Changing an old compound into a recurve

Yeah, I had no idea it was possible either.  This is NOT a true DIY since I am hiring much of this and also relying on another member here for assistance. Well here is the backstory.  I have an old Darton 600WX that was my Father's compound  that he bought new in 1987. The only bow he ever used and he never took a deer with it. I think it was just an excuse to get into the woods earlier with me since I was already bow hunting.  Dad was 5'9" and had a draw length of about 27". I am 6'-4" and have a DL of 30-1/2 to 31".  When he passed away two years ago I brought his bow home with me. Even with all the modules for the cams it wouldn't make my length and an old bow like that is of little value other than sentiment. The one thing it had going for it was a beautiful laminated wood riser. SO there it sat.

Fast forward to a conversation I was having here with Moog5050 about the bow and also about wanting to get into traditional shooting. Well he tossed out the word "Warf'd" and I thought we were going to be talking Star Trek. Turns out  it is a process that some are using to modify certain old compound risers to accept ILF recurve limbs.  (International Limb Fittings). Moog suggested a forum and I started reading. It became evident that this was something I didn't want to try with Dad's bow and screw it up. I think I could have easily pulled it off but was not worth the risk with his riser. At Moog's recommendation there were two folks on the forum that were the guru's of the warfing. I was able to contact one of them. Gave him some dimensions and the bow model. Sent him a few pics and at this point I could not find any info on the internet where this had been done on that bow specifically.  Well he felt it would work and he could make the modifications and install the ILF hardware.  I sent it out last week and it is already back in my hands. We waited until we got the finished riser dimensions before addressing the limbs. 

The following pictures are how the riser was prior to the start of the project. 

$_1.JPG

600wx.jpg

600wx-2.JPG

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

10 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

It is shaping up better than I hoped. 

What an awesome project!! Holy smokes, how cool would it be to take a deer with dads "old bow"! What size limbs are you putting on, what poundage and draw length will it be? The riser looks beautiful! I'm hoping to get back in to traditional archery again, perhaps over the winter. This looks really cool!

moog5050 has been a great source of info for me as well, when it comes to the trad archery stuff. He's given me ideas that may work with my old shoulders. Great guy that moog!

3 minutes ago, grampy said:

What an awesome project!! Holy smokes, how cool would it be to take a deer with dads "old bow"! What size limbs are you putting on, what poundage and draw length will it be? The riser looks beautiful! I'm hoping to get back in to traditional archery again, perhaps over the winter. This looks really cool!

moog5050 has been a great source of info for me as well, when it comes to the trad archery stuff. He's given me ideas that may work with my old shoulders. Great guy that moog!

I ordered light limbs that I won't be hunting with. I have a lot of practice to do to get my form were I want it. I ordered a cheap practice limb. 

http://www.3riversarchery.com/sf-archery-axiom-limbs.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwrO_MBRBxEiwAYJnDLD1HNJCv8K29nGYWig7UXJ5w-F8aWQWH8BuauXzGf8xDD_svkrzZ1hoCFLQQAvD_BwE

I got these in Long and 28#. Should give me a 64" bow and at my DL, Moog thinks I should be pulling around 35# to 36# with these. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

So, is this a cost efficient way to get a recurve? What do the numbers say?

As you are well away, recurves can cost as little as $150 for a starter and exceed $2000 for a high end custom.  This is an ILF riser, which can be paired with limbs also running from $100-900.  That said, the cost of warfing an older compound (if its a suitable candidate) is pretty reasonable (usually around $60-70 if you have the compound already and it needs to be milled plus shipping - you can even find plates on ebay for around $30 for some old compound risers like a black bear) and then you add the costs of the limbs ($100 for decent limbs and for $150 you can get trad tech black max limbs  that many many people use for hunting).  It might cost a bit more than a $150 starter recurve like a samick, but is much more versatile.  IMO, its a great way to get higher end results without the higher end price tag.  And you can change to higher end limbs or different weight or length limbs down the road.  Also, unlike a starter bolt down, with a warf, you can change tiller and poundage to some degree.

You can have a complete warf for around $200 (or less if you find used limbs) depending on the limbs selected.  Add a string from our resident string maker Steve B (mountain muffler strings - the best), a $5 bear weatherest, and you are ready to shoot.   I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with my daughter's warf and all in, it cost about $200 - and I can actually use her bow by just adding a different set of limbs that cost me $80 used.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2017 at 9:49 AM, grampy said:

Grampy, The long limbs I purchased were 28# at 28"DL. Bow is strung with a 61" string and a brace height I think is at 8".  Moog put in on the scale but becasue of the crank it was hard to get a good reading all the way drawn. I think it was at 38# and still needed to be cranked up another inch or so. He seemed to think it was going to be upwards of 40# at my draw length.  I am wrestling with the idea of carrying it this year or not. I have some very tight cover that I like to bow hunt  and if I can get proficient to 20 yards it could work well in there. I think it will be a game day decision..lol

• Like 1

As long as you feel comfortable with it, go for it this season! Especially in that tight cover. Man, if it shoots half as sweet as it looks, you have one heck of a nice bow right there! Wishing you the best of luck with that beauty! 

18 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I am wrestling with the idea of carrying it this year or not. I have some very tight cover that I like to bow hunt  and if I can get proficient to 20 yards it could work well in there. I think it will be a game day decision..lol

It came out real nice and whether you hunt with it or not you still can enjoy shooting it and the best part you have given new life to your Dad's old bow.

Al

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, grampy said:

As long as you feel comfortable with it, go for it this season! Especially in that tight cover. Man, if it shoots half as sweet as it looks, you have one heck of a nice bow right there! Wishing you the best of luck with that beauty! 

It's doing well when I do may part...lol. the black target were the first arrows at 10 yards (third arrow went through a shot out part near the bull) . The orange was the last arrows at 15. I am all set up in the back yard now so I am just going to shoot 15 arrows each and every night when I get home. man it is a whole lot different drawing this compared to my compound. 

IMG_0595.JPG

IMG_0596.JPG

• Like 2

Figured I would chronically my progress here rather than balling up the first shot thread with all of this.  I walked out and made one shot at 15. then shot a few rounds at 15. Was going well so I backed up to 20. Was actually quite pleased with the 20 yard shots. I shot 31 arrows total and called it good. It is starting to feel a bit smoother in draw and release. It? I guess I meant me...lol.  This sideways pic stuff sucks...lol

shot one  15.JPG

I get my anchor consistent and feel like my DL is pretty consistent but I feel like I am struggling with where my shootign eye is. When I shoot my compound it is Fletcher to corner of mouth, nose against string and my eye lines up with the peep. never an issue. I did really notice last night at 20 yards it make a difference if my sight line is one side of the string or the other. if that makes sense. 

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Culver

Try lining up string blur with the inside edge of the riser (or whatever part of the riser seems natural - some use middle or outside edge) for consistency.  Good shooting!   Good to see those arrows entering the block straight and near the bullseye.  

They seem to be flying very well and still penetrate the block well out at 20

• 1 year later...

Thought I would update this thread even though it is old. That way if someone wanted to see how the limbs looked before they could. I didn't want the high gloss limbs since I was hunting with the recurve only this year. So I put the 400 grit paper to them and did  a camo paint hydro dip. first limb had a bit too much texture becasue I think I put too much paint in the tub. The second one was much smoother. Going to hit them with some fine sand paper and then put on a clear matte finish. 

IMG_1916.JPG

IMG_1917.JPG

IMG_1915.JPG

• Like 5