feeding question...

22Plinker

As I understand it, feeding deer on any parcel of land they inhabit is illegal?  Or is it just on lands where they are hunted?  This includes mineral blocks, salt licks and liquid mineral products?

I ask this because I have been setting up a small bushcraft blind on a piece of local public land... back in a spot that doesn't seem to get much human travel.  I've been to the spot three times in the last two weeks and on my last visit it looks like someone walked by my blind and started building another one about 45 yards away.  It also appears they dumped some greyish powder (really small pellets with powder) in a 3 foot circle and tried covering it a little with leaves.  The deer have torn the hell out of the ground in that spot.  I just don't want to get busted by DEC for bating deer.  The feeding spot is a little closer to my blind than it is to the other one so it makes it look bad for me.

Any kind of baiting is illegal....don't be surprised within the next couple of years deer urine based scents are banned. ..you want your spot take pictures and put a eco card there asking them to call you that guys blind will be moved quick lol

Edited by silent death
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, growalot said:

Take pics and call the DEC..simple..they will tell you to move on thougb I'm sure...unless they can catch the guy and get him to clean it up. 

I would like to see how fast they jump on that call to go check it out.  I would be more worried about the hunter that close to me than something poured on the ground.

• Like 1

I wouldnt call DEC.  Those teabags will literally be in the woods every day checking for bait.  Had one of those clowns walk under my tree stand every day at 730 am checking for feed 200 yds from me that someone supposedly had bait.  Take picture with cell phone and leave a print out there.  They will leave, trust me.............

So over the last few months I have gotten in good with a DEC Environmental Tech that has a local office. I talked to him this morning about the situation and provided pics and gps coordinates. Also told him about the cabled trail cam near the other blind. I just pulled in to the parking lot closest to the area and there was a box with a snipped cable lock in it sitting near the gate. Looks like they take this crap seriously :)

go 50 yards or the next trail down wind from there.  you never saw the bait pile.  let the hunter do what they'll do.  you could tell DEC.  Eco's may or may not check it out depending on the individual ECO.  it's not dropping a dime on them in my mind.  they just made it your problem.

19 minutes ago, growalot said:

Are tgey makingyou move on?

No the Tech said that since the season starts over a month from now, unless there is a block buried, the powder should be gone. But if I notice more I should not hunt there and call it in to region 7 law enforcement. 

IMG_2791.JPG

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i wouldn't leave any of my stuff there.  hunter could have ASSumptions and hurt feelings.  DEC thinks it's handled but you still have to deal with it.

I have nothing of value there just time spent gathering downed branches really. Worst case scenario I use a pop-up but just in case this all goes south I scouted an area on the opposite side of the swamp. Unfortunately I have a feeling it is more travelled than the first place.