Hunting Hill Country?

moog5050

I hung my stand in a spot like that,there is always a scrape down there. And it us true that the wind is behaving odd there. The little valley runs ne to sw,and the wind always goes that way unless it comes right out of the south. 

The article makes sense,going to try to keep that in mind for November.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

I hung my stand in a spot like that,there is always a scrape down there. And it us true that the wind is behaving odd there. The little valley runs ne to sw,and the wind always goes that way unless it comes right out of the south. 

The article makes sense,going to try to keep that in mind for November.

Sounds similar to where i set up a blind this year.  Come to think of it someone has been working on a blind in the same area... did you take my spot?  ;)

I had a honey hole on state land that had all the cool
Terrain features, hubs, fingers, etc. the past couple years the land below it has been leased and they rides quads all over it, I'm done with it until they leave. It was a heck of a hike in but I saw numbers and good bucks there especially during rut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

All my hunting the past 9 seasons is finger lakes 1900-2000ft ridge hunting with anywhere from mildly sloped ridgetops grading to steep and sheer for miles of long cliff ridges, or folding overlapping secondary ridges and connecting contours at varying elevations off of meandering drainage crevaces and gorges that meander down the stepped/sloped/steep topography from 2000-1400 ft.

Though the deer can literally go straight up the steepest ravines they enjoy traveling (I assume because of ease, wind favor and cover) across these connecting ridge bowls and basins that cross the gorge/stream and it is always thick with active scrapes.  

The ones just out side the impenetrable thickets just by bedding always seem to be awesome for sightings/harvests on bright crisp days, otherwise they are cyclones.IMG_0020.PNG

Edited by OtiscoPaul
  • Like 1

Speaking of draws that's some fun hunting in Wyoming for mule deer. You might check a draw and find 0 deer, the next one has 40 bucks! Sometimes just throwing a rock into a draw gets them to pop out and stand up.

fdd1d12a5981bf6a5f5864038266e3b8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my neck of NYS, flat ground doesn't happen. If you want to see strange, ever-changing wind currents, this is the place. And what I have noticed is that deer love the places where there is no real direction to the wind.

Tbrishil.jpg

Wind forecasts on TV news really does not correlate directly with what is going on here at home (Bristol). There are a few certain spots where the topography in specific general area wind directions will produce a consistent local result, and it has taken nearly my entire life to locate those spots to use when certain wind predicted directions are forecasted. But it's always a challenge that flatlanders are not faced with to the same extent that us hill people are. Topography vs. wind currents is a science all of its own, and there is way too little written on the subject.

• Like 1

I do a lot of fishing in the adirondacks and when we are on the lake drifting it drives us crazy.  We get halfway down the lake and the wind switches and it blows us back.  So we start up the motor and go the other side of where we want to fish and play the wind in and it blows us in the opposite way again.  My buddy and I always complain about "that damn Adirondack wind" .  Due to the mountains around it def swirls more.