In your opinion.....

zeus1gdsm

Sorry to hear that. Maybe that's a skill issue by the user? Won't say how many book bucks have lost the battle in the climber but to have I believe 6 now I'm the arsenal they get used a lot. To the point that they stay hidden in the few spots I hunt the most with one always in the back of the pickup. I have killed a great number in lock on's set up in great spots that will always see deer travel thru the year but to hunt a new spot for a certain buck or areas like Letchworth where a buck may be seen a mile or better down in the bottoms in the morning finds me in that bottom that afternoon up a tree in no time. I would like to see the guy that could meet me or anyone good with their climber stand at a tree and have the guy with a lock on with sticks or anything else make it 15 feet in the air faster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol, maybe it's a skill issue. Very rarely stand hunt public land so I'll stick with my lock on and screw in steps. I would certainly take you up on the 15ft race. Being tall certainly helps but I only need 4 steps to get 15ft into a stand and at about 15 seconds a step I would bet I'm sitting in under 3 -4 minutes.

It's not even about how fast you can get up in the tree. It's how little effort is required to do so. Personally, if I'm going in to a new spot to setup in a tree, I'm already walking in 30 mins earlier than I would if a stand was already up. I like to take my time doing this stuff so I don't over heat and start sweating like a pig. I can very easily get a hang on and sticks up in less than 15 mins taking my time, stopping to breathe and going easy not to make a lot of noise. Im sure I could hammer away and get a lock on up in 5 mins or less if I really wanted to. But what's the rush?

• Like 2

It's not even about how fast you can get up in the tree. It's how little effort is required to do so. Personally, if I'm going in to a new spot to setup in a tree, I'm already walking in 30 mins earlier than I would if a stand was already up. I like to take my time doing this stuff so I don't over heat and start sweating like a pig. I can very easily get a hang on and sticks up in less than 15 mins taking my time, stopping to breathe and going easy not to make a lot of noise. Im sure I could hammer away and get a lock on up in 5 mins or less if I really wanted to. But what's the rush?

I agree! Most important to me sound. That includes walking in and setting up. Haven't found I climber or a set of sticks as quiet as screw ins.

So today I hung a stand . the 4 sticks, stand and tired off safety line above the stand and then on the first stick , total time 11 minutes, had the 4 sticks on in 4, was shocked it took 7 for the rest.

Clock started  with sticks  tied togather next to stand and rope not tied to sand yet, stopped when I was back on the ground and tied rope off on first stick. This stand won't move all season which is why I set it up like that, I could have hunted out of it in 10 I guess.

One trip up,tree. Put first stick on tree, then daisy chain all the others so I can pull them up and attach as I go, life line used as haul line , tied to stand and my belt loop, hauled up when I'm on 4th stick. 

Stand got stuck on branch on ground took some pulling to free and then I rested a bit ....

No doubt I could be up in my LW climber faster maybe 5 minutes , I'm 58 and move slower now .....

I keep one stand and sticks ready for new spots, or invites to,other spots .

I like that I can climb down when Mother Nature calls, or I drop a call , I like not having to hunt for " climber trees" it's worth the extra 5 minutes or so to me .

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1

Just snagged a killer deal (in my opinion) at Herb Phillipsons. A 4 pack of aluminum climbing sticks (1 3/4lb each) with straps and folding serrated/angled foot steps for $31.99! Normally $89.99! On clearance for $40 and 20% off on top of that. I've been eyeballing these for stands I hang way back, this way I can hang multiple sets and use the same sticks and I doubt anyone will walk off with my stands with no way to get to them.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

IMG_20170905_184930982_HDR.thumb.jpg.53fIMG_20170905_184948572.thumb.jpg.4027898IMG_20170905_184956351.thumb.jpg.54654ff

That's Great ! LW are pricey , I bought two sets used off guys on the forum .

Its super easy to take a couple or all I guess with you . I hunt private land and in 30 years have not had an issue , so,I mostly leave mine on the tree .

I've used both and I prefer the fixed stands with a set of sticks. My first complaint about climbers is there are hardly any trees in my area that are straight with no branches. We have a long term lease on hunting land and I generally don't move my stands. If I do hang a new stand it's generally not during the season so spooking the deer is not really a concern. I bring enough stuff with me, I can't imagine having to carry a stand in too. I could see how a climber would benefit you though if you weren't sure where you were going to sit and were out scouting around. The ability to climb a tree quickly when you find the right spot could definitely be a plus.

Hunted for 2 years with a summit viper. I was always sweaty, never high enough and always louder than I wanted to be. I became a pro after over 100 sits but a nicely setup and positioned hang on is the way to go if you own/lease the land.

I have used my climber to scout new spots though when not sure I want to put in the effort yet. Or when bear hunting public land.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Climbers need straight trees. Non ice or slippery bark.. I have straight trees but the tree I need in range to kill the target animal with a bow is always leaning or twisted or limby..  

I learned very quickly to pick a tree within 20 yards of where I expect to get a shot and ln that 20 yard circle from that spot the wind picks the tree needed..not the type of stand.. Hang ons give you that ability to use the tree needed...

