Changing an old compound into a recurve

I got 6 coats of matte clear coat on them and mounted them up. I have 100 arrows through it since then and no cracking. So, these should get me through the season. Here's a few pics of them mounted up.  (and the broadheads I will be shooting. or should I call them anvils at that weight..lol. I can't wrap my head around that heavy but that's the weight of the field tips). I was going to try all instinctive but just don't have the confidence yet in my ability. Running one pin for 20 yards. 

58853139396__8975B3DE-56D8-4791-9AD3-8AA188902775.JPG

IMG_1934.JPG

IMG_1935.JPG

IMG_1936.JPG

• Like 4

I got 6 coats of matte clear coat on them and mounted them up. I have 100 arrows through it since then and no cracking. So, these should get me through the season. Here's a few pics of them mounted up.  (and the broadheads I will be shooting. or should I call them anvils at that weight..lol. I can't wrap my head around that heavy but that's the weight of the field tips). I was going to try all instinctive but just don't have the confidence yet in my ability. Running one pin for 20 yards. 
58853139396__8975B3DE-56D8-4791-9AD3-8AA188902775.thumb.JPG.f060d2a24ea720ac666ff8f9369a392a.JPG
IMG_1934.thumb.JPG.622336cb0ef93db126c4c84087189595.JPG
IMG_1935.thumb.JPG.96d652c809f443130a2885b8b8ef491a.JPG
IMG_1936.thumb.JPG.a982d5e4876eebecda5228c1ba3ff1d6.JPG
Think the old man would be quite proud! And definitely even more proud when you smoke your first deer with it!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Looks much better than the original finish on those limbs and trust in those heads.  They will do a number on your deer for sure!  I am still trying to decide whether to use the 2 or 3 blade 300g this year.  Probably go with 3 blade.

I tend to always go for the odd number of blades (one reason it took me so long to try Rage). At my bow hunter's safety course many many moons ago  the instructor had two wood picture flames with a ton of nails coming out off the face of the frame. There were so many rubber bands stretched across the frame in all different directions that it had to be 1/4" thick over both of the frames. A big layer of stretched rubber. Through one frame he shot a 2 blade broad head. Rubber bands were cut and took off flying.  Through the second frame he shot a 3 blade of same weight and cutting diameter.  The rubber bands flew everywhere. WAY more bands cut than with the 2 blade. His demonstration and point he was making, was a 2 blade can slice between muscle fibers and not cut them. on a 3 blade, even if one blade does slide between fibers the other 2 cut the same fiber. Yielding better blood trails. I have NO idea if that is right or wrong but the rubber bands sure seem to show it. Granted the deer doesn't usually die from cut muscle but without the cut muscle the blood has a hard time gettign out and onto the ground. That was why I picked the 3 blade out of the ones you recommended. 

13 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I tend to always go for the odd number of blades (one reason it took me so long to try Rage). At my bow hunter's safety course many many moons ago  the instructor had two wood picture flames with a ton of nails coming out off the face of the frame. There were so many rubber bands stretched across the frame in all different directions that it had to be 1/4" thick over both of the frames. A big layer of stretched rubber. Through one frame he shot a 2 blade broad head. Rubber bands were cut and took off flying.  Through the second frame he shot a 3 blade of same weight and cutting diameter.  The rubber bands flew everywhere. WAY more bands cut than with the 2 blade. His demonstration and point he was making, was a 2 blade can slice between muscle fibers and not cut them. on a 3 blade, even if one blade does slide between fibers the other 2 cut the same fiber. Yielding better blood trails. I have NO idea if that is right or wrong but the rubber bands sure seem to show it. Granted the deer doesn't usually die from cut muscle but without the cut muscle the blood has a hard time gettign out and onto the ground. That was why I picked the 3 blade out of the ones you recommended. 

I typically used 2 blade with the recurve in the past but used a 3 blade VPA last season and the doe went down 20yds from stand so it was a pretty good first result.  lol  Not sure about blood trail because I didn't need to track.  The 2 blade blood trails are OK but nothing like was I was accustomed too with the mechanicals from the compound.

3 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

So one pin with no peep, anchor is critical?

Consistency (anchor among other things) with a trad bow is always critical.  A change of finger pressure can change the shot dramatically.  Most people that shoot trad come to realize that aiming is not the hardest part for accuracy.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Ive got my Dads old bear recurve. He never took a deer with it, someday I will try. Its 55# so I need a much lighter bow to learn with

At your DL, I suspect you will want a longer and lighter bow.  Bob's bow at low 40lbs slings an arrow like a 60lber due to his huge DL.

• 1 month later...

Well time for an update. 

@moog5050 invited me to his property that we put the food plot in on. I had decided that I was suspending my 3.5 year old goal for bucks on this first year with the recurve. I wanted to take a legal deer that was not a fawn. He assured me that he had one tied up to a tree and ready for me. He delivered. 

I want to start out saying that I really underestimated how much my practice didn't really mimic true hunting situations enough. The more primitive the weapon the more the little things really matter.  Things I didn't really have to think about with my really fast and accurate modern compound effected my hunts this weekend. 

Friday morning I met Moog and we headed into the property. I made it in VERY dark woods to the stand. I am use to very spacious ladder stands and Moog tends to favor the ones with a postage stamp foot platform...lol.  SO I get up in and locked in with my harness. (I didn't practice with my harness attached to a tree---impact #1). It's too dark to range anything at this point and I have never hunted on this property before so in this tree was really new. (impact#2) I felt I could make a good shot out to 20 yards. Moog set me in a stand where he felt the movement would likely put them in that window for me. He was right. 

