I need an Electrician

BizCT

Anyone a licensed electrician in Westchester County? I am having my hot tub removed and not replaced. I found a pool company from dutchess county that will come and remove it, but they said I need the electric components professionally disconnected. Who can do this job for me? how much? Thanks.

11 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Anyone a licensed electrician in Westchester County? I am having my hot tub removed and not replaced. I found a pool company from dutchess county that will come and remove it, but they said I need the electric components professionally disconnected. Who can do this job for me? how much? Thanks.

Wire cutters and 5 min of time.  Done!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Wire cutters and 5 min of time.  Done!

lol, but no visible wires. maybe under concrete? My circuit breaker box has its own tripper for the hot tub, so I assume these wires need to be capped in some sort of way?

12 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

lol, but no visible wires. maybe under concrete? My circuit breaker box has its own tripper for the hot tub, so I assume these wires need to be capped in some sort of way?

I was going to tell you how to easily do it yourself right up until you used the word "tripper"

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I was going to tell you how to easily do it yourself right up until you used the word "tripper"

Breaker tripper, we all know what he meant.  Seriously, you should be able to shut the breaker off and follow the wiring from inside the unit, but I know you won't Biz.  Or just disconnect wires at the "tripper". 

• Like 4

Correct , must likely it's in conduit run under ground and snubbed up under tub. One of the reasons I bought Hot Springs , it uses a cord to an outside socket my patio was there before the tub ,also no separate breaker box. The cord allows for repositioning of tub too .

Its going to have to be disconected prior to removing tub. There should be an outside disconnect , so servicemen can shut it off from outside in case nobody is home . Shut  off outside disconnect , go,inside shut off breaker,  remove panel cover and disconnect wire going to sub panel .

Just capping and turning off breaker you always run the risk of someone turning it back on , as well as issues with any future home inspections .

The conduit will be sticking out of the  concrete a bit as well that will need to be cut off and plugged.

My buddy would do it for probably $50 it's a fast simple job,youll have to,pay the down state luxury tax rate .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

Breaker tripper, we all know what he meant.  Seriously, you should be able to shut the breaker off and follow the wiring from inside the unit, but I know you won't Biz.  Or just disconnect wires at the "tripper". 

Circuit breaker in garage.

Hot tub outside has nothing visible wire-wise. I always just turned hot tub on or off via the breaker box in garage. I'm assuming the wires run underground to hot tub. No way to open hot tub unless I start breaking sides off with crowbar.

23f2f24181c8c18fa39c191a6b25f3de.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

disconnect it from the circuit in the garage in its entirety.  there should be a panel on one of the sides that opens up so you have access to the motor for the hot tub.  Once you disconnect the circuit there will be no power going to it so you should be able to cut or disconnect the power running to the motor.  Should be pretty easy.  If not reach out to Mike from Bright electric 914-244-4455, he should be able to help you.  

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Correct , must likely it's in conduit run under ground and snubbed up under tub. One of the reasons I bought Hot Springs , it uses a cord to an outside socket my patio was there before the tub ,also no separate breaker box. The cord allows for repositioning of tub too .

Its going to have to be disconected prior to removing tub. There should be an outside disconnect , so servicemen can shut it off from outside in case nobody is home . Shut  off outside disconnect , go,inside shut off breaker,  remove panel cover and disconnect wire going to sub panel .

Just capping and turning off breaker you always run the risk of someone turning it back on , as well as issues with any future home inspections .

The conduit will be sticking out of the  concrete a bit as well that will need to be cut off and plugged.

My buddy would do it for probably $50 it's a fast simple job,youll have to,pay the down state luxury tax rate .

We were actually going to get a Hot Springs, but now getting nothing since we don't use it much and about to get new siding, deck, and front door done.

31 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

There has to be a removable access panel on that tub, for sevice work . 20 years old I guarantee somethings been replaced, pumps and heaters seldom last anywhere near that long .

yea it must be the front, screws are all stripped and painted over several times. I have only lived there since 2015 so I never bothered to take panel off. I can pry my way in and disconnect it I'm sure, but I am more concerned about the lines being properly capped.

I get it . When our kids were young ( had mine 20 years) we used it a lot for years, as they grew they used it with their friends a lot and the Mrs and I not as often .

Today the oldest still stops over with her co workers, I've taken to calling that " nurse night !) 

One of my favorite things to do is when we have company over , is I put on two suits , after being in it awhile, I'll say " the best way to enjoy the tub is in the nude", and reach below the water, remove the outer suit and toss it on the fence ....

• Like 3

All done. Lock it up Mods!

Disconnected at hot tub, outside breaker, and inside main breaker box. Also disconnected the breaker and timer for deck lights since I'm getting a new deck in spring. Anyone need a fancy digital timer for low watt lighting? PM me, I think the previous owners paid a few hundred for it

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I've got the opposite issue, I need an outlet run out to the pool area. Town of Clarence code requires it to be 200' under ground out to a post 40' above the water line blah blah blah. Shouldn't cost me more than $4k

That is a little extreme for trench depth...200 ft....lol

22 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I've got the opposite issue, I need an outlet run out to the pool area. Town of Clarence code requires it to be 200' under ground out to a post 40' above the water line blah blah blah. Shouldn't cost me more than $4k

Ya when our pool went in the the town would come out inspect one thing and say " now you need to do,X" after a few of those I stopped calling them .

Building was going crazy at that time and my pool inpaection dropped off the radar . My buddy did the electric and it's to code, but they nit picked everything else .

Part of my job is fire inspections of business and residential units above 7 .

I only write up things that would kill someone, or obvious easy to fix things .

My fence was within 5' of the water in a couple spots so I had to Bond it to the main ground. Driving rods for grounding was not acceptable. I called the fence guy and he says am I expected to know the code for your town?? I actually think that yes, he should but what do I know. Sorry to jack your thread Biz

My fence was within 5' of the water in a couple spots so I had to Bond it to the main ground. Driving rods for grounding was not acceptable. I called the fence guy and he says am I expected to know the code for your town?? I actually think that yes, he should but what do I know. Sorry to jack your thread Biz

No worries, my job is done. Unless anyone wants a timer for Cheap

On 8/31/2017 at 8:38 AM, The_Real_TCIII said:

Do u mean 20" under and 4' above? That will also depend on if u go bare wire, uf i believe, or metal conduit or pvc. The conduit will change the depth of the trench needed. Im not certified but i can help if needed, ive wired hot tubs and such.

3 hours ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Do u mean 20" under and 4' above? That will also depend on if u go bare wire, uf i believe, or metal conduit or pvc. The conduit will change the depth of the trench needed. Im not certified but i can help if needed, ive wired hot tubs and such.

I was just kidding about 20' but i think it may be 18". I appreciate your help, probably a project for next Spring

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/30/2017 at 12:04 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Circuit breaker in garage.

Hot tub outside has nothing visible wire-wise. I always just turned hot tub on or off via the breaker box in garage. I'm assuming the wires run underground to hot tub. No way to open hot tub unless I start breaking sides off with crowbar.

23f2f24181c8c18fa39c191a6b25f3de.jpg

You need to take this picture again for before and after purposes