Brassica help

So I planted brassicas in a 1/4 acre of new ground, next to 1/4 acre of existing plot.  The germination was spotty, but the plants that came up looked good.  I overseeded some bare or thin spots with some leftover seed.  Last weekend things looked decent.  I went yesterday to spread urea and the deer had half killed the plot.  There were actually 6 deer in there when I went to fertilize.  

Will the urea and rain help the plot bounce back?  Has anyone had luck "saving" a late plot with cereal grains? Do brassicas change color normally, or do reddish leaves signal a deficiency?  

Separately, I planted WI Fusion in the other 1/4 acre with forage oats as a nurse crop.  It's filling in nicely, but the deer are keeping it mowed down.  Do you use a high nitrogen fertilizer to feed the oats and chicory, or a low nitrogen fertilizer to boost the clover?  I didn't seed my oats at a high enough rate, so I'm getting grass already.  Live and learn.

I know it's a lot of questions, but I figured some of the food plot whizzes might have some sound advice.  Thanks to anyone who bothered to read this rambling, as well as anyone willing to share their experience & thoughts.

Purplish reddish color is a nutrient deficiency yes. As for saving your plots I would over seed on the extra heavy side with a winter wheat or forage oat. Some brassicas(if a forage brassicas) will regrow, just depends what species you planted. But this late in the year still wouldn't amount to much if they did regrow. As for oats and chicory/clover. The clover and chicory should help the oats with nitrogen needs. Not sure on ideal fertilizer to use. The only fertilizer I use is urea .. cause I'm cheap. I just rotate crops. But I definitely would not put urea on that oat chicory clover plot. If you over seed a good cereal grain in, once they start growing you can spread urea..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Lack of phosphorous and or colder soils when young. 

That is my guess too. Brassica are heavy nitrogen feeders but the color indicates a phosphorous need.

At 1/4 acre you could easily grab a bag or two of triple 10 or 15 and spread it. I'd probably overseed oats or winter rye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

The purple color in brassicas is Phosphorous deficiency.  No doubt.  I had it happen here once.

I use triple 15 (15-15-15) on all my stuff at a rate of 300 pounds per acre.  So it would be 75 pounds on a 1/4 acre.  Around there parts, it would cost $18 (1.5 bags).

You stated you planted your oats too thin.   I would not have planted them so early.  I try to plant my grains around September 15th but, of course, my land is not yours.  

I would put down Winter Rye at a rate of 150 lbs. per acre (~37 lbs for a 1/4 acre).  Throw in the above triple 15 at the said rate.  I use that much because they hammer it.  You can still use oats as well.  Or mix them.  But I like Winter Rye because it stays green so much longer and I don't seem to notice any difference between one grain or another.  

I am not trying to be preachy.  It is just my opinion and experience.  Still plenty of time to get something going.  

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  The brassicas got 50lbs of triple 19 when I planted them, and some urea the other day.   I have some 5-24-24 that I got for clover.  I guess I could give it some of that.  I don't have anywhere super close to get fertilizer, so I hate to make a special trip. It's a brand new plot, so I expected it to be a process. I would like to plant a bigger area, but it's not possible.  I may just go with perennials.

The oats are fine, I just didn't use a full rate. (20lbs instead of 30+)  I was thinking I should go lighter because it was in a mix.  Live and learn.  I had time to lime, till, fertilize and plant, so that's when I did it.  I don't have time for it now, but I'll overseed with more oats and triticale.  That plot looks good, but I didn't crowd out the grass. 

Thanks for the input folks.  I'll post a report in a couple weeks with my results.

I have been following this thread and hVe a question about over seeding a brassica plot. Do you just walk through and spread the rye over the plot?  I have a plot that is doing well, but have a few bare spots-I'd like to get something growing.

Thanks.