Cost of land clearing

What do you guys think is a fair price for clearing about an acre or woodland Meddow. Maybe 8 trees and a bunch of down branches... thinking of planting a much larger plot next year and don't have the equipment or time to clear it myself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If fire wood If really good timber...find someone close doing a cutting and see what they will do for you...if Good trees say veneer they will come in for just 8, if they are close. They pay for them, you have the $$$ to hire the rest....

Some times guys get a tad crazy with the bull dozing stumps and what not...A good plot takes years any ways...so deal with a stump or 2 off season and plant around them. I have only dug out a few stumps with the backhoe...because the roots were all surface..all others I cut high at first and plant around, then let it sprout a year or two and then cut to ground...Still plant around it and it will just  rot. Cost will depend on whether you hire an equipment operator or a guy with a mower,chain saw and brush whacker....Operator your talking his time per hour and transport cost of hauling in big  equipment.

Take some pics and it will be easier to tell what degree of work would need to be done. Area accessible with decent sized machine like a 25-30hp tractor?

Very easily accessible there is a logging road that leads right to it.. trees are not good timber at all all small trees I do not want them removed just pushed to the side.... I'd love to take a picture but won't be at camp for a few weeks

Very easily accessible there is a logging road that leads right to it.. trees are not good timber at all all small trees I do not want them removed just pushed to the side.... I'd love to take a picture but won't be at camp for a few weeks

So it's basically just an opening in the woods roughly an acre big with a couple small junk trees in it? What does the ground litter look like? Any big rocks you can see? Is the ground in that area rocky to begin with? What kind of vegetation is growing in the field now and how high is it? Is it something that could be cleared of big objects and then brush hogged down then tilled? Sorry for the thousand questions. Just trying to get a good visual of what kind of work would need to go into this. If the ground litter isn't all that bad this doesn't sound like a major undertaking really. The small trees aren't a problem, just drop them and drag off to the side and cut the stump down to ground level and leave it. A front end loader on a tractor can be used to push any other big chunks of wood out of the way and a brush hog will knock down any grasses and trees up to 3-4 inches thick. I'm going to guess your planning on planting small seed stuff so you won't need a super deep tilling so your basically just gonna need to get down to the surface and scratch it up good for some seed to soil contact. Where are you located at? Stuff like this is why I need to buy my own tractor because if your close I'd love to come over and help ya out. I've been relying on my neighbor to do my plots just because it's convenient but I've been itching to get my own equipment so I could maybe do some side work like this.

So it's basically just an opening in the woods roughly an acre big with a couple small junk trees in it? What does the ground litter look like? Any big rocks you can see? Is the ground in that area rocky to begin with? What kind of vegetation is growing in the field now and how high is it? Is it something that could be cleared of big objects and then brush hogged down then tilled? Sorry for the thousand questions. Just trying to get a good visual of what kind of work would need to go into this. If the ground litter isn't all that bad this doesn't sound like a major undertaking really. The small trees aren't a problem, just drop them and drag off to the side and cut the stump down to ground level and leave it. A front end loader on a tractor can be used to push any other big chunks of wood out of the way and a brush hog will knock down any grasses and trees up to 3-4 inches thick. I'm going to guess your planning on planting small seed stuff so you won't need a super deep tilling so your basically just gonna need to get down to the surface and scratch it up good for some seed to soil contact. Where are you located at? Stuff like this is why I need to buy my own tractor because if your close I'd love to come over and help ya out. I've been relying on my neighbor to do my plots just because it's convenient but I've been itching to get my own equipment so I could maybe do some side work like this.

Yes it's a acer filled with junk trees, lots of ground debris left from previous logging. The vegetation is all new growth, ferns grasses poison ivy.. other various weeds I am located in Sullivan county ny. I can almost cut the trees my self except for one or two of them and just have someone clear the land.

Yes it's a acer filled with junk trees, lots of ground debris left from previous logging. The vegetation is all new growth, ferns grasses poison ivy.. other various weeds I am located in Sullivan county ny. I can almost cut the trees my self except for one or two of them and just have someone clear the land.

Doesn't sound to bad. I've been seeing a lot of ads lately of guys doing land clearing with those mulcher attachments on skid steers. They look like they can chew up a lot of stuff really quick. Something like that might be something to look into. Couldn't hurt to get a quote at least. They advertise as it being a very fast thing so it's "more affordable". Whatever that means. But I bet you could get someone in there with just a regular tractor and have it cleared in a day. Then maybe another half day of tilling. I'd think you'd get bids anywhere between $1000-3000ish. Maybe more if it's a big name company. Check the farm/garden services on Craigslist for a few companies who do this kind of work.

Here's one of those mulcher guys.
https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/fgs/d/forestry-mulching-landclearing/6284472736.html

3 to 4 inches with a brush hog is on the optimistic end of the scale.... The brush grinder work well, everyrhing ends up mulch, high end of the price scale.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Doesn't sound to bad. I've been seeing a lot of ads lately of guys doing land clearing with those mulcher attachments on skid steers. They look like they can chew up a lot of stuff really quick. Something like that might be something to look into. Couldn't hurt to get a quote at least. They advertise as it being a very fast thing so it's "more affordable". Whatever that means. But I bet you could get someone in there with just a regular tractor and have it cleared in a day. Then maybe another half day of tilling. I'd think you'd get bids anywhere between $1000-3000ish. Maybe more if it's a big name company. Check the farm/garden services on Craigslist for a few companies who do this kind of work.

Here's one of those mulcher guys.
https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/fgs/d/forestry-mulching-landclearing/6284472736.html

This looks pretty cool
Maybe I'll handle the trees my self and look into this Thanks

Renting, they said that unit goes for $140K. $1000.00/day $3000.00/week. 

Umm. I think they might be pulling a fast one on ya. Those things don't cost that much. Here's a used 2014 mulcher on Craigslist for far less than 140k. Ad says they are 31k new and this used one is $21500.

https://albany.craigslist.org/hvd/d/2014-bradco-mm60-series-ii/6244644647.html

I'm lucky I rent a JD 550 with a 6 way blade for 250 a day. Just rented it last week for 3 days and drive myself. Got pretty good with it. Made 3 food plots, clear my trails throughout my woods wide enough for my pickup. And cleared off my hill overlooking my pond from the house. Rent a machine yourself you save money and have some fun tearing it up. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Umm. I think they might be pulling a fast one on ya. Those things don't cost that much. Here's a used 2014 mulcher on Craigslist for far less than 140k. Ad says they are 31k new and this used one is $21500.

https://albany.craigslist.org/hvd/d/2014-bradco-mm60-series-ii/6244644647.html

I'm just looking at a rental, I'm not buying anything, just repeating what was said at the Bobcat dealer, they have a dedicated skid steer they rent with that forestry cutter, they said it is equipped with special safety equipment required for that attachment