Mayweather!!!

chrisw

3 hours ago, sbuff said:

He's beaten Gattie, Hatton, Oscar,Judah, and 46 others . Prime or not 50-0 is 50-0.

Any of you MMA fans still watching hulk Hogan   !!!!!!!

Again...Hatton was the only fight I considered legit.  All the others, he didn't fight until they lost a couple of times.  He fought Oscar at the very end of Oscars career.  I believe Oscar only fought a couple of more times after that and retired.  He was not the same Oscar.  Mayweather never took on a fight and then figured out how to beat his opponent.  He first figured out if his opponent was beatable and if he had the right game plan before he would accept a fight.

Makes me think of the story of Ted Williams the last player to hit 400 for a season.  On the second to last day of the season, he was sitting right at 400 and the Red Sox had the season all wrapped up.  The last day was a meaningless double header.  The manager wanted to sit him so he can finish the year at 400.  Ted Williams insisted on playing.  He went 4 for 5 in game one and 2 for 3 in game two to finish 406 for the season.  That to me is a true record holder.

The fact that Manny Pacquiao was challenging Mayweather to a fight for 8 or 9 years and Mayweather refused to accept tells me all I need to know about Mayweather.  It wasn't until Pacquiao took a couple of loses and clearly wasn't the same anymore before Mayweather finally accepted the fight.

• Like 1

Mayweather shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as some of the great fighters from the past.  Here's one of the greatest fights of the 70's.  George Foreman vs. Ron Lyle.  The real pounding begins after 14:00.  I know these guys are heavyweights, but I'd just like to see Mayweather face a slugger of their caliber.  They'd have to remove him from the arena by ambulance.  I consider Foreman maybe the greatest fighter of all time.  Maybe he didn't hold a title as long as some others, but he was able to come back years later and still have incredible power and stamina and even win back a title.  Plus, all the others like Ali, Frazier, Norton, Lyle, Quarry are long dead while Foreman is alive and well and still has all his sensibilities. 

Edited by steve863

On 8/29/2017 at 9:32 AM, SteveB said:

Top boxers never train wrestling, jujistso(sp), etc. It would be foolish for any boxer to enter a MMA match with a high rated fighter without extensive, high level training that takes years to achieve competitive ability.

Large part of a top MMA fighters training is in boxing. Much more realistic for them to try a boxer supposedly past their prime, than a boxer to try a top MMA fighter in their prime.

Having boxed and done a discipline of martial arts i completely agree with this, that said i'd think would be a logical conclusion.  also MMA is less restrictive offensively than boxing.  top boxer with very little martial arts background would get his/her a** handed to them from a top MMA fighter.  Unlike many opinions related to the convo i don't favor or routinely watch one or the other.

Edited by dbHunterNY

multiple times during the fight they each laughed off certain events.  neither one was serious about wrecking the other, with exception mayweather wasn't going to flat out lose.  it was a faster paced younger equivalent of Romney vs Holyfield.  Fundraising event.  Not a title bout.  many shots mcgregor took in the first few rounds looked like a pillow fight and not like he normally does.  body language and rotation just wasn't there.

i wasn't impressed at all with mayfeather even more so.  i won't say that he's not an awesome boxer with skills and unhuman like endurance. however, if you claim to be the best ever you can't duck your head the whole time or turn around and cover on multiple occasions.

one last thing... a TKO should only be used if any part of your opponent hits the deck so many times.  simply being dog tired is more of a DNF.  McGregor was responsive too.  He could've covered up and saved himself a bit to make it through until the end and then had one last KO drive attempt.  he wasn't thinking, gave up, or didn't want it that bad.  i could think of maybe a 100 million reasons i probably would and not lose any sleep though too.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2017 at 3:28 PM, steve863 said:

Mayweather shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as some of the great fighters from the past.  Here's one of the greatest fights of the 70's.  George Foreman vs. Ron Lyle.  The real pounding begins after 14:00.  I know these guys are heavyweights, but I'd just like to see Mayweather face a slugger of their caliber.  They'd have to remove him from the arena by ambulance.  I consider Foreman maybe the greatest fighter of all time.  Maybe he didn't hold a title as long as some others, but he was able to come back years later and still have incredible power and stamina and even win back a title.  Plus, all the others like Ali, Frazier, Norton, Lyle, Quarry are long dead while Foreman is alive and well and still has all his sensibilities. 

Name 1 fighter at 145 -150 lbs that would ever beaten mayweather?  The answer is zero... Now I agree that boxing blows now and the haglers durans leonards foremans alis and I could go on forever but there is no one in mayweathers weight class that could have beaten him ever.......

Carmen was a huge figure and sports hero in my neck of the woods as I grew up only 20 minutes away from Canastota where he lived and everybody knew who he was. His fights were action packed and some of the best ever, he was very highly regarded in the sports world period as he won the Hickok Belt in 1957 the top award at the time for any athlete.

hickok_belt_award_winner_carmen_basilio_postcard-rd7916cab80c84fc291efd99d0ecd3a06_vgbas_8byvr_630.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2017 at 11:22 AM, sbuff said:

He's beaten Gattie, Hatton, Oscar,Judah, and 46 others . Prime or not 50-0 is 50-0.

Any of you MMA fans still watching hulk Hogan   !!!!!!!

agree and oscar still had alot left in him and was a alltime great fighter..........  And mayweather beat him soundly

Would like to go back in time and put Mayweather in the ring with the likes of Leonard, Duran, Hagler, Hearns, Pacquiao. Of course all being in their prime. Seen a lot of subjective predictions stating Mayweather could not beat any of them...

5 hours ago, skully said:

agree and oscar still had alot left in him and was a alltime great fighter..........  And mayweather beat him soundly

FYI - That fight was ruled a split decision.