I'm sold. Plot and cams

turkeyfeathers

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

That's good news! I put it in 2 failed corn plots. I added some extra clover seed that I had laying around. I just hope we get these storms they have been warning us about all day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you think happened with your corn plots ?   About 20 years ago, one of mine did not germinate at all, but that was the only miss in the last 25 years.  I always use old leftover "free" seed and I think it was bad that year, probably from not being stored properly by the farmer who gave it to me.  I do my best to obtain next years supply at the end of planting season each year.  When I store it up on the shelf in the our basement, where it is dry and the temperature is fairly constant year-round,   germination has been close to 100%, even when it is up to 5 years old.  I used to do germination tests prior to use, but stopped that after experiencing no more failures.  

I am hoping to get in a few more winter wheat / white clover plots this year at home but all the rain we have been getting is pushing my schedule back.  I did finish that up over at my folks place, which is on much better drained ground however.  The turnips that I did manage to get in here in late July are looking real good however, as is the most of the corn that I got in on the weekend after Memorial day.

At home, I kill about 4 deer on foodplots (usually on white clover, wheat or brassicas as they are entering of leaving corn) for every one off.   Putting in and maintaining those plots is nearly as much fun as pulling the trigger, and they provide year-round entertainment.  I always judge the effectiveness of my plots my calculating my cost per pound of boneless venison after subtracting input costs (excluding equipment).   

While putting in foodplots is fun, and hunting them is a cost-effective way of filling the freezer, the actual hunting is a lot more fun up in the Adirondacks.   Killing a deer on the edge of a flat-land corn plot pales in comparison with up in the mountains.  I can't keep four hungry mouths fed on one mountain buck a year though, and those foodplots at home allow me to feed them a lot cheaper than I could by raising beef.         

• Like 1

What do you think happened with your corn plots ?   About 20 years ago, one of mine did not germinate at all, but that was the only miss in the last 25 years.  I always use old leftover "free" seed and I think it was bad that year, probably from not being stored properly by the farmer who gave it to me.  I do my best to obtain next years supply at the end of planting season each year.  When I store it up on the shelf in the our basement, where it is dry and the temperature is fairly constant year-round,   germination has been close to 100%, even when it is up to 5 years old.  I used to do germination tests prior to use, but stopped that after experiencing no more failures.  

I am hoping to get in a few more winter wheat / white clover plots this year at home but all the rain we have been getting is pushing my schedule back.  I did finish that up over at my folks place, which is on much better drained ground however.  The turnips that I did manage to get in here in late July are looking real good however, as is the most of the corn that I got in on the weekend after Memorial day.

At home, I kill about 4 deer on foodplots (usually on white clover, wheat or brassicas as they are entering of leaving corn) for every one off.   Putting in and maintaining those plots is nearly as much fun as pulling the trigger, and they provide year-round entertainment.  I always judge the effectiveness of my plots my calculating my cost per pound of boneless venison after subtracting input costs (excluding equipment).   

While putting in foodplots is fun, and hunting them is a cost-effective way of filling the freezer, the actual hunting is a lot more fun up in the Adirondacks.   Killing a deer on the edge of a flat-land corn plot pales in comparison with up in the mountains.  I can't keep four hungry mouths fed on one mountain buck a year though, and those foodplots at home allow me to feed them a lot cheaper than I could by raising beef.         

Too wet when I planted and we went 33 days without a drop of rain after planting. No big deal I have plenty of corn and all I had invested was fuel and fertilizer as it was last years corn as well.

Food plot success to me is having my daughter see deer in them. Most years there isn't a buck around my house worth killing but it's fun to go out and see deer, especially when she is with me.

• Like 2

Too wet when I planted and we went 33 days without a drop of rain after planting. No big deal I have plenty of corn and all I had invested was fuel and fertilizer as it was last years corn as well.
Food plot success to me is having my daughter see deer in them. Most years there isn't a buck around my house worth killing but it's fun to go out and see deer, especially when she is with me.

And to have my daughter shoot one with slug barrel you sent her Many memories were built on that barrel. Looking forward too building more

• Like 3

And to have my daughter shoot one with slug barrel you sent her Many memories were built on that barrel. Looking forward too building more

When i see that picture I will be smiling ear to ear with a tear in my eye!

That barrel is well trained all you gotta do is get a critter in front of it!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, growalot said:

The pot I just did might not be too bad but I spent the summer discing all the new growth so there was no food there for the deer. 

Careful growing weed and telling people you might get busted!!  ha ha ha

13 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I'm pretty stoked on deer acceptance on small plot we put in. It's iffy when and if brother sells property though so time invested is always iffy. But I can get the addiction on bigger and more from seeing results.

My first ever plot Throw and Grow(14 ish years ago) was just like yours here, hand saw and a steel rake. In the middle of mixed hard and soft woods. Little under brush. They didn't eat much of it but i would like to think  just the fact that there was a big bright green patch in the middle of a fairly open forest floor brought there attention. At the time My 35mm trail camera would have to have a film installed every day or two. This was in the middle of Amish country and zero Ag.