No rain in long range forecast

This is the first time I have seen that all summer.  It looks like my ground might dry up enough to get in a couple more winter wheat / white clover plots in time to see some decent growth by archery season.      

Edited by wolc123

Yep I really boogied to get all mine in before the last rain. If this holds out for a couple of weeks...I would have a poor start to the turnips and legumes.but now everything is germinating great and the cool nights has the dew heavy in the mornings perfect for these type of crops.

• Like 2

I'm laying down Seed tomorrow morning. Really wanted to have it in before the rain we got Tuesday but I had to wait on my neighbor to finish discing. He's a busy guy so not much I could do about that. Just happy he does it at all! Plot looks great now though. Even without the rain the morning dew should be enough to get things going until the next rain.

• Like 1

I will probably wait until mid-week for planting to give my nephew a little longer to come up with the soybeans he has been promising me.  I like to add some to my late-summer wheat/clover mix because they are like candy to deer when they sprout and get them using the plots early.   That has been much more effective on deer for me than spring-planting.   They don't go anywhere near yellowing bean pods during archery season.   I suppose they are quite bitter at that stage.  

30 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

My oats and clover are going in the ground Saturday....

Ya know i havent been able to find beans any where for less than 50.00 a 50# bag. So in the past I have on very small plots used 1# bags of "old"store bought beans I've found on their last chance shelves they have sprouted great and the deer hit them. The other day I was in Sams club,MrB is on a bean kick. Lentils,black ,white beans. So I buy them in bulk and  individually bag small portions with the vac seal. Well they are well below a buck a pound and come in 25# bags. I'm thinking this spring I will do a small area in the cheapest of these with a spring wheat or pea planting to see how they do. If well then they will be a go to fall planting mix. The deer miss all the beans the farmer gave them last year...jumped my garden fence left everything but my pole beens alone. Luckily they wouldn't walk between the rebar mesh fencing and only got either end if a 30 ft row. So Soy or any other,beans are beans to them.

Yea i dont like the extended forecast at all lol. I overseeded a soybean plot of mine on August 7th right before a quick storm. It was the last rain we've gotten here since this past Tuesdays 1" dump... The seed germinated from the 7ths rain, but just sat dormant until Tuesdays rain..  Its been dry since Mid July, I need the rains for my no till plantings lol. Now the seed finally up an inch or two. but needing more rain.. The ground is all cracked and split. 1 more good down pour would be nice! 

Next rain here looks like around the first of september-ish.. I would like to overseed a couple other plots with some cereal grains if we get a good enough rain. if not i dont know if ill have much for brassicas this year without more rain.. time will tell i guess..

Daughter and I going to put in another plot this Tuesday. Up by our ground blind, I think. Not sure how much undergrowth there is to remove but I think it's mostly leaf litter. Having her rake and i'll dance with the kangaroo (Mantis)  Morning dew has been pretty good when I've gone into the woods early morning. Hoping that helps out our current plot with no rain in sight.