The disease has spread

stoneam2006

nice rig.

not sure what the particulars are on the boat as far as age, hours, storage etc. 

If the bellows, shift boots have not been changed I would suggest that you have them changed. they are prone to dry rot and often times not noticeable that they are suspect until they tear out.  

Have the outdrive serviced, change the lower unit oil, new water pump, grease the gimble bearing.

good luck with the boat. sportcraft made a decent boat.

• Like 1

nice rig.
not sure what the particulars are on the boat as far as age, hours, storage etc. 

If the bellows, shift boots have not been changed I would suggest that you have them changed. they are prone to dry rot and often times not noticeable that they are suspect until they tear out.  
Have the outdrive serviced, change the lower unit oil, new water pump, grease the gimble bearing.

good luck with the boat. sportcraft made a decent boat.

Thanks reel. I checked it over washed and rigged it today. Looks good to me and seems in really nice shape. Talking to the mechanic that did my last boat work going up there middle of October to get winterized and a work list done for over winter and get things taken care of before this season. Hope to God I can get thru the next 6 weeks with it. I am really wowed by the condition in person. Really would like to get kicker on there asap tho

1991 sportcraft 260 501 v8 (says 558 hr) volvo penta outdrive. Last owner has had for 8 years always stored in carport and used yearly.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Congrats and enjoy it !

My parents had a boat since I was born , got  my first when I was 12 ( 58 now ) . Since '85 I've had my parents '64 Starcraft , 17 footer . I've avoided the 2 footitus ,  Altough I can't count the number of my friends who bought a boat, then a bigger one and a few short years later were no long boat owners .

Im on year 46. Gas, oil and ramp fees have been about all my costs . The engine is new it's an '83 Johnson . Boat has been stored inside since new.

Its been sunk once , but runs good as new .

image.jpeg

Congrats and enjoy it !
My parents had a boat since I was born , got  my first when I was 12 ( 58 now ) . Since '85 I've had my parents '64 Starcraft , 17 footer . I've avoided the 2 footitus ,  Altough I can't count the number of my friends who bought a boat, then a bigger one and a few short years later were no long boat owners .
Im on year 46. Gas, oil and ramp fees have been about all my costs . The engine is new it's an '83 Johnson . Boat has been stored inside since new.
image.jpeg
Damn that pic is brutal. Glad still going strong. This is my 2nd legit boat and plan yo keep her and invest long term. She's got everything I want....that i know of anyway lol

903.jpg

7 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Congrats and enjoy it !

image.jpeg

Sevens are cool but sixes not so much.  The only picture I can find, with the 17 foot Sylvan that I bought new in 1989 in it, is this one of a 37" northern that I caught on a rainy day up on the St Lawrence a couple years ago.   That boat was slightly under-powered with the Johnson 60 hp 3-banger that it came with.  I used it a lot in the early years (before I got married) and wore out that 60 in about 10 years.  The new 70 hp Johnson that I replaced it with is just right and I have not desired a larger boat or motor since then.   This sized boat is just right to take advantage of almost all of NY's fresh-water fishing.  It does not do anything quite perfect, but it will do it all:

Trolling the great lakes with a couple of downriggers and/or planer boards, pushed by the 70 hp main engine (trolls down real good and keeps the electronics charged), chasing largemouth in shallow backwater bays with the bow-mount 30 lb thrust electric motor, and back-trolling wind-swept structure for walleyes with the 15 hp Johnson kicker are all things that it does pretty good.  Thousands of fish have made the journey to "fish-heaven" (our family's and friends food supply) over the last 28 years on that vessel.  

If the twofootitis sets in, Stone may be looking for a 27 footer in a year or two.     

Edited by wolc123

Damn really guy said he averaged 15 towing in his 25. Figured just gaining lower rpm and stronget suspension. I'd go diesel if they weren't 20k more

I have owned 3/4ton gas trucks for my entire driving life and although they have gotten better they are still about the same 16hwy 14 around town 10-12 towing. I have a 16 ford with the 6.2 last one was a gmc with 6.0 my cousin that lives next door to me has a 16 dodge 2500 and he averaged 1mpg worse than me last winter hauling snowmobiles on trips with the same trailer.

What tiny bit you might gain towing you will loose way more in daily driving.

If you were hauling everyday than a 3/4 ton is a no brainer as a weekend boat hauler if your legal and safe stick with he half ton and enjoy the mileage and comfort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2