• Like 1

On 9/2/2017 at 1:10 AM, Four Season Whitetails said:

If you want to kill bigger mature deer a climber is almost a must. Try moving that lock on 2-3-4 times as needed.

it all depends on how and where you hunt. We have close to 10 stands on a 50 acre property. No need to move the stands, you move to them. 

for public land or those who don't want to invest the time to maintain 10 stands then yes, a climber is a better option. I guess you still need good approach trails and shooting lanes etc., so investing a little more time to hang one with some stick seems obvious for a land owner/lease. 

I like the versatility of a light hang on, because you can put them in a tree with a lot of branches, like a pine or hemlock tree. You don't need to find a straight tree with few limbs. And tree's with few limbs don't have much cover and I just feel more secure up 20 ft with some branches around me. I have a few light hang on stands that I pack in and place during the season to hunt once or a few times.  I do see the advantages of being mobile with a climber though.

On 9/2/2017 at 6:27 AM, chrisw said:

It still boggles my mind that anyone could think sticks and a stand is less or easier work than using a climber!? And don't even mention the comfort difference.

maybe i misunderstood the question, but if the question is set a hang on and leave it for the season or carry a climber in and out and up and down every hunt, it would boggle my mind to think a climber is less work.

Now if we're talking doing a hang on temporarily? hell yes i agree with you.

maybe i misunderstood the question, but if the question is set a hang on and leave it for the season or carry a climber in and out and up and down every hunt, it would boggle my mind to think a climber is less work.
Now if we're talking doing a hang on temporarily? hell yes i agree with you.

We are talking about walking in to hunt with a climber or stand/sticks on your back. Nothing is hung already. Maybe because I use my climber 50+ times a year that it's become second nature to me but I still feel it's less work than hanging a set, and I can do it damn near silent. Last year I came down the tree around 10AM and when I got to the base I saw a buck feeding 50 yds away, I slowly went all the way back up the tree and that deer never had a clue. The advantages/disadvantages to either. Now if a stand was already hung and all I needed was a set of sticks to access it that might change my answer...

• Like 1

With my summit open shot I can be up that tree settled in fewer than 5-6 minutes, without sweating. For some reason I get unbelievable anxiety when I get to my tree, I need to be up in it ASAP. I've watched the videos I see guys setting sticks and a platform just as quickly but I've not tried it myself.

Do the best of both worlds, get tree climbing spikes for your boots, and a light hang on. Lighter than both and branches or not they aren't an issue. I bet it would be faster than both and lots less noise. Any noise you do have would sound like a porcupine tearing into a tree granted you don't clang the stand.

i have and hunt using both.  no way in hell am i carrying in a heavy climber with bells and whistles.  the idea is almost counter intuitive.  compared to my summit open shot that's like 14 lbs total.  there is also no way i'm hulling climbing sticks and a hangon as they're probably weighing more than that.  also no way i can screw in steps with less effort.  i'll admit the biggest PITA is finding the tree and deciding on where to setup at a spot.  do it enough though you get good at it.  honestly i don't have to be a certain height up either and i often climb until i reach branches, because that means i've probably got back cover.

Do you want to hunt deer or hunt for a tree?

A climber is lighter, more comfortable and faster to get in position. A hang on and sticks has the distinct advantage of allowing you to hunt where a climber simply wont go.

Only you can decide what is more important.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chrisw said:

We are talking about walking in to hunt with a climber or stand/sticks on your back. Nothing is hung already. Maybe because I use my climber 50+ times a year that it's become second nature to me but I still feel it's less work than hanging a set, and I can do it damn near silent. Last year I came down the tree around 10AM and when I got to the base I saw a buck feeding 50 yds away, I slowly went all the way back up the tree and that deer never had a clue. The advantages/disadvantages to either. Now if a stand was already hung and all I needed was a set of sticks to access it that might change my answer...

then i would vote climber, but i also think there is no right answer. As many have mentioned it depends on the tree. When I climber hunted i never once climbed a tree i hadn't already scouted or trimmed and of course found some that would be great but wouldn't work for a climber. With both cases you need to find and mark some potential trees and decide what method will work best. 

Edited by Belo

My Hang ons are way more comfortable than a climber.. And much lighter.. I've used a climber and they are heavy noisy and a pain of you drop something let alone the scare you get when the foot platform or seat section slips.. For gun they may serve a purpose .. Just never found a tree in thick cover I can climb up with a climber..  And it seems that most.climbers are only effective if up 20 plus feet...sorry I'll weave between limbs and have great cover 10 to 15 ft in most of my sets.. Rarely do I find an area I can get over those hights and not lose all shooting ability due to tree tops in the way.. 

• Like 1

Whatever works for each guy and situation . But if sticks and a hang on are to heavy to carry in how do,you guys ever get the deer out ?

Homestly my LW hang on is way lighter then my LW climber , adding in the sticks its about the same .

1 hour ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Whatever works for each guy and situation . But if sticks and a hang on are to heavy to carry in how do,you guys ever get the deer out ?

Homestly my LW hang on is way lighter then my LW climber , adding in the sticks its about the same .

my summit open shot is 14 lbs i think.  most hang-on and stick combos weigh more with the lightest combos weighing the same.  just the idea of not carrying more weight and more parts is all.  

i plan how to get deer out.  doe are shot usually in an ag field were i can back the truck up to them tailgate down. bucks require a a text message of the rack laying in the dirt to get people there.  then once i've got others there it's followed by a hey while we're all here.  their still fired up and hardly notice.