At  about 730 I notice a flash of movement over my left shoulder up the hill and coming my way. It not only was a doe but the beautiful piebald doe that we had  numerous sightings on the property.  She was on a trail that would bring her by me at about 7 yards to my left (right hand shooter). At about 15 yards she went behind a tree and I grabbed my bow, stood and turned to her. At about 10 yards when she went behind the next tree I drew the bow. She stepped out and at 7 yards stopped and looked away from me broadside.  I settled the pin behind her shoulder and I just couldn't do it. I had talked for the last couple weeks about wanting to take her and joking with Moog about him saying he would pass. But I just couldn't do it.  I let the draw down and I think she say a bit of that movement and she turned and walked up the hill, turning to identify what she saw. A couple stomps and a short and walked off. I am not sure if Moog shared a pic of her but she is the most beautiful and unique deer I have ever seen. 

I saw a couple other deer over the next hour but way off and unidentifiable. Then at about 8:15 I saw movement on the main mowed trail coming my way.  I could see antlers and new it was either a spike or a small 4 pointer. He stayed on the trail all the way to about 10--12 yards and passed behind a tree.  he stopped. When he started to walk again I drew and he stopped again behind a single pine bough. He is now on my right side so I had to turn at the waist and now my right drawing arm is hitting my harness attachment line. At that point I was missing the let off of a compound..lol.  He took two steps and I settled in and released.   I would guess at 12-15 yards. He honestly spun so fast I did not see the impact but as he ran off I could see quite a bit of arrow sticking out of his right side. (the impact side).  That made me nervous and the arrow did look good for height but it looked like it was in on a weird angle.  I sat down and text Moog. My knees were jelly like I had just shot a Pope and Young buck. We waited a while and continued to hunt. I then made my way out to Moog and we went to lunch and set a new stand to kill some time. Then went in to look for the buck. This would have been about Noon, we tried to pick up a blood trail and during that first 150 yards Moog saw a deer trying to walk up a hill very labored. In the process of trying to find a blood trail we bumped him. We marked the blood and backed out.  We  climbed into the stands for the evening hunt. We saw some pretty good deer movement and it started at 1:30 until dark.  Back to the blood trail.  Best I can guess we tracked about .25 to .35 of a mile. leapfrogging and losing a trail a few times.  Came across him dead. Based on his temp and how stiff he was, he probably went down shortly after we bumped him.

(Impact #3). the arrow was so slow compared to what I was use to shooting out of my compound, I honestly think the deer saw something and started to spin away on the release. He was perfectly broadside when I released and the arrow hit behind the last rib on his right side. I know it wasn't my aim becasue the arrow path was clearly at a sharp angle towards his left shoulder. Ended up as a gut and liver shot.  NOT my finest hour for sure. Had to drag him to the next nearest road and call for a ride. (another .3 mile) Oh. Forgot the mention the about 150'  near vertical hill we had to drag this deer up to get him out. Thank goodness for Moog Or I would have had a heart attack. 

Thank you Moog for all your help in getting me my first traditional deer. Unfortunately I don't even have a pic of me and the deer. We were in the "let's get this damned thing out of here after a long day" mode.

Went to another property with Moog on Saturday for an evening hunt after we butchered my buck. About an hour after getting into the stand I had a doe come across on my right side. (see impact #1 above AGAIN...lol). she stepped into an opening I had ranged and she was going to be at 20 yards. I had about a 12" alley to get the arrow to her and I released it. She was a huge doe. She still is. The underhand softball arc of my arrow was not what I was use to with my compound (impact #4). I hit an over hanging branch that I didn't believe was an issue. The arrow impacted right between her legs int he ground. 

I had a great time, achieved a goal, learned some good lessons and spent some great time hunting with good friends. It was a win all around, except for the trip I am making to the doctor's this afternoon to get the tick head in my neck taken out. I got bit. It was hot Saturday so I did not put my Rynoskin on and to be honest I probably wouldn't have had my head mask on anyway. (Impact #5) Gear doesn't work when you leave it at home...lol Buddy used the Tick Key on it and the head is still in there. 

• Like 15

12 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

You got it done on your first deer with your father's converted recurve!  That is an accomplishment for sure!  By the way, I measured the track a bit longer.  lol

I was being conservative and used strain line distance.  It felt like 12 hours and 10 miles while we were doing it. 

16 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

That is REALLY cool! Well done guys! How the heck do you not get a single picture?!?!?!?!

Moog may have one of the deer in the dark by itself. I have no idea where my head was. Well. yes I do. Cranial rectumitis. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Haha 1

What a great conclusion to a great story of your Dad's old bow. I'm sure he was with you all day Bob, with a big smile on his face. Congratulations on getting it done with a trad bow! Never an easy task! Great job, and a super accomplishment my friend!

Brian is one of the most unselfish people I know. Always willing to help with bows, and set ups, trad or compound. Also, to share the bounty of his spectacular hunting properties with friends. Not many would do this to the extent that moog does.

You two made a great team on that tough recovery! I've heard some of the details. Not many would have, pulled that off successfully like you guys did. My hat is off to you both.

• Like 1