Changing an old compound into a recurve

4 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

She looks like she might have a little zebra mixed in with her! LOL

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

She is a big doe too.  Long ugly face that only a mother could love. Definitely has some brindle to her coat.   And 9 lives so far. 

• Like 2

congrats again on the spike bob. i think it's probably not the last with that bow. i only use a rope style treestrap with prusik knot. another thing i've figured out is even with bending at the waist it seems more awkward shooting a trad bow from a treestand vs a compound. you're used to practicing from the ground which is a bit different.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

congrats again on the spike bob. i think it's probably not the last with that bow. i only use a rope style treestrap with prusik knot. another thing i've figured out is even with bending at the waist it seems more awkward shooting a trad bow from a treestand vs a compound. you're used to practicing from the ground which is a bit different.

Back to my regularly scheduled program with the waiting on a 3.5 year old buck. I know nobody here knew my Dad but when he grew up it was any horn they could see. To his last season he'd shoot a spike buck even if I told him there was better bucks around.  I guess it was fitting that it was a spike I got first....lol. 

I keep the strap high so it is just about tight when I am seated. Trying to minimize fall length if I do go out. I think I may change that though and have the tree attachment just above my waist while standing  and it should be cleared out of the way for a standing shot. 

3 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Back to my regularly scheduled program with the waiting on a 3.5 year old buck. I know nobody here knew my Dad but when he grew up it was any horn they could see. To his last season he'd shoot a spike buck even if I told him there was better bucks around.  I guess it was fitting that it was a spike I got first....lol. 

I keep the strap high so it is just about tight when I am seated. Trying to minimize fall length if I do go out. I think I may change that though and have the tree attachment just above my waist while standing  and it should be cleared out of the way for a standing shot. 

attachment for me is up over my head with the rope style. i keep it so i'm out of length when sitting with a slight lean so i literally can't really fall out when sitting. if i have deer coming in on my off side it takes fractions of a second to give me more length and set the knot for extra assurance with just the one release hand. if it's out front or on my left (right handed) i don't have to touch it sitting. when i stand i've got a little more length as you would with any other strap. with the recurve i noticed i had to get away from the seat more if a close shot so the limbs didn't make contact so the rope style helps there too.

• Like 1

Saturday night I was in a stand that Moog said was "sure to produce a doe".  It's in a big willow and on a fence line that separates an overgrown field and a swamp. At about 6 pm I saw 8 deer working down the overgrown field towards me. The lead doe was the largest and she basically came right down the trail I walked into the stand on. She came right to the stand from my right. So basically a line of deer coming head on. She turned and walked straight ahead as I was facing. Where the stand is placed there is a bunch of brush and "windows" through the brush to shoot through.   The trail she was on would  should have put her broadside at 15 yards when she popped out. She took her time snaking through the brush and then finally popped out and was standing hard quartering away, left side facing me. I had drawn as she emerged and she stopped. I then noticed one of the does in the line staring straight up at me. I picked a spot on her that would slide past her left  hind quarter and enter behind the ribs. I released and the arrow went just a touch further right than I had hoped but still missed the hind quarter. She bolted and there was about a third of the arrow still sticking out. I watched her run straight away for about 40 yards and then hard left turn through an opening in the hedge row and out of sight. This would have her headed right into the swamp. I waited about a half hour and grew more and more unsure of the shot. I got out of the stand and made my way to the road and to the truck. As I was walking down the road I saw a deer take a couple bounds in the swamp and was out of sight. My heart sank. All II could think is that I bumped her trying to skirt around her. 

Moog wasn't there for this hunt. I called him and told him what happened, even me feeling I bumped the deer. He brought up that it could be very possible the deer I "bumped" was a different deer. We both did agree that it was probably best if I let it lay until morning. Temp at 40 over night should be good. 

Sat for a couple hours in he morning and at 830 went down to see what was up. I figured I'd go right to the opening in the brush I saw her go through and try to pick the blood up there. I stepped through the opening and there she was laying. She was dead before I had gotten out of the stand the night before. That night I was bitching to Moog about these 28# limbs and not getting any penetration. I was sure I needed heavier limbs. Well I can see why this one didn't pass through. Is entered mid way between the last rib and hind quarter on the left side, hit the liver and through the off side lung. broke a rib and left a three point star in the right shoulder blade. It made it through a couple feet of deer. Two and a half hours later and she was in the freezer.  Buddy had cosigned over an 8H permit to me to use. It is nuts that they make us wait to November to get second rounds in a area they never give them all out for.  (Saving my Antlerless only tag for NZ Muzzle loading season this coming weekend)

2 for 2!!

• Like 2