Early Bear - Fall 2017

Rattler

Anyone have any plans to hunt bear in the early season this year?  Thinking about going out.

I'll be heading out as soon as I am back in the adk's. don't know if I'll find a bear this season, but I'll be out there all the same. Might try some trips into the Catskills too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

High Bear Activity in Eastern High Peaks and Giant Mountain Wilderness: Bears have been very active in approaching hikers and campers around Marcy Dam, Lake Colden, and Feldspar Lean-to in the Eastern High Peaks Wilderness and around Roaring Brook Falls in the Giant Mountain Wilderness. All visitors to these areas are advised to practice proper management of food, trash, and toiletries to prevent negative encounters with bears and creating nuisance bears including:

• Store ALL food, toiletries, and garbage in bear resistant canisters 
  • Bear resistant canisters are required in the Eastern High Peaks and strongly encouraged in the Dix Mountain Wilderness
  • BEAR HANGS DO NOT WORK in this area
  • Cook and eat away from your campsite before dark
  • Do not leave food unattended
  • Know what to do in a bear encounter
  • Consider carrying bear spray for close encounters with bears

7 hours ago, WingNut said:

Any advice would be appreciated.

The best advice I could give is to make sure you are prepared. Compass, GPS, Topo, hi-lift Jack anything you can get your hands on. I have made quite a few trips to the moose river plains and have not been successful. It is a BIG area and in most places there are no cell phone service. :taunt: Beautiful place to get lost if a person wanted to. There is game there but you have to earn them to get them. Something else to think of if you go to the Moose River Recreation area make sure to sign the book at the entrance so someone will know you are there. Take a companion if possible and use two way radios because cells almost never work.

As vast and as nice as the area is...it is the only place I have ever hunted and got ripped off. A friend of mine & I camped there for a week during early bear season and when we returned  from one of our afternoon hunts someone had gone into our tent and took a bunch of stuff. The local police took a report but that was a complete waste of time. For all we know they have been the ones to rip us off.

We still had a good time and made the best of it and went back with no further problems.

1 hour ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Never had the chance to go, and it looks like I won't get the chance this September either. Hopefully next year, or if im lucky ill get a shot at one during rifle season. Good luck to all who are going out! 

I only see them during gun season anyways ..I don't know how I would feel ground hunting for bear with a bow 

Edited by silent death

15 hours ago, WingNut said:

Any advice would be appreciated.

have been up there trout fishing years ago.  Saw scat up near lost ponds on the trail.  Was fishing sumner creek and there was a guy standing on the bridge that we could see back where we started.  Then 2 guys.  We fished for a bit and came back and had gotten a few trout and came back and they were still there.  Guy said "you never saw it did you?"  And when I asked 'what' he said there was a bear about 40 yards from us up the creek and it kept moving just ahead of us for like 3 different holes. I did see tracks and scat but never saw the bear.  That stuff is thick. Dont really have an idea where to start up there but a lot of it is really thick and swampy for sure.  

8 hours ago, Steve D said:

The best advice I could give is to make sure you are prepared. Compass, GPS, Topo, hi-lift Jack anything you can get your hands on. I have made quite a few trips to the moose river plains and have not been successful. It is a BIG area and in most places there are no cell phone service. :taunt: Beautiful place to get lost if a person wanted to. There is game there but you have to earn them to get them. Something else to think of if you go to the Moose River Recreation area make sure to sign the book at the entrance so someone will know you are there. Take a companion if possible and use two way radios because cells almost never work.

As vast and as nice as the area is...it is the only place I have ever hunted and got ripped off. A friend of mine & I camped there for a week during early bear season and when we returned  from one of our afternoon hunts someone had gone into our tent and took a bunch of stuff. The local police took a report but that was a complete waste of time. For all we know they have been the ones to rip us off.

We still had a good time and made the best of it and went back with no further problems.

That is horrible.......

10 hours ago, Steve D said:

There are usually some good deals on garmin handhelds throughout the year. I bought a 64ts a few years ago... or maybe 62 i can't remember. Anyhow, it works everywhere and allows you to store waypoints and even routes (because sometimes the gps thinks the quickest way is the straight line up the mountain). It was probably the best $250 i ever spent because hunting the national forest of Mississippi is not a good place to get turned around. It was even better to scout. You use the aerial imagery and topo maps at home to set points you want to check out, load them into the gps and you're good. 

I'll be in this general area next weekend. As you can see there's not a whole lot of roads to come upon if you get turned around lolCapture.JPG

This was in the DEC digest for anyone still looking lol

High Bear Activity in Eastern High Peaks and Giant Mountain Wilderness: Bears have been very active in approaching hikers and campers around Marcy Dam, Lake Colden, and Feldspar Lean-to in the Eastern High Peaks Wilderness and around Roaring Brook Falls in the Giant Mountain Wilderness. All visitors to these areas are advised to practice proper management of food, trash, and toiletries to prevent negative encounters with bears and creating nuisance bears including

4 hours ago, Belo said:

This was in the DEC digest for anyone still looking lol

High Bear Activity in Eastern High Peaks and Giant Mountain Wilderness: Bears have been very active in approaching hikers and campers around Marcy Dam, Lake Colden, and Feldspar Lean-to in the Eastern High Peaks Wilderness and around Roaring Brook Falls in the Giant Mountain Wilderness. All visitors to these areas are advised to practice proper management of food, trash, and toiletries to prevent negative encounters with bears and creating nuisance bears including

I've been thinking of heading into the High Peaks this coming season.  Might try some predator calling with the bear in that area.  I heard of some hunters out west in Washington or Oregon who have used that tactic with good success in the densely wooded areas out there.