Broadheads

NYBuckHunter27

lol.... so i've got Rage, NAP, Muzzy, and Magnus heads.  Chances are if it's a compound it'll be the same Rage 2 blade titanium heads i've used for years or Muzzy MX-3's i have a pack of just sitting there.  if it's the recurve it'll be Magnus Stingers and if i run out NAP Hellrazr's.  Barely a difference if it's spin tested before it goes into the quiver.  Wind can be screwy between heads but i try to keep all the same heads in my quiver and not mix and match.

125 grain NAP spitfires or muzzy mx3's out of the ground blind (shoot through mesh) for me. I have the wife and boy shooting 100 grain  trufire T1 heads, not sure why they never caught  on but a great little broad head . 

6 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

I shoot the muzzy fixed blade. They fly well and penetrate well. Had one go through the ribcage and break the front leg on the opposite side. I only shoot 55#. 

Works for me,so staying with it.

Nice ! I had a two blade cut on contact Mangus ,  10 Pt , hard rear 1/4ing right under my stand  go through both sides of ribs, exit " armpit " of opposite side and go trough front leg bone .

couple swipes on a fine stone and it went back in quiver .

Edited by Larry302

After 5 seasons w/lighter 2blade mechanical heads and arrows I am switching it up completely.

125gr Strickland Helix w/75gr inserts on 6mm FMJs (shooting both 320&390 spine for now as I get my new bow fine tuned).

480 - 540gr total w/about 14-16% FOCIMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

Edited by OtiscoPaul
  • Like 1

Slick tricks, I've killed over 30 deer with them and have yet to have an issue that I can blame on the head. One of the few nice things about being stationed down south is I was able to kill a ton of deer and that gave me the chance to try a bunch of different broadheads. I will most likely will never shoot another deer with a mechanical head after what I have saw.

The "mechanical no tuning necessary" comments truly make me cringe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 8/28/2017 at 8:17 AM, Buckmaster7600 said:

Slick tricks, I've killed over 30 deer with them and have yet to have an issue that I can blame on the head. One of the few nice things about being stationed down south is I was able to kill a ton of deer and that gave me the chance to try a bunch of different broadheads. I will most likely will never shoot another deer with a mechanical head after what I have saw.

The "mechanical no tuning necessary" comments truly make me cringe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have no reservations about shooting the mechanicals i have.  i completely agree with the last tuning statement though.

WASP Jak-Hammers.  Been shooting them for 15 years or so.  Never let me down. Durable.  Fly like field points.  I shot the 1.25" cutting diameter when I shot a slower bow.  Now that I'm shooting a faster bow, I will switch to the 1.75" cutting diameter.  I like the chisel tips after seeing the resulting broken bones.  I'm a believer in heavier arrows and moderate cutting diameter broadheads.

4/4 last year NAP Slingblade, stocked up on them ($15 per 3) and also bought a pack of the NAP Doublecross, ill try those first since its basically the same thing with 2 extra little bleeders.

You'll have to keep us posted on the double-cross, I was interested until I watched the guys at Bowhunt or die shoot some deer with them, they killed deer but penetration wasn't good at all.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4/4 last year NAP Slingblade, stocked up on them ($15 per 3) and also bought a pack of the NAP Doublecross, ill try those first since its basically the same thing with 2 extra little bleeders.
I am on board....3 for 3 myself...love the slingblade....basically rage without o rings....and much better price

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've always been a Grim Reaper guy.  On an impulse I purchased a package of Rage 100 gr., 2 blade, Chiseltip mechanical.  I will see how they shoot this year.

Surprised that nobody is shooting Rage that has responded so far?  Particularly the chiseltip.  Maybe I made a bad impulse purchase.  Anyone have any good or bad experience with these before I open the package?

13 minutes ago, beachpeaz said:

I've always been a Grim Reaper guy.  On an impulse I purchased a package of Rage 100 gr., 2 blade, Chiseltip mechanical.  I will see how they shoot this year.

Surprised that nobody is shooting Rage that has responded so far?  Particularly the chiseltip.  Maybe I made a bad impulse purchase.  Anyone have any good or bad experience with these before I open the package?

I'm still burning through the original titanium 2 blade Rage heads.  just touched up the blades and put them back together for the last couple deer.  they wouldn't continue the design if they didn't work.  they aren't as heavily marketed as the others so i think they just aren't as popular.  that and they first came out as a 3 blade which was considered barbed here in NY due to the possibility of the blades slightly hanging up on each other when folding forward.