Coyote Population Seems High

Lawdwaz

Maybe it's just a co-inkydink but there sure seems to be a lot of them around, more than most years I think. I've even had video of doe and fawns running by my cameras then the next video is of a coyote or two walking through, only a minute later via the on screen clock.

I wouldn't be surprised if I get a crack at one this fall...........

• Like 5

We've had four struck by lightning in broad daylight this summer. One after killing a chicken. Usually only have one or two a summer meet that fate. And they are sounding off almost every night too. Along with more than normal cam pic's as well. The deer numbers have been up over the last couple of years, so perhaps that coincides with the increased coyote numbers? 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, grampy said:

We've had four struck by lightning in broad daylight this summer. One after killing a chicken. Usually only have one or two a summer meet that fate. And they are sounding off almost every night too. Along with more than normal cam pic's as well. The deer numbers have been up over the last couple of years, so perhaps that coincides with the increased coyote numbers? 

Wow, what are the chances.  Wouldn't want to be a yote in your area with that weather and all.

• Like 2

I had a series of trail cam pics over the winter.  1st pic with deer running by, the next few pics with coyotes hunting together.  They must test the deer looking for a weak one.  I pulled a card from out just a few hundred feet behind my house here and had a daytime picture of a coyote.  The rabbits are thick around my house so I'm the yotes come by to pick some off the fringes.

• Like 1

Seem fine by my house, maybe even less than normal. Also have an increase in Fisher and Fox and I am sure they compete for food sources.

Edit to add that is with us having over 100 poultry at the moment, typically we see critters in the yard in day light looking for a snack. So far zero occurances.

Edited by Doewhacker

13 minutes ago, wooly said:

Coyotes will eat old people and babies when they can't get enough fawns in their diet.

haha.... they've put some down out this way just this year because they were getting too bold for their own good, harassing or attacking people.  nobody was eaten to form the decision but i wouldn't exactly shoo one away if my 3 yr old daughter was walking with me.  i'd use a more "sure fire solution".

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

haha.... they've put some down out this way just this year because they were getting too bold for their own good, harassing or attacking people.  nobody was eaten to form the decision but i wouldn't exactly shoo one away if my 3 yr old daughter was walking with me.  i'd use a more "sure fire solution".

One, last week. That's the only one I know of.

3 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

One, last week. That's the only one I know of.

only one ive seen on the news was that one in fort edward.  one other earlier in the summer south of there.  all the others have been people sharing stuff on social media, usually followed by the "sad, i wish someone could come relocate them".  if it's a friend i just tell them to haze and harass them so they don't get used to hanging around.  almost all the cases discharging a gun would leave you worse off than it attacking probably.

7 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

only one ive seen on the news was that one in fort edward.  one other earlier in the summer south of there.  all the others have been people sharing stuff on social media, usually followed by the "sad, i wish someone could come relocate them".  if it's a friend i just tell them to haze and harass them so they don't get used to hanging around.  almost all the cases discharging a gun would leave you worse off than it attacking probably.

I die when I read the comments like that, how about the "Wild animal" that was in Albany last week that was only a cat shaved to look like a lion. Unreal but true.

http://news10.com/2017/08/19/potential-wild-animal-near-buckingham-pond-in-albany/

• Like 1

Comments like that remind me that the more people I'm around the more I realize I don't like people! I can't social media anymore because of all the stupidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

I die when I read the comments like that, how about the "Wild animal" that was in Albany last week that was only a cat shaved to look like a lion. Unreal but true.

http://news10.com/2017/08/19/potential-wild-animal-near-buckingham-pond-in-albany/

yea that's like the mountain lion crap.  stuff i've seen on social media seemed legit and definitely yotes.  just came across a couple filmed mid day keeping someone in their car.  didn't seem overly aggressive but too curious and persistent for their comfort. i believe it was in loudonville.

The last couple years we had a big coyote problem. But after running dogs and calling them in and killing them as much as our lives would let us the hunt last 2 years, I have only gotten a picture or 2 of coyotes. In the 2015 archery season, between my neighbor and i we killed 5 coyotes with our bows opening week! 

• Like 1

multiple groups around here run dogs the day after deer season and they're pretty sufficient.  they do a good job at thinning them out.  properties are small here in NY, so it's difficult to be as productive by sitting in a spot and call them in.  home ranges are too big.  running dogs can cover a lot of ground.  my best year with moderate effort was only a handful of yotes dead.  each group around here that run dogs ends up getting around 20-30 by season end.