Fertilizer recommendation requested

I am doing several food plots with different blends. For two of the blends, I don't have fertilizer info:

EasyPlot Deer Food Plot Seed    A blend of clover, ryegrass, brassica

Evolved Harvest Throw Gro X-treme Oats Food Plot    A blend of ryegrass, oats, rape, red clover

I don't fully understand how nitrogen works, but it sounds like for these blends some of the plants add nitrogen and others consume nitrogen, so its a wash? I'm not convinced. Can anyone tell me what fertilizer blend to use? I am buying a bunch of 13-13-13 for the brassica fields, just use a lesser amount of that? Thanks.

Edited by goosifer
wasnt finished

6 hours ago, tuckersdaddy said:

what does your soil sample tell you?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The soil sample focused on ph level/how much lime was needed. The fertilizer should be tailered to what is planted I would think. I am going to just do all the fields the same, approximately 260 pounds per acre of 15-15-15. Thanks.

5 hours ago, bugsNbows said:

I'd suggest the K.I.S.S. theory. Just use the triple 13 you have. Nitrogen tends to be very water soluble and many soil analysis labs don't even bother to test for it. 

I would do as bugs stated.  I only use Triple 15 and I use it @300 lbs per acre each year on everything.  260 should be fine .

I doubt 400 ppa would cause an issue but you never know.  More than likely they would germinate and die from nitrogen burn.  But I am not an expert on this either.  I just know that it is commonly stated to spread 300 - 400 ppa of triple 15 on things like brassica.  I go with 300.  Honestly, I doubt it would be a problem but why go over what your recommendation is?

I don't go by the soil test other than for lime.  A friend of mine who does food plots (but does not do mine) told me to lay it down each time you plant.  So far I have followed his advice and everything has worked out great.  Brassicas are nitrogen hogs but they also like a lot of phos.  I plant my grains heavy (based on LC MIx) so I want a lot of fert on them as well.

But as years go by I may adjust.  It is always a work in progress.  300 ppa of triple 15 on anything I plant seems to work well.

• Like 1

Just wondering how easily you could screw up a plot if you didn't do a soil test or just guessed what you needed. 
very easily.... You can end up with no growth, or overspend on what growth you get. Food plots arent black magic... Its simple agriculture. All the formulas and proscesses are allready proven. You just have to follow it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2