What else do you do...

22Plinker

It's obvious looking at the calendar that 2017-2018 hunting season is almost upon us.  Many have worked all spring and summer on food plots.  Many have sent hundreds if not thousands of arrows down range.  Some have fired a fortune in bullets down range as well.  I see lots of talk about the obvious things everyone does to prepare for a new season but what are the little things... the behind the scenes... things you do as the season grows near? 

I post this because I just got done sharpening the blade on my Mora and my sons Buck, as well as my backup Leatherman.  I use a whetstone passed down from my grandfather, to my father to me.  I can't really explain why, but gathering up our blades and spending the time to put a razor edge on them is calming.  One more knife to go and then I'm going to try to sharpen the broadheads I've been using for practice.

• Like 3

I sharpen too, Get the clothes cleaned and in their containers. reinstall new batteries in my radio and GPS. Basically a once through for small inventory items like surgical gloves and such. 

In the field it is blind and treestand checks and trimming of lanes that may have grown in. 

Then a host of things to do at camp to get ready. fire wood is a big one. 

• Like 1

Air out the pop-up blinds, get batteries for flashlights and head lamp. Wash hunting clothes-air dry-treat with Sawyer's. Make sure knives are sharp. Check hunting socks for holes.... Make sure the things are in my pack that need to be there....

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Drive my wife up the wall about how much im ready and want to get out there. Tell her the same stories again from last year. By the time it gets here shes usually kicking me out the door and handing me my gear just so ill shut up. Thats after she gives me a kiss and tells me she'll see me in december. Lol

• Like 3

Scouting, scouting and more scouting.  Did I mention scouting?

My gear is GTG, I'm fairly OCD about staying organized.  Other than scouting, I'll send some bolts downrange to stay sharp.  Probably won't need more than one trip to confirm rifle scope zero.  My longest shot would be under 100 yards.

I don't do much out of the ordinary , although the night before the season I'll make make a few passes on a fine hone with my knife and clean it .Thats something I've always done .

I don't really scout, I've hunted the same spot 30 years and I like to think I know where to hunt it , but who knows perhaps I'm wrong . My cams went out late and I don't check them much . My ladders are all where I want them , I do have 3 hang ons to put up. This year is a first they did not plant 3 fields that touch my spot, Im believing this will force the deer to move through my hardwoods to get to bedding, instead of bedding  in and moving through the corn .

So those stands will go in the back corners of the woods . 

I need to shoot my bow a bit more ( 6 arrows so far ... ) .

This time of the year I like to get things done around the house , close pool, wash Windows any painting and so on , as it's not getting done Oct - Dec.

Oh I do need to buy more Atomic Fireballs, and see if I can find and beer with a deer on the label . I do have two Dogfish Head Pennsylvania Tuxedo beers left from last year . ( Thanks to Turkey Feathers ! )

oh and we really need to eat what's left in the freezer , I just gave a bunch to a trainer and the gym who I heard say he wanted to eat more wild game . He loved it and shared it with friends who also did. I plan on shooting him a doe this year .

I guess I should go buy my lic. as well .

• Like 1

Intensive target practice going on right now with the bow. Pretty soon the practice broadheads will be going on and we'll see how they are doing. Some years there are some surprises there.

I've already had the .270 out several times this summer, and the results are a beautiful thing. Been using the .223 for off-hand shooting. The results there are adequate, but I need to get out a few more times just before season begins.

• Like 2

just pulled my targets out over the weekend. maybe the latest i've started shooting, but i haven't changed a thing on my setup and will start religiously shooting soon. Most if not all the stands are prep'd and after the wind storm and wet summer it was a bitch to say the least.

clothes washing will come soon.

checked both the slug gun and rifle at the range saturday. getting eager!

• Like 1

was at the range on sunday and its a good feel that season is almost here.  30-06 one shot bullseye- put it back in case til bear season.   20 gauge savage - 5 shots - all good in kill zone. - 30/30 winchester 94, my favorite - Dad helped me buy 30 years ago- also dialed in and ready!  bring on the season! 

I too find it calming to sharpen all mine and my buddies hunting knives. I use a Arkansas wett stone that I purchased over 40 years ago. Still working on dialing in my shoulder for bow season. Put sling on my dream rifle yesterday. All rifles, bows and crossbows are dialed in and ready to hunt. All hunting clothes and new Muck boots are good to go. Still have five more ground blinds that need to be brushed in and touched up. Will get those done this weekend before my next bout with the surgeon on the 7th.

• Like 2

1) Catch a few more King salmon out on lake Ontario 2) Put in two small wheat/clover plots for a neighbor 3) hang a new stand over at my folks place 4) bush-hog some trails & shooting lanes 5) trim around and check condition of existing stands & blinds 6) verify the zero on crossbow, ML, (3) shotguns,and (2) rifles. 7) Use up some more of last year's venison.

Hopefully I will put a big dent in the remaining tasks before the end of Labor-day weekend.   

21 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Drive my wife up the wall about how much im ready and want to get out there. Tell her the same stories again from last year. By the time it gets here shes usually kicking me out the door and handing me my gear just so ill shut up. Thats after she gives me a kiss and tells me she'll see me in december. Lol

My Wife hates when I wash my hunting stuff lol I use the fresh earth scent soap and dryer sheets it stinks up the laundry room...but to me it means hunting season is here 

Edited by silent death
  • Like 2