JPG

Fawns tend to get super frisky, running around like mad and get separated from their mama. I've worried about this after getting videos of lone fawns wandering around aimlessly & seemingly lost. They do tend to get reunited, eventually! Not to say this one hasn't actually lost his/her mama. 

4 hours ago, TACC said:

That fawn was a late drop if it still has spots this late, all the fawns in my neck of the woods have outgrown their spots already. I'm thinking the momma may have been hit by as car or something.

Sent from my 9006W using Tapatalk

I still have spots on fawns on my cams.

That little one looks plenty big enough to me to make it on its own even if it is an orphan.

A lot of the doe around here stash their fawns extremely close to backyards and houses every year. It doesn't seem normal to us looking at all the available "big woods" left for them to hide them in, but I'm convinced they do this due to the lesser level of predators that hang around these areas. That one looks like it's up and moving around on it's own now, and probably just prefers the security and peacefulness it's learned to appreciate over a life in the timber amongst the real predators.

• Like 3